IGNORED

FSOLDigital Presents Mind Maps 4 (Touched Music, 28th July)

purlieu

The fourth volume in the FSOLDigital mix CD Mind Maps series is out this Friday on Touched Music. There's a preview and exclusive mix on the Touched Music Mixlr at 7:30 UK time, and the CD will be appearing on Bandcamp roughly an hour later. As ever it's mostly Yage / Humanoid remixes of various artists, including... AUTECHRE, Scanner, Karsten Pflum, Drøn, Isan, Enofa (oh that's me) and a bunch of others, as well as new tracks from FSOL and Humanoid. 

It also appears that the long out of print first volume in the series will be reissued on the same day. Worth keeping an eye on Bandcamp for exciting release stuff. 

Promo video suggests that one track is a remix of Autechre's JNSN CODE GL16.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, purlieu said:

Enofa (oh that's me)

Nice!

new tracks from FSOL and Humanoid. 

Very nice!!

Humanoid remixes of various artists, including... AUTECHRE

Oh yeah!!!

How many volumes? No idea. There were only meant to be five Archives, so... time will tell!

This is out now. There's a second CD also to be released called Trip Maps (Psychedelic Worlds), which is psych stuff, like the more electronic/breaks end of Amorphous but with a Yage workover. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As embedded in the Touched Music ecosystem as I may be, I must admit I’ve managed to let the Mind Maps series completely pass me by. Although firmly seeing the label as my current go-to for exciting and interesting new electronic work—maybe as a sign I’m getting older—I’ve definitely leant towards artists’ releases rather than compilations overall in most of my musical explorations, which probably explains why I stupidly didn’t realise the series’ existence.

I guess that really the allure and draw of someone as great and iconic as Yage should really have set my alarm bells ringing and this time around the broccoli has fallen out of my ears allowing me to realise all of my mistakes.

I absolutely had no idea that these were a series of mix CDs, and at the exact moment I came to that understanding I felt around 20 years younger. Not only was my CD shelf once full of more dance-oriented examples of the craft, but as I delved deeper into the landscape of cerebral electronica (and the internet) it became clear there was a plethora of self-released mixes by artists out there outside of what one could effortlessly find in a high street music shop.

With Mind Maps I’m once again reminded of the sheer beauty that can result from a skilled person (or persons) carefully curating a selection of wonderful tracks and seamlessly merging them together into a blissful experience. Yage have taken a great bunch of pieces and turned them into something even more incredible, while scattering their own works (under the guise of FSOL) here and there.

Some I know, providing fond memories of recent releases on the label I’ve had the pleasure of listening to—and some I don’t, triggering me to investigate further. Overall it’s the perfect combination of familiarity and innovation, providing a fresh take to things I clearly already enjoy.

Highlights for me are the inclusion of Autechre’s “JNSN CODE GL16” (let’s face it, they’re not that easy to integrate so hats off all around), the appearance of Serge Geyzel taken from his epic Xenophonic release and the scattered samples of answering machine messages here and there, including the unmistakable voice of the late Andrew Weatherall—I very much feel he would have approved and it’s a small but fitting tribute to his lifelong contributions that he is present and accounted for.

Notwithstanding the musical content, it’s a very attractive physical release too. Presented in a four-panel digipak, once again the artwork and design skills of Grid Pattern shine through and make it more than pleasant to hold in the hand and display when it’s playing.

In a time of stressful work and long hours, I’ve been reaching for this time and time again to let the hours pass and make it through the working week. Time flies when you’re having fun, and this is most certainly the quickest way you’ll get to 88 miles per hour this month. Fully recommended.

Igloo says things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cool...... ok I'm still a FSOL fan, have been for ages, but now I gotta say something...

Guys.... enough with the numbered stuff..... Environments 3, Environment version 99, Mind Maps 74, Calendar Album 2500, seriously ENOUGH!.....

The coolest thing about FSOL, was how mysterious they were. Throughout the 90's, they didn't just create albums, they created worlds, sure that sounds weird on the surface, until you discover the "ISDN" transmissions..... all the "unknown" tracks, all the samples, the theme of each era... if you seriously listened, you noticed each era of FSOL.... and how vast each era was... the Lifeforms era, the ISDN era, the Dead Cities era, and the Isness Era, the crazy thing was each era gave the impression through the transmissions, of how vast each treasure trove was, 100's..... 1000's???? of unreleased tracks, that's the beauty of it once you discover it, who knew at the time?!...

I mean good on them with the first few volumes of the "From The Archives" and the initial FSOLDigital releases, it just confirmed that yes they were super prolific.

It just makes me wish FSOL embraced streaming (meaning Twitch etc), and got back to making "worlds" and being mysterious again, a 24/7 "transmission", play all the "Pod Room" shows back to back, then get all cryptic on whatever social media, and play us "unknown" shit again, then be super cryptic and leave us guessing, until your next album. 

Or just leave FSOL behind and just do Humanoid and AA from now on, whatever.

Edited by LooseLink
  • Like 2