IGNORED

sound cards

beerwolf

Evening all,

My laptop headphone output has been splatted, the usual wiggling and waggling of my headphone jack and resting at 45 degrees on an encyclopedia has resulted in even more destruction, so much so the whole thing is kaput.

Is it true a sound card will solve this problem? If so any recommendations? Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune.

Cheers..

PS mods might want to shift this to general banter, sorry.

Whatever you do, don´t buy a USB-stick soundcard like this one:

486266_100122001403_USB_Sound_Card.jpg

Bought two of these unfortunately... Now I use my old Line6 Toneport as a soundcard which is even better then the laptop soundcard.

Wow, I've never even heard of those!

Evening all,

My laptop headphone output has been splatted, the usual wiggling and waggling of my headphone jack and resting at 45 degrees on an encyclopedia has resulted in even more destruction, so much so the whole thing is kaput.

Is it true a sound card will solve this problem? If so any recommendations? Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune.

Cheers..

an external USB soundcard will indeed solve your problem. if you're not using it for music making purposes and don't need anything too high end i'd maybe just get something from creative or logitek or something...get down pc world and see what they have there for £25 or something.

Whatever you do, don´t buy a USB-stick soundcard like this one:

486266_100122001403_USB_Sound_Card.jpg

Bought two of these unfortunately... Now I use my old Line6 Toneport as a soundcard which is even better then the laptop soundcard.

lol, I already have! :biggrin: needless to say it didn't work

Evening all,

Cheers..

an external USB soundcard will indeed solve your problem. if you're not using it for music making purposes and don't need anything too high end i'd maybe just get something from creative or logitek or something...get down pc world and see what they have there for £25 or something.

that's what I'll do, thanks 2WV, I've seen them in there for 25 squid

I had a similar problem so I ventured out and bought one of these:

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_U3/

The sound is so great that I use it on my desktop as well, at least I don't get noise due to all the interferences and cables inside the case.

I had a similar problem so I ventured out and bought one of these:

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_U3/

The sound is so great that I use it on my desktop as well, at least I don't get noise due to all the interferences and cables inside the case.

thanks vasio, that looks pretty tasty.

Archived