IGNORED

The World's Quietest Room

Nebraska

I mean i'm cool with quasi mysticism whatever in music, that's fine. I just feel that Ganzfeld is a very important concept to me and it's a shame that a lot of people have heard about it in regards to the paranormal once again instead of the actual very powerful nature of it being a form of hallucination inducing sensory deprivation. That's all im complaining about.

after reading up on these last night and watching numerous youtube videos, i had the strangest dreams. I actually went mad inside one of these chambers and was hearing voices in my head telling me to kill... Messed up

That happened to me when I was a kid and going to church.

My church didn't have a sensory deprivation chamber, but it did have a critical thinking deprivation chamber.

It didn't have a sensory deprivation chamber, it just put weird thoughts into my head. I kept wanting to trash everything and slaughter people. Probably because I was bored though

Guest fiznuthian

I was able to stand in one at Virginia Tech when I toured their accoustics/auditory lab.. I don't think it was as quiet as this one, but it was pretty extreme. It's what you would expect: you feel like you're in a vacuum.

• 1 month later...

i've made some recordings in the anechoic chamber at Delft uni (played over a loudspeaker) but it seems i can't unearth them nor the photo's i've made in there.

next door to that anechoic chamber is the echo chamber, an extremely reverberant room (designed and built purely for 'reflection quantity', lots of reflections but with a ugly/muddy/opaque result, definitely not concert room style verb).

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

The chamber is so quiet that the subjects can even hear their own organs functioning.

Although extremely interesting, the experience is rather unpleasant. Not one subject has spent more than 45 minutes in the chamber alone. Leaving a person to only their thoughts, the chamber could drive them insane.

Not sure quite why this would drive someone insane. I'd rather hear my organs functioning than not functioning

Archived