IGNORED

ISIS!

spunktronics

So just curious yall..

(And Limpy - this isnt directed at you- just using your posts as comparison :D ) How is it that your responses to Limpy whose making some pretty sweeping / generalized statements about Islam / Mohammad, so chill and friendly and you guys are having more of an actual discussion, while I merely just use the damn phrase "Islamic extremism" and suddenly I'm cast out as a bafoon?!?

Is this something personal, honestly?

Ive actually seen the overtly racist / antisemetic Chunky whose now banned (mostly cuz of my doing) get less flack than i do for posts such as the ones i made a few days ago on here ...

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol sponsored ad in tapashit is for wargaming.

Lane: same question as I put earlier to limpy.

Chen, agreed that you're pretty much always calm and calculated.. as much as we may disagree strongly about politics, i appreciate and respect that.

Guess im still pretty pissed about the "Get to know some muslims in your neighborhood" statement from Usagi, as if just because I believe Islamic extremism is a real thing (as by the way, the majority of the world, scholarly research and status quo agrees w me on- see Islamic fundamentalism on Wiki), it means im an ignorant hick- pretty fucking ridiculous.

Yeah

Whenever I hear the "get to know some Muslims in your neighborhood" sorta gambit

I just think about Scientology

Imagine if every time someone criticized the beliefs and tenets of Scientology

They were told "well obviously you don't know any Scientologists"

Or imagine if we were told about 'sophisticated interpretations' of Scientology

By the Reza Aslans of the world

Would anyone flinch?

Would we say "yes, I suppose my understanding of Xenu and E-meters was a bit literal and unsophisticated"?

To me, from the outside, Islam just looks like a stone-age Scientology

(Something about emperors and clothes...)

Sent from my pee-pee using poo-poo

OK, to not be too big of a dick (there's plenty of those already it seems), lets go.

What do you want with a comparison between scientology and islam? Or put differently, why would someone, not you limpy, want to make a comparison between these two?

Do you want to say that religion is bullshit? All religions are bullshit? (is scientology a religion btw...or something else? there's an argument here, but lets not get dragged away)

Or were you making some other point? Because I really don't see why that comparison could help this discussion in any way. Other than to say you don't like being told to get to know some people first before you make judgments. Because it feels kind of belittling?

Sorry, that comparison was the most inane thing I read today on this forum. It's really beyond me why anyone could type that shit without thinking "wait a minute, perhaps I need to rethink this before I make this post".

You don't seem to see the point of any of my posts

Which is fine

But for the last 2-3 pages my posts have been direct(-ish) responses to other posts

My point with Islam and Scientology

Is that nobody should need to know a Scientologist IRL

In order to criticize the beliefs and tenets of Scientology

(I thought that would be clear from the first post, but alas...)

As for demonstrating that you make excuses and apologisms

for people who champion a monster as the highest moral example possible:

You have spent your every breath in this thread

Defending Islam from blasphemers like me and Lane

Perhaps I am mistaken (quite possible)

But it almost seems like there's no possible criticism of Islam that you would let stand

Or concede

So I think you are doing my work for me

edit: or, in other words, the fact that this comparison seems so obvious to you say a lot about your beliefs about what is scientology, and what is islam. you basically assume this is a valid comparison and in no way explain why this would hold up in the world that's outside of your head.

you're entitled to have your opinion, but don't expect any of us to just magically follow along your internal logic of how the world looks. to me at least, the comparison makes absolutely no sense. and that says to me you're ignorant about islam and have no intention to invest in any way or form before you make a judgment. i don't know if you actually are. but the argument you present makes me think that's the case

As for demonstrating that you make excuses and apologisms

for people who champion a monster as the highest moral example possible:

You have spent your every breath in this thread

Defending Islam from blasphemers like me and Lane

Perhaps I am mistaken (quite possible)

But it almost seems like there's no possible criticism of Islam that you would let stand

Or concede

So I think you are doing my work for me

every breath. wow. are you high?

so by telling me i spend every breath in this thread (!?) to defend islam from blasphemers...you basically fall back into the strawman thing. congrats.

funny thing is that i actually think there is a valid reason to put religion into the equation, but somehow you just need that strawman in your life to have this argument against. please continu. i can learn a thing or two here as well. i'm simply amazed.

