IGNORED

Dâm-Funk & Snoopzilla - 7 Days Of Funk

funkaholic

So this is an actual album? Kept seeing stuff about "Snoop + Dam Funk" on the ST mailing list & just assumed it was a parody, gimmick or something. I mean Snoop Lion or whatever he goes by these days has been a caricature of himself for 10+ years now ffs. Might have to check it out if my watmm massive is vouching for it though...

""The funk has a chance to be its own again and I'm just providing the red carpet" (Dâm-Funk 2013)

This week Stones Throw announced the dropdate for the long awaited and inevitable collaboration between L.A.'s finest Damon Riddick/Dâm-Funk (Pasadena) and Calvin Broadus/Snoopzilla/Snoop Dogg/Snoop Lion (Long Beach).

"Funk is the dirty cousin of rock, soul, jazz, classical, house and electronic music. [---]The next phase is beautiful chords and harmonies on top of a hard beat. Imagine the song structure of Prefab Sprout or Thom Bell song (The Delfonics/The Spinners) were put on a funk beat with claps, kicks and basslines. That's the next phase - at least that's where I'm trying to go." (Dâm-Funk 2013 - sr.se p3.soul)

This album is entitled "7 days of funk" and has conceptually been talked about for years but will finally see the light of day on December 10th. It's the logical next step in the development of the funk:

Funk 1.0: James Brown
P-Funk 2.0: Parliament/Funkadelic
M-Funk 3.0: Minneapolis/Prince/The Time
E-Funk 4.0: Electronic Funk, Mtume/Kashif/Juan Atkins/Mantronix
G-Funk 5.0: Snoop & Dr Dre
Nu-Funk 6.0: Dâm-Funk
H-Funk 7.0: Pasadena meets Long Beach to create H-funk - Harmonic Funk

"Funk is being in love but all of sudden the girl you love does something unexpected and you have to pick up the pieces. Funk to me is walk out of the house in the sunset, newly washed car and all of a sudden you get a flat tire and you find yourself in a bad neighborhood and the payphone is broken - and you wonder what have I gotten myself into? That's funk!" (Dâm-Funk 2013 - sr.se p3.soul)

First track off the album is "Faden away". A late night roller about a fading relationship. It's build on a deep lowkey production by Dâm and the newly acquired harmony skills that Snoop first showed off on his "Reincarnated" album.

“We’re the babies of the Mothership. I’ve had funk influences in my music my whole career. Dam-Funk is cold. He’s keeping the funk alive and I knew I had to get down with him.” (Snoop - stonesthrow.com)"

• 1 year later...

Archived