IGNORED

Advice on Korg Electribe series

Kozydude

I currently own an ER-1 and can't seem to separate myself from it. For my work, i try to not use my computer for anything live (besides lite sampling and ambient noise effects) so i'm currently looking for some sort of synth sequencer along the lines of the Electribe series, i just figured id ask for some advice: Would the MK I series suit each other better than mixing it with a MK II models of the EA or ES (I was even looking into the X series but i'm not sure if it would be worth saving up for if the sound quality doesn't match the older series) or is their something else i should check out along that price range (I am willing to spend $250 at this point). Please let me know your opinions, i would really appreciate the help :biggrin:

I have an EM 1 mk I (which is basically and ER I and EA I combined) and an ES I mk II. The mk I and mk II of the electribes are almost exactly the same, the only differences being (I believe) the mk II's have a metal front plate and one of the effects is changed (I think the auto wah of the mk I was changed to a delay).

For $250, you could find an ESX or EMX, or even 2 of the first generation boxes. People really seem to dig the ribbon controller on the X series. I've never played one, but I'm sure they'd all suit each other just fine. I think for that amount of money and your goal of being computer free, a Yamaha RM1X is a much more powerful machine (I think its still one of the best hardware sequencers you can get), and you can easily sequence your ER with it. But I recommend you do some research and figure out what you're really looking for rather than taking advice from random people on the internet.

Here's a video of a chick going to town on a bunch of electribes:

• 3 weeks later...

The EMX-1 was my first piece of 'electronic music equipment' a friend got one and I followed suit as I wanted to learn how to make electronic music

Still my favorite piece of hardware to 'jam' on.

The drum sounds are corny, but with tweaking, they can shine.

• 2 months later...

Yeah its pretty shit the er-1 can't properly record notes. It would be useable as a drummachine and a synth at the same time, but the pitch only receives normal midi so it's imposible to fine-tune it.

I'm thinking about getting the volca keys or bass, but I guess an other electribe capable of notes would do the trick as well.

Archived