IGNORED

turner prize winner 2011

keltoi

saying art is dead is such a ridiculous blanket statement that applies blindly only within a very small-minded context.

that said, calling something art can be just as completely ridiculous.

the true artist creates and exists in a wholesome and genuine manner, without need of validation and passes no judgement on another.

saying art is dead is such a ridiculous blanket statement that applies blindly only within a very small-minded context.

that said, calling something art can be just as completely ridiculous.

the true artist creates and exists in a wholesome and genuine manner, without need of validation and passes no judgement on another.

Art is dead because all art today that's made for arts sake seems to primarily function as a subversion of classical definitions of art, meta-art or endless pop-culture masturbation. The only successful artists that create aesthetically pleasing works of art create their works for marketing & illustration purposes. Maybe art is this alive thing that rebels, kicks around and evolves, but looking at stuff like the Turner winner and contrasting it with historical periods like the renaissance, I'm pretty sure it's just fucking dead - and we can't get that into our heads, because we are culturally programmed to repeat our habits of the past in new fashions to make ourselves feel more evolved and advanced than our predecessors. Sure, Michelangelo worked for the vatican but that only seems to further the idea that brands are the real religions of today. In that context I don't think such a thing as art can function. Everyone has their own definitions of art and some seem to think art changes, but why the fuck call it the same word when there's barely anything between the various forms of art in common besides conscious intention? That just means we get shit like dead cows or sharks being called art and there's nothing to do about it. Therefore I prefer to cling to the idea that art is dead.

Doesn't mean there's no point in it (and music is another discussion entirely), but it's something else. And what that is probably needs a new word. Cultural masturbation clings right to me.

Archived