IGNORED

Fox News Goes After Pope

LimpyLoo

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest disparaissant

maybe i could pull a hugo schwyzer - fuck over minorities in an effort to get more twitter likes, have sex with my students, get into a hit and run DWI while under the influence of massive amounts of klonopin, then use my tenure status to blackmail my school into giving me a disability retirement for mental health issues.

Every time I tell my wife that it's basically part time she glares at me. She is teaching 3 classes. I'm just saying that it could be part time. If I teach english comp/creative writing once I finish my mfa, I will show all of you. I will grade a paper a minute.

Teaching k-12 is much worse. It consumes much more of your life, but may be rewarding enough both in financial and moral take to make up for it.

I don't really care about the pope that much.

Guest disparaissant

wait shit that would make me an awful person oops

Every time I tell my wife that it's basically part time she glares at me. She is teaching 3 classes. I'm just saying that it could be part time. If I teach english comp/creative writing once I finish my mfa, I will show all of you. I will grade a paper a minute.

Teaching k-12 is much worse. It consumes much more of your life, but may be rewarding enough both in financial and moral take to make up for it.

I don't really care about the pope that much.

not so sure about "financial," haha.

A friend of mine got a degree in sound recording technology, tried for about a month to get a job in that field, copied my idea and subbed for a few months, then was hired as a 4th grade teacher starting at 45k/year. Sounds like a better deal than spending another 40k on gradschool and making 11k adjuncting.

But adjunct professors are an esoteric bunch. The social points are well worth it. You can get into all kinds of clubs and stuff!

That's incredible. Where I'm from, unless you're a senior lecturer you earn about 400 euro a month (a two bedroom flat is like 600-800 euro a month), although of course you only teach three or so classes a week, but still... Senior lecturers who do research etc. do get a reasonable pay, though, but nothing outstanding.

That's incredible. Where I'm from, unless you're a senior lecturer you earn about 400 euro a month (a two bedroom flat is like 600-800 euro a month), although of course you only teach three or so classes a week, but still... Senior lecturers who do research etc. do get a reasonable pay, though, but nothing outstanding.

Huh that's funny - this website must be lying to us about what lecturers make: http://www.eui.eu/ProgrammesAndFellowships/AcademicCareersObservatory/AcademicCareersbyCountry/Spain.aspx#GrossSalaries

Now admittedly those salaries are not great, but certainly better than 400 euro/month...

Huh that's funny - this website must be lying to us about what lecturers make: http://www.eui.eu/ProgrammesAndFellowships/AcademicCareersObservatory/AcademicCareersbyCountry/Spain.aspx#GrossSalaries

Now admittedly those salaries are not great, but certainly better than 400 euro/month...

No, no, these figures are for our equivalents of senior lecturers, who are public servants. Readers/regular lecturers usually earn about 400 euro a month, and aren't public servants, so they can sack them anytime (and they must sack a large amount of them every semester now that the situation is not good.)

http://rrhh.umh.es/files/2010/03/TABLA-RETRIBUCIONES-PDI-20131.pdf

Most people teaching at our universities are on the lowest category and work the least hours (sometimes the class starts at, say, 8, and some teachers won't arrive until 11 because that way they don't have to pay them as much, or they'll only come during the second half of the semester, or one day every two weeks, etc.) On the table I'm posting (which is the salary range of UMH, a public university in, I believe, Valencia) the figures for such positions range from about 255 euro to about 640, which is pretty standard.

I'm confused - because I wouldn't go to a university and accept lectures from anyone who didn't have a Ph.D. Are these teaching assistants? Or do they actually teach full courses?

I'm confused - because I wouldn't go to a university and accept lectures from anyone who didn't have a Ph.D. Are these teaching assistants? Or do they actually teach full courses?

No, universities around here are radically different from what they're like in English-speaking countries. The government demands a new curriculum for those people who want a degree in X, and stipulate I II III should be taught according to ABC. The doctors who head each department in each university get together and draft a curriculum for X where I II III are the subjects and are taught according to ABC, and then each particular course is assigned to a lecturer, which might or might not be a doctor, and who in principle develops it as he pleases.

So you don't have to have a phd or be close to getting one to teach classes at a university? That's...well yeah that's different.

It has to be said, though, that bachelor's degrees used to be comparable to master's degrees before the Bologna educational reforms which sort of anglified things. For example it took longer to get a bachelor's degree back then than it does now, so someone with a master's was already someone.

Archived