IGNORED

Fred McGriff's Top 5 Foodstuffs to Spend Extra Money On

Fred McGriff

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My girlfriend hates eggs, and as we are cohabitants of the same household, her hatred seriously limits the amount of eggs I can consume in a given week. I love eggs.

It's at the point where the merest lukewarm Egg McMuffin can bring me to a persistent priapic state. I wouldn't want to see what good eggs can do. Things might get... weird.

My girlfriend hates eggs, and as we are cohabitants of the same household, her hatred seriously limits the amount of eggs I can consume in a given week. I love eggs.

It's at the point where the merest lukewarm Egg McMuffin can bring me to a persistent priapic state. I wouldn't want to see what good eggs can do. Things might get... weird.

omg when I cut into a good poached or fried egg and the bright yellow-orange yolk starts oozing, I get so excited that I replicate and then have a fight to the death with my replication and the winner gets to eat it.

great list...

one of my favourite cheeses is Parrano or Robusto (a longer aging than Parrano but the same maker), so damn good it will ruin your life.

Eating Assyrian food right now: sauteed onions, celery, organic tomato sauce, crushed dried lime, good salt(hehe), plain yogurt and steamed long grain basmati rice.

yay! :emotawesomepm9:

3. Parmesan cheese. Get a good wedge of parmigiano reggiano, fuck that powdered foot vomit shit in the green can. 10 bucks for a wedge that will last you months, and you can put it on anything for an instant upgrade.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Grana_padano all the way.

edit: even though wiki says "Though similar to Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, the younger Grana Padano cheeses are less crumbly, milder and less complex in flavor than their more famous longer-aged relative. Grana Padano is widely considered inferior in quality than Parmigiano-Reggiano. Nevertheless many Italians prefer Grana Padano over Parmigiano-Reggiano mainly for the lower price."

*jots it down*

pecorino romano is bettar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecorino_Romano

I used to carry around my own crumbled bleu cheese whenever I went to a BBQ! Put that stuff on my burger... put it in a salad. I miss carrying my own bleu cheese!

i can tell the difference between good and bad peppercorns. i have some cheap ones at the moment. they have a harsh heat (quite pleasant) but an otherwise shallow flavour and a sort of dusty/burnt aftertaste. not terrible though, and usually peppercorns are good.

can't say pecornino romano is better than parmigiano reggiano because.. they're made with different milk, so that's just not allowed. prefer it if you want.

I'm going to start adding fresh garlic to some of my meals.

that should go on a basic but important extra effort when cooking list

Yeah, Danish blue is the Skrillex of blue cheeses.

I maintain that Cabrales is moar better than Roquefort or Stilton, but Roquefort and Stilton are godly in their own right.

But also, fuck Stiltons that have the motherfucking P. roqueforti replaced with fucking blueberries or some shit. FUCK THAT SHIT.

But also, fuck Stiltons that have the motherfucking P. roqueforti replaced with fucking blueberries or some shit. FUCK THAT SHIT.

you mean white stilton? i'm quite fond of that, especially the one with cranberries in.

bleu d'auvergne is another good one, but i can only get it when this fucking awesome french market is on here about four times a year.

i find gorgonzola a little too salty and acidic, but i'm not saying i'd refuse some.

i'm a bit of a bread buff, some would say connaisseur

*lifts slice of bread, pink raised*

yeah bread is really fucking important. cheap bread is pointless.

Yeah, Danish blue is the Skrillex of blue cheeses.

I maintain that Cabrales is moar better than Roquefort or Stilton, but Roquefort and Stilton are godly in their own right.

i'm not sure when that 'white stilton'(with stuff in it) thing started but i don't like it. also pointless.

edit: re: kaini:

Cranberries might work better than blueberries. I have only had the blueberries. It was *ok.* But when I think Stilton I think of a stinking, veined gateway to unaccountable pleasures.

edit 2: that didn't sound right yes it did

baph if you like rancid cheeses, i bet you'd love stinking bishop. it smells like death's unwashed dick!

oh god that sounds horrible/wonderful, I'm all over it

from http://www.reddit.com/r/cheese

So, to start with, I know that there are probably hundreds of posts exactly like this one, which is why I'll make mine different by posting, not just my reactions, but also what kind of seal of approval/disapproval and, because almost everything relates to music somehow, I'll post the song that comes to mind when I think back on the experience.

