IGNORED

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

jules

recording sounds incredibly muddy on this one, as far as i'm concerned.

hate the way the songs are always in a rush to get to a key few words that get repeated endlessly.

last album was better.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good critical writeup that naturally got a lot of butthurt complaints because it was too damning and dismissive.

I can't argue with it.

There was some interview recently where Butler thought James Murphy was gonna be some hipster asshole that he'd punch in the face. Am I missing something, because I always thought of AF as pretty hipster & would want to punch them in the face. ???

Good critical writeup that naturally got a lot of butthurt complaints because it was too damning and dismissive.

I can't argue with it.

There was some interview recently where Butler thought James Murphy was gonna be some hipster asshole that he'd punch in the face. Am I missing something, because I always thought of AF as pretty hipster & would want to punch them in the face. ???

Yeah I thought the same thing!

It's ok, they will live through this album and a major 2014 tour that will make them an even bigger group. I guess this is their "Achtung" ?

except achtung baby was actually good.

I can't argue with it.

I know PBR & wearing black rimmed glasses even though you dont need them are in there. Skinny jeans. Pretentious view on music & art. That's my 5 i gather.

Yeah I thought the same thing!

So, begs the question, who or what is hipster? Like what is the Top 5 checklist for hipsterdom?

It's ok, they will live through this album and a major 2014 tour that will make them an even bigger group. I guess this is their "Achtung" ?

was just about to post the exact sentiment

was just about to post the exact sentiment

That's a pretty apt comparison. Like U2 at that point in their career, they couldn't make yet another anthem-heavy, trademark album.

I just finished disc one (I put off listening to it because I had a ton of studying to catch up on) and I enjoyed it a lot. I think a lot of negative criticism is aimed at the annoying hype and a sense that it's overdue (which is warranted and why I liked that review I posted). But musically this is refreshing. That said, it's a bit like the Daft Punk album - it's not their best but they're seemingly being credited for sounds that many other artists have done for years and decades simply because it's "new" to most of their audience.

Honestly, I bet I'll find myself listening to this more than Suburbs, which has some of favorite songs (not just of Arcade Fire but in general) but overall was a bit lengthy and overwrought.

Archived