IGNORED

Research Shows That Cocaine and Heroin Are Less Addictive Than Oreos

Adieu

I lack confidence, so I eat an Oreo before going into social situations. I know it's silly but I feel panicky if I don't have Oreos ready to eat when I'm out now.

After a while the effect of the Oreos started to wear off, so I ate them more often. Now I just eat Oreos to feel normal.

Comfort eating is a thing.

Yes, but does it make you steal from your parents? Does it make you sell your arse for cash? It's about much more than self inflicted physical damage.

Nothing makes you do anything. You choose to do those things.

You don't think people with unhealthy diets and lifestyles create a burden for society?

Yes they are a burden, but drugs do more serious damage. To equate it with over eating is very naive.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lack confidence, so I eat an Oreo before going into social situations. I know it's silly but I feel panicky if I don't have Oreos ready to eat when I'm out now.

After a while the effect of the Oreos started to wear off, so I ate them more often. Now I just eat Oreos to feel normal.

Yes, but does it make you steal from your parents? Does it make you sell your arse for cash? It's about much more than self inflicted physical damage.

Nothing makes you do anything. You choose to do those things.

You don't think people with unhealthy diets and lifestyles create a burden for society?

Yes they are a burden, but drugs do more serious damage. To equate it with over eating is very naive.

I believe you are the one who is naive.

To be fair you are probably being a little bit easy on the amount deaths drugs contribute to. I agree with the gist though.

Yeah nevermind the numbers I cited above because 1) it is really hard to find a flat-out talley and 2) non-herion opiates and other stuff isn't included.

But I stand by the jist. Adding non-soda sugar and non-heroin and -cocaine drugs is still giving a similar picture.

Yeah, because you see people overdosing on Oreos all the time. I doubt sugar produces the addictive side effects that heroin and cocaine do.

It's not been proposed that they have the same side effects, and kill you in the same way. The research is about the addictive properties being similar.

Read the second part of my sentence you quoted again.

The addictive side effects of sugar addiction are you get crabby and bitchy - heroin and coke's side effects are you're willing to suck dick and kill to get a fix. Bit of a divide between those, I'm betting.

Yeah, because you see people overdosing on Oreos all the time. I doubt sugar produces the addictive side effects that heroin and cocaine do.

It's not been proposed that they have the same side effects, and kill you in the same way. The research is about the addictive properties being similar.

The addictive side effects of sugar addiction are you get crabby and bitchy - heroin and coke's side effects are you're willing to suck dick and kill to get a fix. Bit of a divide between those, I'm betting.

You can go to the store with 50 cents and get a sugar fix.

And you can go behind the store with kneepads and a good gag reflex and get a heroin or coke fix :wink:

Well my point is:

how would things be

if sugar was illegal and expensive

or

if drugs were legal and extremely cheap

We currently have a really bad setup for comparing the two from a control/randomize/double-blind standpoint.

And you can go behind the store with kneepads and a good gag reflex and get a heroin or coke fix :wink:

Precisely. Bit of a divide indeed.

I think the fact sugar is so overabundant in so many of our food products these days is the reason diabetes and other related diseases is on the rise.

If heroin or coke were cheap and legal, I think we'd see our emergency centres flooded with people suffering withdrawal or people overdosing due to the ease of access.

If sugar was illegal, substitutes would be found (hello, high fructose corn syrup).

I think the fact sugar is so overabundant in so many of our food products these days is the reason diabetes and other related diseases is on the rise.

If heroin or coke were cheap and legal, I think we'd see our emergency centres flooded with people suffering withdrawal or people overdosing due to the ease of access.

If sugar was illegal, substitutes would be found (hello, high fructose corn syrup).

High fructose corn syrup IS sugar.

i used to steal cookies and candies from the kitchen when i was a kid. i'm sure most do.

but i don't think that's applicable to this study. i'm wondering if any of you actually read the article.

this study says: when mice are satisfied in their lives (having social interaction, food available, etc) they would rather eat oreos than take heroin or cocaine. when they are isolated and unhappy, like in the addiction studies done in the 1960s, they will abuse drugs to an insane degree.

perhaps the people who are stealing from their parents, taking it up the ass for a baggie of meth, etc., have more going on than a drug abuse problem? going with that line of reasoning, maybe prohibiting drugs in our society is only putting a soggy bandaid over the massive wound that is their fucked up lives?

drug abuse is correlated with poverty. maybe we're attacking the wrong thing, here.

Guest fiznuthian

Interesting that sugar keeps being mentioned..
What about the refined flour and cheap oil? They're also the primary ingredients in an oreo, and 99% of processed junk food for that matter.

Refined flour should be obvious. It very quickly metabolizes to glucose and ends up in the blood. And while it's fun to blame saturated fats for atherosclerosis, the polyunsaturated fats in large quantity (yay cheap oil) are by far the fatty acid most prone to lipid peroxidation. In other words, what leads to damaged cell membranes.

As for the the addictive nature of food here is something to consider. Refined junk foods represent an arms race of flavor among food manufacturers who strive to compete for customer sales. It's possible that by engineering increasingly more palatable and rewarding food, food manufacturers have been toying with the neural reward circuits that dictate human food behavior. There are similarities among mammalian brains and rats are no exception. People often can't help themselves and will more often than not opt for well known and memorable brands with powerful flavors they recognize. The classic Oreo is a great example.

Also, how rewarding or "addictive" a food is largely depends on the whole of it's composition. Sugar definitely helps, but it's worth considering the texture, the crunch, saltiness, the smell, how it looks, etc.. Processed food manufacturers often spend a lot of money perfecting sensory stimuli. It's common to see a plethora of ingredients that do not add flavor but nonetheless make for more enjoyable product.

Guest fiznuthian

QAxf4JK.jpg

Aaaaaaand there it is folks

Interesting that sugar keeps being mentioned..

What about the refined flour and cheap oil? They're also the primary ingredients in an oreo, and 99% of processed junk food for that matter.

Refined flour should be obvious. It very quickly metabolizes to glucose and ends up in the blood. And while it's fun to blame saturated fats for atherosclerosis, the polyunsaturated fats in large quantity (yay cheap oil) are by far the fatty acid most prone to lipid peroxidation. In other words, what leads to damaged cell membranes.

As for the the addictive nature of food here is something to consider. Refined junk foods represent an arms race of flavor among food manufacturers who strive to compete for customer sales. It's possible that by engineering increasingly more palatable and rewarding food, food manufacturers have been toying with the neural reward circuits that dictate human food behavior. There are similarities among mammalian brains and rats are no exception. People often can't help themselves and will more often than not opt for well known and memorable brands with powerful flavors they recognize. The classic Oreo is a great example.

Also, how rewarding or "addictive" a food is largely depends on the whole of it's composition. Sugar definitely helps, but it's worth considering the texture, the crunch, saltiness, the smell, how it looks, etc.. Processed food manufacturers often spend a lot of money perfecting sensory stimuli. It's common to see a plethora of ingredients that do not add flavor but nonetheless make for more enjoyable product.

This is a good point. Also good to note what an issue we have in our society with foods containing so many unhealthy things.

QAxf4JK.jpg

Aaaaaaand there it is folks

Oh my god the joy on her face as she opens that salad dressing

Archived