IGNORED

World Cup 2014

Players crying I can understand. When I played club football, our side got beaten in one match 8-0 and I cried on the bus, it was fucking embarrassing to play such shitty football. As a player, you have passion, you dedicate so much of your life to this pursuit.

But fans crying is pure nonsense.

Yeah, it's okay for players to cry on certain occasions (as long as it is not all the fucking time).

I watched the Liverpool v Chelsea with a relative who is a Liverpool fan, the match where Liverpool lost the title for this season, he started to get cry.

Shit was so cringeworthy, I almost started to cry too out of sheer embarrassment, haha.

Man... this Netherlands v Argentina is a snorefest so far. The only thing that keep this from being a 0-0 draw is a goal on a setpiece or something, both teams have parked the bus. Netherlands have had 6 players on the defensive line at times. But I understand both teams wanting to take prepercussions after what happened last night.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very cagey match. Dutch doing a terrible job of feeding Van Persie.

Thought Mascherano was gonna have to go off after that clash of heads.

It's pretty much a chessmatch. Ironically this game is more about what is happening where the ball isn't.

Anyways, i'm off snoring

Argentina was a bit better in the first half. So, I think I know the final round...

So Argentina at the Maracanã, just to rub more salt in the wound of Brazil.

Also Cillessen looked so poor at all the penalty kicks, I heard the commentator mention that he has never saved a penalty in his career, maybe he should have been subbed for Krul again.

i dont understand what the managers were thinking today, van gaal got what he deserved.

Lol wut?

Defensively the Dutch were great, really constrained Messi and co.

Attacking-wise they weren't really good, their midfield lacks some if the quality they had 4 years ago. Schneider looked tubby lol.

The Argentinians were boring for the most part.

If Low is smart, he'll watch how the Dutch took care of the Argentine attack. The German midfield is far superior to the Dutch, and I believe Muller and Schweinsteiger will be at their übermensch best.

that bullshit of "i dont care about style i care about winning" usualy doesnt work, van gaal has been very negative during the knockout stages, he wnated to pull a paraguay copa america 2011 and get to the final by winning penalty shootouts.

He was just a coward with his tactics, he isolated van persei all game, most of their crosses came from a few yards after the center circle. I don't respect how he set up his team today.

What was he afraid of? Rojo? gimme a break

he also destroyed Cillessen's confidence by pulling that "masterstroke" against costa rica

Sabella was just as cowardly as van gaal, but i expected that from him today because this is a average argentina side and he knows it and he set ups his team with that knowledge.

Guest Roksen Creek

I thought Argentina played well in that match.

Just my opinion.

They were worse when Aguero and Funny Ponytail came on though.

i was thinking the same thing. is their rivalry strictly based on football or is there something else i'm unaware of?

that bullshit of "i dont care about style i care about winning" usualy doesnt work, van gaal has been very negative during the knockout stages, he wnated to pull a paraguay copa america 2011 and get to the final by winning penalty shootouts.

He was just a coward with his tactics, he isolated van persei all game, most of their crosses came from a few yards after the center circle. I don't respect how he set up his team today.

What was he afraid of? Rojo? gimme a break

he also destroyed Cillessen's confidence by pulling that "masterstroke" against costa rica

Sabella was just as cowardly as van gaal, but i expected that from him today because this is a average argentina side and he knows it and he set ups his team with that knowledge.

What was he afraid of? Messi, Higuain, Perez, Lavezzi, and possibly Aguero. YOu'd have to be an idiot not to see the attacking force that is.

Defensively the Dutch were excellent, it was containment without resorting to just parking the bus like a certain Chelsea side.

The Dutch midfield was not great, because they're either too old (Schneider is past his prime), too inexperienced (Clasie and Wijnaldum - yes I had to look up how to spell that), or not really attack minded (De Jong). Kuyt was playing as a wingback, which is not his natural position, Robben was timid when he got the ball, and the Argentine defense did a good job in shutting them down, making those long crosses the best option. I don't think Van Gaal was cowardly, he was simply limited in his options.

