IGNORED

Preferred Format for Old Tunes

apriorion

Zantman's thread in the record crate ("Music has..." promo tape) got me thinking. What would be your preferred format for an Old Tunes BOCset, were Warp to ever release the fucking thing? My preference is for cassette tapes. And no "insta-download" MP3s, either--if you want digital copies, make 'em yourself! That's what I'd like to see. That would be sweet.

How about you? Records? CDs? Tapes? 8-Track? Those original Edison toliet-paper tube looking things? Fisher-Price neon-colored plastic discs with the little nubs on 'em? What?

Zantman's thread in the record crate ("Music has..." promo tape) got me thinking. What would be your preferred format for an Old Tunes BOCset, were Warp to ever release the fucking thing? My preference is for cassette tapes. And no "insta-download" MP3s, either--if you want digital copies, make 'em yourself! That's what I'd like to see. That would be sweet.

How about you? Records? CDs? Tapes? 8-Track? Those original Edison toliet-paper tube looking things? Fisher-Price neon-colored plastic discs with the little nubs on 'em? What?

While I could appreciate the nostalgic qualities of issuing them on cassette, in this day and age, people expect digital downloads since the majority of people listen to digital files, not physical media anymore. Add to the fact that unless they physical release was part of the package (special packaging, etc.), there really wouldn't be a need for a physical release, and would be less risky for the label to release these if they were digital-only.

Yeah, but fuck risk. I would think something like this should be about statement, not cashing in. I mean, a lot of those tunes have been around in some digital form for a long time, anyway. The official release of the highly coveted BOCset should be something special. And besides, I'm sure they are realizing that BOC fans are more likely to buy physical releases than almost any other fan base. What's more, I would imagine that a lot of BOC fans would appreciate a weird physical release like that. And I don't think it's a matter of nostalgia to have it released in some physical format, but a kind of specialness. When I get excited about seeing physical versions of BOC or AE releases, it's not a matter of nostalgia for me; rather, it's an interest in a physical item that would be cool to behold in person. I thought I wasn't alone in that feeling, but perhaps I'm part of a minority. In any case, I'd imagine that the high demand for the vinyl reissues would strengthen the case that BOC fans in particular share my interest in physical releases. I'd expect that that interest in physical releases among fellow BOC fans comes from a similar place: not simple nostalgia, but a desire for a special format to reflect our love of music, and BOC's music in particular.

It's easy to say 'fuck risk' when you're not the label or artist expending money and resources to put something out without a reasonable assurance you'll break even, let alone make a profit.

Don't get me wrong; I would love seeing cassette releases of these, however impractical (who has a cassette deck these days, really?) they would be. I think a physical release plus a download code would be nice, as is the de rigeur these days with vinyl. I would imagine a few people who buy vinyl (perhaps more than a few) never actually play it, perhaps no more than to get a digital rip of the music.

It's all a moot point, really - I don't see BOC releasing the Old Tunes (at least not in the form we know them in) anytime soon, if ever. I think reissues of existing releases is all we're going to get going forward. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

I also think it's not looking likely any more, but still, it's nice to dream. I would imagine that this vinyl reissue situation goes some way toward assuring everyone involved that the official Old Tune release would do better than break even, regardless of the format. I actually have a hard time doubting it. If there's any release that an artist could make in some obscure or weird format, I thought it would be this one.

considering the state of the stock room at Blerp for Tomorrow's Harvest, I don't think there would be any monetary risk involvedd with releasing cassette physical package.

Even if it cost £200.

Guest jasondonervan

I know the nuances of the mp3 transcoded fluttery tapes so well now that in my mind what we have is the definitive version. It'd be weird to hear 'clean' versions of these tracks.

Couldn't agree more.

I hazily remember grabbing the files from Soulseek originally, without any idea of their origin. This was back in the heady times of early broadband, being able to easily download someone's collection of files without having to worry about the dial-up cost per minute (shudder). I bought every BoC release since MHTRTC in phsyical format (CD and vinyl), however I used Soulseek to grab stuff like remixes, SKAM tracks, the usual odds and ends. I didn't read up on the whole mythology of AFOT until after I had listened to them a fair bit. Back then, it was still very much up in the air whether it was even BoC who had done the tracks, or was just some faked up stuff perhaps by a keen fan who took the original Warp press releases seriously enough to do a weird tribute. I took the tracks on their own merits, and even on early listening I grew to love the degraded quality. As Pete says, they just wouldn't be the same without it.

I don't think you'll see 'official' releases of them... ever. The weird experimental Warp of old is long gone, partly through their own re-direction of output, but also due to external factors such as the music industry shifting away from the frequent scattershot release of EPs (at one point it seemed like Warp were pumping out a new release every other week). This doesn't fit in with what they do anymore. They know that Boards fans old and new are enough to sustain a big ticket new album.. but not a weird old set of tunes which have fairly prominent samples by other recording artists. They'll have no interest in risking slipping it out under the (horizon) radar, as they could get hammered if even one of the original rights owners catches (trade) wind(s) of it.

Archived