To someone like me who wasn't indoctrinated into a religion

Yes, most religions give me that same Scientology vibe

I think the irony of your view of me as being short-sighted

Is that history is littered with the corpses of thousands of dead gods

And dead religions

If you want me to think that the current religions on offer aren't just dead religions that haven't died yet

Then I'm all fucking ears, Godel

Please, convince me how Islam (et all) isn't just "Greek mythology 2015"

The point is that it makes no sense in this discussion to make a point that islam or any other religion is mostly nonsense. Apart from the fact that most people around here are atheists as F, it doesn't help in understanding the problem isis poses in any way. It only states the obvious. Yeah, they're a bunch of bad people with silly beliefs. Wow. Thanks for clearing that up.

But no, it is not "obvious"

Again, ~40% of Americans are creationist Christians

I am not attacking a strawman

You can act like most people in the world agree with me

That most people read holy texts like Joseph Campbell or Alan Watts do

And that I'm talking about some tiny minority

But you are wrong

This is a world-wide problem (and indeed it is a problem)

funny, i actually think you're attacking a strawman. you're not discussing with those 40% in this thread, right? that flesh and blood strawman that roams in this thread is mostly atheist. and hardly presents that creationist population you're arguing against. but somehow you need those 40% to make your point? that's your strawman right there.

i also don't "act" like most people in the world agree with you. (new strawman of yours?) lets just stick to the discussion in this thread instead of having a discussion with 40% of the us which believes in creationism. who in his right mind would be interested in having a fruitful discussion with them? (while they're not even here?...isnt that the definition of a strawman??)

i got to tell you though. i feel for the people from the us sometimes. especially when they come here arguing against the people they are surrounded with in their daily lives in the us. full of all those frustrations that comes along dealing with the bigotry.

please remember there's plenty people here that don't necessarily have similar experiences in their daily lives and are just confused whenever you start to vent your frustrations at them as if they are those bigots you have to deal with every single day.

I think you're nudging the goal posts a smidge

Two atheists are debating to what extant religious beliefs are problematic (or whatever)

One says they are, one says they aren't

I'm not trying to convince you to be an atheist

I'm trying to convince you that religious beliefs are indeed problematic (or whatever)

funny, i actually think you're attacking a strawman. you're not discussing with those 40% in this thread, right? that flesh and blood strawman that roams in this thread is mostly atheist. and hardly presents that creationist population you're arguing against. but somehow you need those 40% to make your point? that's your strawman right there.

i also don't "act" like most people in the world agree with you. (new strawman of yours?) lets just stick to the discussion in this thread instead of having a discussion with 40% of the us which believes in creationism. who in his right mind would be interested in having a fruitful discussion with them? (while they're not even here?...isnt that the definition of a strawman??)

I'm now convinced you're being willfully obtuse

(I can piece together bits of our conversation as evidence of such, if you like)

Edit: will take me a bit on the iPad, though

nope. i've seen only one or two people saying to completely leave religion out of it. and numerous people who are somewhere in the grey area. and a couple of supposed hardcore anti-religion people (who, i believe are mostly wailing against the idea that there might be people who dare to think religion has nothing to do with it ... and that idea makes them bloody furious!!!!).

i'm somewhere in the grey area. as i've said before. but it's not really about me, is it? (it's that darn strawman again)

I'm now convinced you're being willfully obtuse

(I can piece together bits of our conversation as evidence of such, if you like)

Edit: will take me a bit on the iPad, though

we tried that before. wasn't really a succes, was it? something about me using every breath in my body and all. quite poetic. but apart from poetry, hardly any useful substance. please don't do that again. waste of your time.

You have not addressed my posts

You have said either "what's your point?" or "strawman"

You have rather craftily dodged my criticisms of Islam

Do you think Muhammad is a good moral example to base a religion around?

Do you really see no parallel between ISIS and Muhammad's actions and teachings?

Archived