With that said, I've been wanting to try something beyond the norm for a while, and finally decided today to make the trip to my local grocery store that has a fancy cheese section (complete with a kindly cheesemonger. I also got discounted gas from the adjoining gas station!). I walked into the store, having no idea what to look for, when I saw something. Kind of an island, filled with racks of cheese, with a hollow place in the middle for a young lady in a chef hat to sit there, put out samples of crackers made from baked cheese and to talk dairy. I started kind of browsing the section, having no idea what to do, when she asks "Do you need any help finding cheese?" I replied "I don't even know what I'm looking for."

I responded by asking me if I was looking for cheese to cook with, or cheese with crackers. I said crackers, since cheese and crackers seem so proper. She gave me a tour of the part of the cheese island that had the best cheeses for crackers, going over different kinds of cheeses, their attributes, and which were her personal favorites. After a bit she did a wave of her arm and said "so, basically this point onward is where you'll find what you're looking for," and I was left to peruse and buy on my own.

I had very distinct criteria for what I needed to buy. Namely, it had to be cheese. A side caveat was that I didn't want it to have a normal cheese name. Why go to a fancy island of cheese only to buy jalapeno cheddar? No, I was better than that. I was a classy man, so I would get classy cheese, and by that I mean cheese with foreign-sounding names, since everyone knows Americans suck at making cheese. I decided I would try to get cheese from two different countries (I limited myself to two kinds of cheese, so I wouldn't break the bank or my intestines) so I could have cultural diversity. I ended up getting Domaine du Vallage, which is a French cheese, and Bonne Bouche, which is actually from Vermont, but it wishes it was french.

After getting the cheeses into my tiny grocery basket, I went and got Ritz crackers for the occasion, since I come from a long line of people living in trailers and Ritz seemed like the fanciest choice for fancy cheese, and the other ones (ones that were probably more suitable) seemed like they would cost money that I might not have for, say, fritos next Tuesday or something. After that I got some other groceries for things I needed and got a full tank of gas, since I'm a practical man and can't just get cheese and run. From here, I'll post my reactions in the order that I tried the cheese.

~

Bonne Bouche

Bonne Bouche is a kind of goat brie made in Vermont, though the name made me originally think it was France. In hindsight, that's probably the point, since no one wants to say they got top-quality Vermont brie. I chose that because the kindly cheesemonger informed me that it was fermented in ash, which sounds hardcore and fancy. She also told me that it was the most popular cheese of it's kind in America, and I figured "Hey, I'm willing to forgive the masses for Twilight. Maybe they're right about this cheese! They've been right before!"

To start with, I let the cheeses reach room temperature, since I heard it's some sin to eat cold cheese. Then, I pulled out my Ritz crackers, conferred with the folks on IRC for a moment letting them know what to do if I mysteriously disappeared, and started pumping myself up for a cheesy journey. I looked at the bottom of the fancy little wooden box the Bonne Bouche came in and read "Warning: Cheese is alive. Blue mold is not harmful, remove with tip of knife." My blood ran cold; Not only was my cheese alive, but it had science-fiction-monster-esque warnings of "It means no harm, just kind of...go around it!" I felt like I was about to eat some kind of alien. I gingerly opened the plastic surrounding the box and took a good close look at the cheese, when suddenly oh my gosh oh gosh oh no why there's furry mold on this cheese that's not ash that's mold oh gosh it's furry ugh ew! I told #reddit of my conundrum, and they told me they'd let my family know that I loved them. I pried off a section of the rind with the tip of my knife (a knife normally used for things like julienning carrots) and saw that the inside was wonderfully white, instead of the shrieking, thriving mass I was imagining. I dipped my knife into it (after scraping off the leprosy of the rind on the side of the box) and noticed that it was runny, like some kind of paste. I carefully put a tiny amount on my Ritz cracker, put it in my mouth, and mostly just tasted salt from the cracker. Then, I got more brave and put a larger amount on my cracker and really tasted it. It had a kind of...tanginess to it. It had the alfalfa taste of normal goat cheese, but the initial twang kind of overpowered that. It was actually kind of pleasant. It then had an alfalfa and sweet feed aftertaste, but that might be because I used to raise goats, so I spent a lot of time tasting discrepancies in milk. I then steeled my courage and tried the internet to see if the rind was edible, you know, for science. I got no information from Wikipedia, so I decided to just be on the safe side and not eat legions of mold.

