IGNORED

Do you share Ae with others?

Guest Randolph Carter

Guest Gooble Gobble

Do any of you not like to turn people onto Ae? I find my self being VERY stingy with ae's music. Their music is something so personal and special to me that it's VERY hard to let others listen to it . I don't think most people I know would or could appreciate it on the level that I do. Autechre is more than just Sean and Rob making music together. I think about it this way... Once upon a time I was at a friends house shrooming and I was watching my friends brother draw. He had barely sketched out some type of gargoyle like creature when he stopped and decided to not finish it. The creature was looking back over its shoulder at you with a strange look of anger on its face, not an evil I'm going to jump off the page and kill you type of look, but a look my friends bro described like this.."Before I drew this creature he was free, now that he's on the page he is known and trapped". Ae's music is like that, not angry it's been made known, but it already exists, before Sean and Rob ever "create" it. It has a life of its own so to speak. The textures and sounds they "capture" are organic and free and happening all the time. To relate that to someone and try to have them understand Ae is like trying to look through someone else's eyes, it's impossible so why try. So that's why I don't like to let other people hear Ae, their music was made for me. While that might sound insanely egotistical, I know it's not true. I know they make their music for everyone, but I feel that others couldn't, shouldn't and won't appreciate it as I do. I feel if you're going to listen to Ae you have to immediately say that they are the greatest ever, if you won't agree to that then you have no right to even hear them for the first time! Does any of that make sense to you? Do you sometimes feel the same way? Do you hesitate to play Ae in the company of those who aren't hip to it already? Do you not play it because they might not like it or worse yet, say "Yeah, it's ok I guess"? OK? it's more than OK! it's the most beautiful music in the world. My world. The world inside my head, behind closed eyes, the music of dreams.

Archived