IGNORED

Creating your own melodic parts using sampled instruments

Polytrix

I'm really fascinated by this idea in general and would like to hear what you lot do too.

As much as I like DAW presets, it seems far too easy somehow. I'm so much more proud of it when it's my own sound.

Record your own sound from whatever - I used a weird chime tone from a kid's wind up toy today recorded with my Zoom recorder.

Fuck with it, pitch, filter, distortion, effects etc - resample and slam into a sampler for playback (I use Ableton's simpler as it just maps the sound to my midi keyboard straight off) - then play with sample start/length and you can isolate discreet sounds.

I could make a whole series of songs just using that technique alone and then adding stuff around it. Do you lot do it like this too?

Happy Sundays to you all.

I started out with trackers and didn't have any decent sample sets (unless I ripped them from other tunes) so I did this right from the beginning. I think the first thing I ever sampled was just myself whistling and it ended up sounding a lot like the intro lead sound from this song:

Weird comparison, but I remember hearing that song on the radio after I'd played around with my whistling sample and was convinced that they'd done something similar to get that sound.

Cool thanks, I'll try that too.

I was actually thinking I'd really like an MPC...but too expensive right now. I think sampling is maybe the most fun thing right now for me.

I would really like a sample player that quickly/automatically maps multiple samples to the keyboard. I often have a bunch of samples called C1.wav, C2.wav, C3.wav etc and it's pretty tiresome to arrange them manually.

I would really like a sample player that quickly/automatically maps multiple samples to the keyboard. I often have a bunch of samples called C1.wav, C2.wav, C3.wav etc and it's pretty tiresome to arrange them manually.

Kontakt

I do it fuckloads with my accordion and did it with a bass guitar once, I tend to sample a whole riff/tune/bassline etc, and tweak it to better fit the bpm in audacity, and put fx over it in reaper. You don't need fancy software

Archived