IGNORED

LU35NVX

Guest skibby

Cool track. Quality wise there is a lot of tight punchy mid range but not really any low end, the highs are nice, not harsh or grating or anything. Is this what you meant by sound quality?

track reminds me of global goon, who I'm incidentally listening to (before I put your track on)

Sounds great here - pretty much with Stephen on the description, really nicely rounded mid and high end, very little low end, but it sounds as if it's been intentionally mixed that way rather than feeling lacking.

Nice track, the time changes took me by surprise each time without feeling at all novelty, which is always great!

Personally I prefer this mix, did you slow it down also?. Rather than lowering it an octave, is there something you can do EQ wise to give it a bit of an extension on the low end? Boost the 25-30hz range?

It sounds as though you've done some work with an imager already to get the punchiness out of the bass.

I don't know, I don't have any talent so it's hard for me to offer criticism lol.

Edit: I meant "rather than lowering it ANOTHER octave", because it sounds good now that you've lowered it one.

Guest skibby

Personally I prefer this mix, did you slow it down also?. Rather than lowering it an octave, is there something you can do EQ wise to give it a bit of an extension on the low end? Boost the 25-30hz range?

It sounds as though you've done some work with an imager already to get the punchiness out of the bass.

I don't know, I don't have any talent so it's hard for me to offer criticism lol.

Edit: I meant "rather than lowering it ANOTHER octave", because it sounds good now that you've lowered it one.

i was using too many clippers throughout the track, as an experiment and i think it was messing up the bass.

i did put a -1db high shelf, and rolled off on the saw wave bass synth's tone knob, and put a tilt eq in there too. the bass synth seems the culprit tho, since im using a high pass at around 300 for the rest of the stuff, trying to adhere to the "if it aint kick n bass, then high pass it"

i was using too many clippers throughout the track, as an experiment and i think it was messing up the bass.

i did put a -1db high shelf, and rolled off on the saw wave bass synth's tone knob, and put a tilt eq in there too. the bass synth seems the culprit tho, since im using a high pass at around 300 for the rest of the stuff, trying to adhere to the "if it aint kick n bass, then high pass it"

Ok so I'm not far off in my assumptions with what you've done.

Is this using hardware or software for this?

sound 'quality' translates good on my shiz (which is headphones), prefer the second mix because of mo bass. Nice tempo switch ups.

reaper, and synth1 for bassline + reaeq for the filter.

I was just wondering what the possibilities would be if you were to use something like the matrix sequencers tie function to extend the low bass, 303 style...

Those are some pretty awesome sounds! As far as criticism of them um. Well it seems as though my right speaker is getting a bit more bass than my left. Or at least a bit more mid-range? There's something off is all I can tell, so it must be pretty even. I've been listening to it on and off for a while and it's a feeling I just can't shake. To be honest it isn't a big deal, if I wasn't looking for something to criticize I probably wouldn't have noticed xD

Are you imaging certain frequencies to one side? If that's the case, you could probably trap those mid range frequencies and play with them more!

Guest skibby

wow great feedback Stephen and Brisbot.

now the mix seems too bassy for me, and ive checked all the eqs and used shelves instead of high pass in most cases. im not sure what bass is missing. i tried dropping an octave on the bass but twas too low. am i getting hazed? ;)

there isnt really any more room for bass, its so busy already.

will try in mono a while., and a/b against some good music.

Aye the second mix is ace. In the first it was really dominating the mix but jells far better in the second version. Cracking track man, real good fun !

Very cool track, I like the way it starts. Mix (2nd one) is cool, as others have said. The tempo changes are kinda funny :)

edit: I'm not a big fan of that fade out though.

wow great feedback Stephen and Brisbot.

now the mix seems too bassy for me, and ive checked all the eqs and used shelves instead of high pass in most cases. im not sure what bass is missing. i tried dropping an octave on the bass but twas too low. am i getting hazed? ;)

there isnt really any more room for bass, its so busy already.

will try in mono a while., and a/b against some good music.

The second mix is far better as it occupies more of the audible range of frequencies.

I think if you're happy with the way the bass sounds, leave it! There are just a few tricks to extend it into the lower range at the tail end of the note, that don't involve lowering things an octave or eq'ing.

I think the track sounds good where it's at. A full album in a similar style would be good to do a workout to =).

DO YOU EVEN LIFT??? lol

Guest skibby

Nope. Something about rap music ?

well, im starting to think i'm dyslexic, so i meant to say "im trying to straighten out my shit, do you know what i mean?" but since i wanted to say shiz, i tried to create a flow out of it.

The second mix is far better as it occupies more of the audible range of frequencies.

I think if you're happy with the way the bass sounds, leave it! There are just a few tricks to extend it into the lower range at the tail end of the note, that don't involve lowering things an octave or eq'ing.

I think the track sounds good where it's at. A full album in a similar style would be good to do a workout to =).

DO YOU EVEN LIFT??? lol

brisbot came with a good point, i noticed the 'spread' function in the unison section in synth1 seems to be panning, which isn't what i wanted at all. also, im trying to add punctuation during dead spots. there will be a new mix. i've got a project with a ton of random tracks that i'm looking at and listening to, comparing with mine, to again "de-skew my shit"

Very cool track, I like the way it starts. Mix (2nd one) is cool, as others have said. The tempo changes are kinda funny :)

edit: I'm not a big fan of that fade out though.

yeah the fadeout was a haste mistake, twas late and i wanted to head home with an usb and share.

thanks th555

Guest ansgaria

I smiled all the way through the track, such a fun and exciting listen. A bit too sterile for my taste, though I do have a predilection for abrasive mix.

And I hear a Windowlicker vocal sample in there.

Guest skibby

sound 'quality' translates good on my shiz (which is headphones), prefer the second mix because of mo bass. Nice tempo switch ups.

wow, missed this comment somehow, thank you!

I smiled all the way through the track, such a fun and exciting listen. A bit too sterile for my taste, though I do have a predilection for abrasive mix.

And I hear a Windowlicker vocal sample in there.

:)

i learned that i need to add more bass to my tracks. but i still don't know what frequencies of bass i need to add. i know what sounds good in other peoples music but i lack the workflow/knowledge to find myself in the same sonic space i guess.

i love all the harmonic and melodic content, but the beats don't do it justice imo... but damn fantastic bass jam, i just think the overall sound of the bass is a bit weak, and i'm sorry if i don't have any tips for it, i have the same trouble myself.

in conclusion, i would take your midi file and replace almost all of the samples and patches you used. i would, if i knew how to make them the way i picture them in my head, oh well...

Guest skibby

i know. i have every drum sample in the world but tbh i cant get one to sound good.

this track is accompaniment to a song wtitten by a friend who is a singer songwriter, so theres room for stuff intentionally.

im just trying to find out why i am bad at making joints in the wibbles.

thanks MJ!

Archived