IGNORED

r.e. Further info about SAW 85-92

heyheyjack

Saw 85-92 is my favourite album. I've probably listened to it in its entirety at least 80 times - even more so lately since I purchased it on vinyl.

Anyway, does anyone have any interesting info regarding the process behind the record that I wouldn't be able to find from a google search?

Guest transmisiones ferox

I remeber good article about SAW and the first releases here a few years ago, can't find it now

OK, here's some actual real info (that probably isn't too well known): The tracks on 85-92 were complied from a series of C-90 cassettes Richard gave to his friends to listen to in their cars... from those (rumoured) 11 or so cassettes, the final tracks were chosen for 85-92.

OK, here's some actual real info (that probably isn't too well known): The tracks on 85-92 were complied from a series of C-90 cassettes Richard gave to his friends to listen to in their cars... from those (rumoured) 11 or so cassettes, the final tracks were chosen for 85-92.

That explains the Martin's Car / Sams Car titles I guess, cool!

I still would love to know which tracks from the album are from 1985 / 1986 (I think 'I' was considered the oldest one on there? I remember someone posting an estimate of every track a while ago). SAW 1.5 and the other tracks from that era give a better look into that period, although I still think most of the tracks were made between 1988 - 1992.

That I did not know...very interesting. Cheers for sharing

I still would love to know which tracks from the album are from 1985 / 1986 (I think 'I' was considered the oldest one on there? I remember someone posting an estimate of every track a while ago). SAW 1.5 and the other tracks from that era give a better look into that period, although I still think most of the tracks were made between 1988 - 1992.

Was just about to ask if it's public knowledge how old each track is and which is the oldest.

Nice!

Yep... SamanTHA to be precise...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

given that everything in the soundcloud dump seems to be 88 or later, and that he posted his "first experiments" with his casio sampler dated 87/88, i'd imagine almost all of these tracks to be from 87-92. it also seems from the soundcloud dump info and syrobonkers itvw that he got most of his gear in 87-88. "i" sounds like the dx100, which he bought in december of 86, according to the receipt he posted.

"tha" sounds like a "newer" track, prob recorded to dat, also "schottkey 7th path" has a lot of distorted 92-ish sounds in it.

given that everything in the soundcloud dump seems to be 88 or later, and that he posted his "first experiments" with his casio sampler dated 87/88, i'd imagine almost all of these tracks to be from 87-92. it also seems from the soundcloud dump info and syrobonkers itvw that he got most of his gear in 87-88. "i" sounds like the dx100, which he bought in december of 86, according to the receipt he posted.

"tha" sounds like a "newer" track, prob recorded to dat, also "schottkey 7th path" has a lot of distorted 92-ish sounds in it.

Spot on. I remember a discussion I had with ZoeB on this, my argument was basically this:

In which he said he worked in the mines at age 17 to buy his first equipment = 87/88ish. So him posting that recept was a nice counter argument for that :)

Also the Roland R8 drum machine which features on all the older sounding SAW85-92 tracks came out in 1989. I don't think there's anything from 85 on there, the only track could be i, so I reckon 87-92 (being charitable) or 89-92 is closer to the mark. I asked him which track was from 85 once and he said Green Calx -which has an R8 (89) and samples robocop (87). But honestly who cares, it's one of the greatest albums ever made, and the whole 85 thing was a good ruse to bolster his mythology. job well done ;)

Guest bitroast

I asked him which track was from 85 once and he said Green Calx -which has an R8 (89) and samples robocop (87).

lol

Also the Roland R8 drum machine which features on all the older sounding SAW85-92 tracks came out in 1989. I don't think there's anything from 85 on there, the only track could be i, so I reckon 87-92 (being charitable) or 89-92 is closer to the mark. I asked him which track was from 85 once and he said Green Calx -which has an R8 (89) and samples robocop (87). But honestly who cares, it's one of the greatest albums ever made, and the whole 85 thing was a good ruse to bolster his mythology. job well done ;)

No 808 at all?

Hah, well, there you go! Thanks for sharing.

With all this new info it's funny to read this interview from 1993 again, saying how most tracks were four or five years old at that time, so that makes sense. But then there's the claim about buying a Roland 100m at age 13, as well as some other questionable things (not sampling other peoples stuff, etc.) :)

post-3111-0-46802300-1328465922.jpg\

post-3111-0-05325700-1328465940.jpg

Also, that part about Didgeridoo being one of the six tracks to end a party with, Human Rotation must be another one in that list. Any more?

I don't suppose you have any info on Ptolemy? Difficult to think of a more perfectly structure piece of music.

maybe he had the melody in his head since 85 ~

No 808 at all?

all the 808 sounds on the record are from the r8

Archived