IGNORED

Fred McGriff's Top 5 Foodstuffs to Spend Extra Money On

Fred McGriff

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

near marnixstraat, on the edge of the jordaan. IF i could choose were to live in this city, it would be in de jordaan proper (brouwersgracht, to be precise, in a woonboat) or on the far southern outskirts in some farm along the amstel, lol.

i used live on hembrugstraat in westerpark. jordaan is my favourite bit of a'dam.

i also used live on the edge of amsterdamse bos, i loved it there.

Ice cream too. Cheap ice cream is rubbish.

this is true.

i haven't really found a price/taste correlation with olive oil, though. the organic stuff is a little spicier, that's the main difference i've noticed.

supposedly you can't trust the labels on imported stuff, anyway. none of it's really extra virgin.

http://www.guardian....-oil-food-fraud

http://mamanatural.com/virgin-olive-oil-scam-fraud/

i get "new world" olive oil from california, mainly to put on bread.

the difference between extra virgin and virgin is a lot smaller than the difference between virgin and the next one down in my experience.

once got in a pretty serious fight/argument with ex-voto over this. we didn't talk to each other for about an hour afterwards. bottomline is, i think it's not true, and in the spirit of spending extra, i re-enforce my stance.

i get my oil bottles filled at haarlemmerdijk, they import direct from italy (and one greece producer), small tanks that they tap the oil out of. lovely shop, hot staff.

corruption hits the common folk. the best italian foodshops are run by the common folk, still working hard to produce their stuffs. it's a slightly offensive statement, baph.

i get these great imported (fresh, not frozen) italian prosciutto and salami pizzas at my local store, which come with a little sachet of chilli infused olive oil. shit is fucking godlike.

i get my oil bottles filled at haarlemmerdijk, they import direct from italy (and one greece producer), small tanks that they tap the oil out of. lovely shop, hot staff.

this somehow sounds like you live in a zelda game

prosciutto

bruschetta

rucola

nebbiolo wine

this somehow sounds like you live in a zelda game

it's true though, i ride my bike over there with my empty (unlabeled, flip-top) 500ml bottles.

they have steel tanks in their shop (100l, maybe more?) which they tap the freshly imported oil out of. just fill up mah bottles, m'am.

gonna move to Graz, austria, soon, will miss this town :(

I suggest you also get high quality coarsely grated horseradish

Do not buy the mayonnaise semen sauce they sell in plastic bottles.

Get the stuff in the glass jars.

It will increase your mastication experience while consuming a sandwich ten-fold

corruption hits the common folk. the best italian foodshops are run by the common folk, still working hard to produce their stuffs. it's a slightly offensive statement, baph.

hey now, I wasn't serious. I love Italian food and Italian people. Were it socially acceptable, I would wear clothing made of prosciutto and slowly eat my outerwear over the course of the day, until pleasantly nude at bedtime. I shouldn't have said "producers" as I didn't mean to implicate the common folk. Should have said distributors (but still was joking).

edit: it's extremely hard to find direct-from-the-people Italian products in the United States, understand. There are specialty shops here and there, but they are tiny, whispering voices drowned out easily by the shouting of Barilla stocked supermarkets.

i have a bad habit, which is surimi (sticks) + wasabi and that japanese soysauce, cant remember the name nor read the label (thx lullezucht!). can't stop.

hey now, I wasn't serious. I love Italian food and Italian people. I shouldn't have said "producers" as I didn't mean to implicate the common folk. Should have said distributors (but still was joking).

ha! i can think of beter jokes about italians but the banhammer swings loosely these days..

it's hard to find horseradish here. most of it is mustard with horseradish coming in around #10 on the ingredient list :\

same goes for wasabi, i find.

hey now, I wasn't serious. I love Italian food and Italian people. Were it socially acceptable, I would wear clothing made of prosciutto and slowly eat my outerwear over the course of the day, until pleasantly nude at bedtime. I shouldn't have said "producers" as I didn't mean to implicate the common folk. Should have said distributors (but still was joking).

edit: it's extremely hard to find direct-from-the-people Italian products in the United States, understand.

i heard NYC is pretty decent, italian food-import-wise

*whistles*

Archived