IGNORED

Monophonic Pitch to Midi Techniques?

Brisbot

So, lately I've been trying to experiment with using my voice as a method to convert pitch into midi. The best software I have that can do this and I've seen is Melodyne for monophonic recording. But of course even this only hits about 60/70% of the notes correctly (my voice might be hitting a similar percentage as well :)

I'm just wondering if any of you have experimented with this with decent success? Do you just have your voice going through it, or is it feasible to have it running through autotune lower in the FX chain? Do you guys have any weird techniques for this that turn up the percentage? All I have been doing is recording my voice through a mic, throwing a mute ahead of the FX chain so I don't have to hear the slight latency, then transferring it into melodyne and pulling it out as midi.

I have tried pitching it up, which actually does help a little bit, I guess since it has more cycles to look at or something. (I have no clue).

Also, when recording your voice, what kind of sibilants do you use? Meaning whether or not you're humming it or saying 'mi' or 'buh' since your main goal is to get the pitch in there and to be on key, not necessarily singing or humming it well. I personally use "mi" "muh" since the 'm' is very soft and doesn't mess things up quite as often. Of course if you have something better...

The goal of course is to become more accurate. I think I'd be happy if I managed to get the 60% up to 80-90% of the notes correctly hit.

autotune should help, maybe depending on what autotune plugin you use

i think there are a bunch of plugins that do this, trying different ones would help. searching "plugin audio to midi" turns up some. actually searching "midi plugin audio to notes" turned up some youtube tutorials for doing exactly what you want

i'm intending to set up a project to let me do basically this but i want to use acoustic guitar as the "controller." already set one up to convert finger drumming to midi data with velocity, its nice. javascript plugin called "drumtrigger" works well, i think it came with reaper

What DAW are you using? Live 9 has pretty good "slice melody to MIDI" function. I haven't personally used Melodyne, so idk what's up with that.

I use FL. It has Edison which can do audio to midi but Edison is basically Melodyne-lite at least with midi converting.

i think there are a bunch of plugins that do this, trying different ones would help. searching "plugin audio to midi" turns up some. actually searching "midi plugin audio to notes" turned up some youtube tutorials for doing exactly what you want

i'm intending to set up a project to let me do basically this but i want to use acoustic guitar as the "controller." already set one up to convert finger drumming to midi data with velocity, its nice. javascript plugin called "drumtrigger" works well, i think it came with reaper

Yeah, I only have a few free autotune plugs and they kind of suck. It simply doesn't convert it fast enough real time and ends up sounding weird. I haven't used them much though so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

There are a number of programs that do this, especially ones that do it in real time. I've used a few, even with straight up saw waves and they seem to have detection issues and are off. That's why I've gone to melodyne since it's honestly the best I've found and is the least wonky. I am still always looking though. The main issue is that I'm trying to compensate for my voice, and that a lot of these methods are for guitar.

What DAW are you using? Live 9 has pretty good "slice melody to MIDI" function. I haven't personally used Melodyne, so idk what's up with that.

I use FL. It has Edison which can do audio to midi but Edison is basically Melodyne-lite at least with midi converting.

Yeah, I only have a few free autotune plugs and they kind of suck. It simply doesn't convert it fast enough real time and ends up sounding weird. I haven't used them much though so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

There are a number of programs that do this, especially ones that do it in real time. I've used a few, even with straight up saw waves and they seem to have detection issues and are off. That's why I've gone to melodyne since it's honestly the best I've found and is the least wonky. I am still always looking though. The main issue is that I'm trying to compensate for my voice, and that a lot of these methods are for guitar.

What if you EQ your voice before it routes into melodyne to remove some harmonics and give it a better chance of tracking properly?

What if you EQ your voice before it routes into melodyne to remove some harmonics and give it a better chance of tracking properly?

Oh yeah. The harmonics determine the pitch and I have no clue what the dissonant pitches are for every possible note, but that gives me the idea of removing the sibilant. If I use a t sibilant, then it'll be in the higher frequencies and I could remove that. So good idea! yeaah

FL has pitcher which is quite good for autotuning. If only Pitcher had midi out, I think it'd be perfect.

OH yeah, forgot about that vst! Don't even have it selected.

You can use Puredata's "fiddle~" object to take an output and turn it into a frequency, then you can turn that frequency into a midi range. There's a bunch of other stuff you would have to code, though, like smoothing and glissandi if you want it to fit chromatically.

Archived