I give Bonne Bouche the "Weird yet good" seal of approval, with the "PTSD-inducing rind" seal of horror.

Song that comes to mind when I think back on the experience: "Il est Bel et Bon"

~

After I ate Bonne Bouche, I cleansed my palate by swishing root beer and eating a cracker, since I forgot to buy grape juice.

~

Domaine du Vallage

Domaine du Vallage is an actually French cheese, instead of an American deception like Bonne Bouche is. I chose it because it looked sane enough, and because it's a triple cream cow cheese which, from what I've read in r/cheese, is a good cheese for cheese noobs looking to become cheese snobs. I also chose it because it just reeks (not literally, that's Bonne Bouche) of fanciness in the name.

After my horrifying experience of the previous cheese, I was tentative to open this one, so I did some research beforehand. I checked on wikipedia, found nothing, looked on google, and found almost nothing ("did you mean Domaine Ded Village?" No, I didn't). I did, however, find a forum where someone asked if people could eat the rind on triple cream brie, and got an affirmative to do so. So, with that, I then tarried longer by asking #reddit if I should start on the skinny side or that fat side and, true to their nature, they gave several innuendos as their answer. I decided to go with the fat side, since it had the highest amount of rind. I opened the package, put a tiny amount of cheese with a tiny square of rind on my cracker, tasted it, didn't die, and put a larger amount on. It had a pleasant taste, similar to what happens when cheddar and swiss have a baby. The rind seemed slightly salty or something. I then tried a dab without any rind at all, and was able to clearly taste the cheddar/swiss baby with maybe a touch of provolone and something else completely thrown in the mix. It was nice, since it didn't give me that "the goats got into the alfalfa again" aftertaste like the other cheese did. It didn't even give me too bad of a cheese breathstank. I wondered why this wasn't a more popular cheese, and told my compatriots to go out and buy some, if nothing else because the rind didn't require therapy to get over.

I give Domaine du Vallage the "Tasty, would eat again" seal of approval. It also gets the "kind of bland, good for noobs" seal of approval.

Song that comes to mind when I think of this experience: Handel's Harpsichord Suite No. 6 in F Sharp Minor

~

And that's about it. I'm tempted to start a blog where I relate my cheese experiences without doing any research beforehand of what I'm getting into. What do you guys think?

TL;DR - I ate cheese.

oh god, that first one sounds fucking incredible

best cheese-shop in town here is very very old ("Kef"), where ex-voto used to work. the shop is like a tiny cavernous cellar but it has one the biggest selections i've ever seen. i ould only find this pic:

RobvanHoutenbijKEF_000.jpg

best cheese-shop in town here is very very old ("Kef"), where ex-voto used to work. the shop is like a tiny cavernous cellar but it has one the biggest selections i've ever seen. i ould only find this pic:

i've been in there!

one of the things i miss about living in the dam.

cheese.

of course there's some good markets for cheese and other foods as well.

in my hood there is an amazing density of italian delicatessens, some with very nice imported and/or family made stuffs. also turkish butchers, they are the best at meat.

Archived