IGNORED

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest blicero

the one failing of this game, is that the dificulty of the missions is proportional to your level.

so if you're having trouble beating one part of the gane, and you go try to level up your skills for a while and come back to try again, that part of the game will just get harder to match your level,

You can download a mod to fix that too

for 360?

is it just single player or mmrpg?

single player

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is a dinosaur, but does anybody still play Oblivion, or does it just get boring after one playthrough?

MY wife and I bought this last week (we've closed two Oblivion gates) so I was curious if the game has a high replay value.

My ps3 kept overheating and so took it back to the shops to get it replaced, stupidly I forgot to backup my saves and so I'm considering whether or not I can bring myself to start it again. I was about 40-50ish hours in and it was just starting to get interested (the initial missions were a bit of a grind). Fuck, I'm gonna have to find all those Nirnroot bastards again too.....

My ps3 kept overheating and so took it back to the shops to get it replaced, stupidly I forgot to backup my saves and so I'm considering whether or not I can bring myself to start it again. I was about 40-50ish hours in and it was just starting to get interested (the initial missions were a bit of a grind). Fuck, I'm gonna have to find all those Nirnroot bastards again too.....

Whoa, at 50 hours it's not even close to over?

I think I ended up playing just around 120 hours. It was insane. I never bothered starting over though, because there's really no difference on the outcome whether you play good or bad. At least not like in Fallout 3 where it seems every single move you make makes a difference.

Oblivion was an amazing game though and in a lot of ways it was better than Fallout 3. The storyline was a lot better and the fact that the game didn't end when you had completed the main quest was perfect. This I hated in Fallout3. But I've heard some rumours that Bethesda is working on a patch that will let you continue exploring The Wasteland after the main quest is complete.

Whoa, at 50 hours it's not even close to over?

No, far from it. Just make sure you keep exploring. With the two expansion packs you'll probably end up playing for around 200 hours.

this game left me with a really horrible empty sensation of , why? why the fuck am i doing this?

i havent played a computer game since this game, i think ive gone off them.

I think I ended up playing just around 120 hours. It was insane. I never bothered starting over though, because there's really no difference on the outcome whether you play good or bad. At least not like in Fallout 3 where it seems every single move you make makes a difference.

Oblivion was an amazing game though and in a lot of ways it was better than Fallout 3. The storyline was a lot better and the fact that the game didn't end when you had completed the main quest was perfect. This I hated in Fallout3. But I've heard some rumours that Bethesda is working on a patch that will let you continue exploring The Wasteland after the main quest is complete.

The outcome of your action doesn't do shit in Fallout either. It even has less impact than in Mass Effect. Apart from blowing up Megaton and either killing or helping the ghouls at Tenpenny. It's a shame really. I played a scourge of the wastes the second time around and nothing changed. Everybody still talked to me like I was their best friend, well perhaps except Harkness who maybe frowned at me a bit. Oh, and one line of dialogue from my dad where he "tut-tutted" before croaking.

I think Oblivion was the deeper game, but Fallout has better environments (and I prefer postapocalyptic to fantasy)

We spent the first seven or eight hours at level one until a load screen told us to sleep in a bed to advance our level.  (never played an Elder Scrolls game, by the way)

Now that I've figured out how to pick locks, I'm stuck looking for lockpicks to break into a grave robber's house.

The outcome of your action doesn't do shit in Fallout either. It even has less impact than in Mass Effect. Apart from blowing up Megaton and either killing or helping the ghouls at Tenpenny. It's a shame really. I played a scourge of the wastes the second time around and nothing changed. Everybody still talked to me like I was their best friend, well perhaps except Harkness who maybe frowned at me a bit. Oh, and one line of dialogue from my dad where he "tut-tutted" before croaking.

I think Oblivion was the deeper game, but Fallout has better environments (and I prefer postapocalyptic to fantasy)

Really? Damn, I actually thought it changed the story... but since I never finished Fallout 3 being a bastard I wouldn't know. I guess the only way the gameplay was changed by being evil was that I didn't complete any missions since I shot everyone who got in my way.

But yeah, post apocalyptic worlds ftw.

I do hope that Mass Effect 2 will be a whoooole lot better than the first one. They really pulled a Peter Molyneux when they promised that you could visit every single planet in the galaxy...

I made a stealth character, then created a suit of armor which basically gave him 100% invisibilty, it basically made everything in the game completely trivial, so I got bored, and never even closed the final gate.

"The further you get into it, the more distractions [Oblivion] throws at you, like it's saying to you, 'Fine, go for it -- try to do the main quest. But there's this guy...'" --John Davison

Pretty much nails how we've been playing.  We've changed our active quest something like nine times in the last three playing hours.

this game left me with a really horrible empty sensation of , why? why the fuck am i doing this?

Yeah, playing Oblivion doesn't really feel like you are having a main goal, which can be annoying at times.

Anyway, there's an expansion for Oblivion called Shivering Isles that is really fun and crazy. I recommend checking it out, I liked it much better than the normal Oblivion campaign.

somehow i played this game for 40 hours without getting into the main quest. when i finally tried to play it, everything was impossible to kill (due to the game's broken difficulty scaling algorithm), so i gave up.

Guest Dirty Protest
I know this thread is a dinosaur, but does anybody still play Oblivion, or does it just get boring after one playthrough?

MY wife and I bought this last week (we've closed two Oblivion gates) so I was curious if the game has a high replay value.

Half way through the first time you'll wish it would just end. Beat it as quickly as possible, the end is a cut scene with no interaction. The game is a kin to working in a factory, just hitting the mouse button watching numbers go up. If this game does last you 50 hours, think of the things you could be doing, like playing Mr Driller for 30 mins, then learning to speak Portuguese. I wish I could get my Oblivion hours back.

Guest analogue wings

Half way through the first time you'll wish it would just end. Beat it as quickly as possible, the end is a cut scene with no interaction. The game is a kin to working in a factory, just hitting the mouse button watching numbers go up. If this game does last you 50 hours, think of the things you could be doing, like playing Mr Driller for 30 mins, then learning to speak Portuguese. I wish I could get my Oblivion hours back.

yeah it takes longer to get tedious than morrowind, but it gets tedious.

~ tgm

~ player.setlevel

i need further explanation dude. explain it to me like i was your 7 yr old daughter.

the ~ key opens up the console, which is where you type in cheat code$

you type in player.setlevel x into the console, except replace x with a number. The number you replace x with is the level you change your combat level.

Changing your combat level will in turn change the difficulty of the enemies you fight and the amount/type of loot you get.

Now close your eyes, it's daddy time.

We like video games.  We've played two Tales games at least twice, and we have three of them, and those are 70+ hour games.

the ~ key opens up the console, which is where you type in cheat code$

you type in player.setlevel x into the console, except replace x with a number. The number you replace x with is the level you change your combat level.

Changing your combat level will in turn change the difficulty of the enemies you fight and the amount/type of loot you get.

Now close your eyes, it's daddy time.

. . . do most people buy the PC version?  We have the Xbox 360 format.

Guest Dirty Protest

I like video games too. My only God given gift in life is being competent at games. I used too play UO and probably amassed well over 1000 hours on it, it had the added incentive of real people. I can smell a hollow dud and this game is a hollow dud.

Been a pretty shit 12 or so months for games, with my only exceptions being GTA IV (mostly online racing) and World of Goo

Archived