IGNORED

WATMM recommend me some fine dubstep

Ivan Ooze

as much as i love DMZ, that spongebob track is partially responsible for the rise of brostep.

fucking love qawwali though.

I remember hearing that for the first time and thinking HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME. Then I heard Rusko and Caspas output after. And then, well, you know :dry:

what is brostep anyway...? =/

This.

This.

This.

It's like dubstep, only without the sub bass, sparse atmosphere, dub echoes and space, syncopated percussion. Instead it's heavy on EDM synths, mid-range noise and screeches, and very simple in-the-drum bass and snare hits. So basically it's the dubstep that's popular because it doesn't sound a goddamn thing like the original style.

This.

This.

This.

It's like dubstep, only without the sub bass, sparse atmosphere, dub echoes and space, syncopated percussion. Instead it's heavy on EDM synths, mid-range noise and screeches, and very simple in-the-drum bass and snare hits. So basically it's the dubstep that's popular because it doesn't sound a goddamn thing like the original style.

ah I see.

Does flying lotus fall in there somehow?

This.

This.

This.

ah I see.

fry.PNG?1307468855

Could you elaborate...?

Actually, let me take a stab anyway. He's part of the beat scene in LA but I'd say he'd be closer to dubstep (he doesn't make dubstep though). Martyn's on his label, he's close to Kode9 and traded tracks with Burial. He might be the kind of DJ to throw a "brostep" song in set but I wouldn't say he likes the sound at all. Maybe...

What's considered brostep subjective, but producers like Rusko, Caspa, and Coki are considered some of the producers who started the trend. Establised producers like 12th Planet, Chase & Status, Bassnecter switched over to it, and then the quintessential "brostep" producers started becoming popular. UFK embraced it. Now Diplo has embraced it, with Dillon Francis and Datsick releasing tracks on his label Mad Decent. It's easily what exploded in popularity stateside. In Austin, which had dubstep producers DJing for awhile, one club now has weekly "don't bro me" nights.

When at work I often listen to a turntable.fm room that's essentially the last non-brostep room and it's regularly trolled every hour or so. Sometimes the regular listeners will dislike something heavy because they prefer old 2-step or future garage, which is closer to house music than anything else. But it's important to note that "heavy" and even "aggressive" dubstep doesn't equal "brostep." Scorn, Milanese, Vex'd, Loops Haunt, JK Flesh, etc are examples of well-produced bass music influenced by industrial and glitch. I'd imagine Flying Lotus would be more in that category in terms of his own output and what he'd spin live, especially since producers like Lorn, Eskmo, or Amon Tobin's recent stuff is very glitchy and IDM sounding but nothing close to "brostep."

This.

This.

This.

ah I see.

fry.PNG?1307468855

Could you elaborate...?

Actually, let me take a stab anyway. He's part of the beat scene in LA but I'd say he'd be closer to dubstep (he doesn't make dubstep though). Martyn's on his label, he's close to Kode9 and traded tracks with Burial. He might be the kind of DJ to throw a "brostep" song in set but I wouldn't say he likes the sound at all. Maybe...

What's considered brostep subjective, but producers like Rusko, Caspa, and Coki are considered some of the producers who started the trend. Establised producers like 12th Planet, Chase & Status, Bassnecter switched over to it, and then the quintessential "brostep" producers started becoming popular. UFK embraced it. Now Diplo has embraced it, with Dillon Francis and Datsick releasing tracks on his label Mad Decent. It's easily what exploded in popularity stateside. In Austin, which had dubstep producers DJing for awhile, one club now has weekly "don't bro me" nights.

When at work I often listen to a turntable.fm room that's essentially the last non-brostep room and it's regularly trolled every hour or so. Sometimes the regular listeners will dislike something heavy because they prefer old 2-step or future garage, which is closer to house music than anything else. But it's important to note that "heavy" and even "aggressive" dubstep doesn't equal "brostep." Scorn, Milanese, Vex'd, Loops Haunt, JK Flesh, etc are examples of well-produced bass music influenced by industrial and glitch. I'd imagine Flying Lotus would be more in that category in terms of his own output and what he'd spin live, especially since producers like Lorn, Eskmo, or Amon Tobin's recent stuff is very glitchy and IDM sounding but nothing close to "brostep."

That's a good way to put it.... Thank you

Archived