Cillessen will be fine, he's still a baby in terms of a keeper's age.

I feel a bit sorry for RVP,

i was thinking the same thing. is their rivalry strictly based on football or is there something else i'm unaware of?

The Brazil/Argentina rivalry is probably the biggest in national football, they really don't like each other.

The rivalry is of course based on Argentina and Brazil always being the two most successful teams from South America.

But also geopolitical stuff, like Argentina used to be a lot richer than Brazil, making the Argentineans feeling all superior in a lot of ways, and that has been creating some tension historically. That has all changed now of course, Brazil being a potential superpower on the world stage and all, and Argentina on the brink of the second national bankruptcy in less than 20 years.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/27/us-vulture-funds-argentina-bankruptcy

The Brazil/Argentina rivalry is probably the biggest in national football, they really don't like each other.

The rivalry is of course based on Argentina and Brazil always being the two most successful teams from South America.

But also geopolitical stuff, like Argentina used to a lot richer than Brazil, making the Argentineans feeling all superior in a lot of ways, and that has been creating some tension historically. That has all changed now of course, Brazil being a potential superpower on the world stage and all, and Argentina on the brink of the second national bankruptcy in less than 20 years.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/27/us-vulture-funds-argentina-bankruptcy

thanks. weren't these the two countries that most nazis fled to after world war 2?

The rivalry is of course based on Argentina and Brazil always being the two most successful teams from South America.bankruptcy"]http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/27/us-vulture-funds-argentina-bankruptcy[/url]

Uruguay is more successful than both of them

What?

Brazil has won 5 world cup trophies (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002)

Argentina won 2 (1978, 1986)

Uruguay has also won 2 (1930, 1950)

So guess you could say that Argentina and Uruguay are equally successful, but Argentina were also runners-up in 1930 and 1990, which Uruguay hasn't been before. So I would still argue that Argentina are more successful than Uruguay in footballing terms. And Argentina will of course also be runners-up or winners this year as well, depending on the result of the final of course.

But also geopolitical stuff, like Argentina used to a lot richer than Brazil, making the Argentineans feeling all superior in a lot of ways, and that has been creating some tension historically. That has all changed now of course, Brazil being a potential superpower on the world stage and all, and Argentina on the brink of the second national bankruptcy in less than 20 years.

thanks. weren't these the two countries that most nazis fled to after world war 2?

I have to admit I don't know that much about that, other than Brazil had pre and post war ties with Nazi Germany. They were supposedly economic partners, and Brazil also had a strong fascist political presence in the country around the time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Integralism

And then it is well-documented that Brazil and Argentina accepted fleeing Nazi war criminals from Germany post-WWII. But I'm not sure about the scale of it.

There are also those tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorists that believe Hitler didn't kill himself in the bunker in Berlin in 1945, but fled to Argentina and died an old man there. But I really don't believe in silly conspiracy theories, so make of that what you want ;)

That reminds of this episode of The Simpsons (could only find it in German)

I'm counting copa America wins too which Uruguay has 14, Argentina 13 and brasil 8.

In the modern Copa America era, Brazil has 5 and Uruguay has 4. The editions in the previous era had many inconsistencies and cannot truly be counted. But whatever, you probably think Suarez has been unfairly vilified.

Lol read my posts about Suarez, I think he let the team down and deserves the ban.

If the rules are that only modern football matters then cerial is right.

And don't you dare talk about bias, the way you defend van gaal is almost like you were a nan u fan, :)

I'm not fighting by the way is all in good fun,

I would have defended Van Gaal anyways, I think he's a great manager. Also what's nan u? Is that a United side comprised solely of Nani clones?

lol noone's fighting, I was just trying to get you to bite ;)

I'm counting copa America wins too which Uruguay has 14, Argentina 13 and brasil 8.

Well, this is the World Cup thread, so I thought that was what we were talking about.

But yeah, Uruguay's trophy collection is pretty damn impressive, especially considering there only lives like 3.3 million people in the country.

It's actually kind of mental when you think about it.

Archived