IGNORED

Field Recording - Intercepting transmissions from radio/tv antenna

Polytrix

So I've recently been recording from the top of a castle ruins in a rural setting. It's at a quite high elevation and is in direct line of sight/hearing of what I assume to be a TV/Radio antenna station. I almost feel as though if I stand in certain places I'm actually the same height as the top of the antenna. 

I might be totally wrong here and imagining things but the other day I was sure I was picking up signals emitted from the station. By moving my mic by tiny amounts in different directions relative to the antenna I was sure I was picking up audio signals including voices and what sounded like tv/radio. Is this possible? It was very strange but also exciting.

Either way, it was very cool as I was kind of phasing in and out of multiple audio signals and they were all merging into this cool glitched out drone thing.

a friend of mine had a radio scanner back in the day and you could here phone conversations. really neat, but i thought it was morally wrong even though i didn't know the people, so i didn't continue doing it.

There are a lot of people in the HAM community (an old friend of mine is a licensed operator and turned me on to this) who run sites that let you tune their recievers remotely through a web interface and record the results as a downloadable CD audio WAV, which can be a pretty cool source of samples.

I used to have some especially active ones bookmarked but I seem to have deleted the,.  Here's a random one I just found on Google:

http://www.livehams.com/

It doesn't have the "record and download" feature some do, but you could always record it with an audio loopback driver or from your interface's output or whatever.

Around 2010 I lived down the street from falafel delivery place and if I listened to records between 3 and 5 PM their CB chatter would get picked up by something in my system (unshielded Grado cartridge, probably) and come out of the speakers with the music, so I have no doubt you're picking up stuff from that antenna with a dynamic mic, which is basically a big phono cartridge, electronically speaking.

a friend of mine had a radio scanner back in the day and you could here phone conversations. really neat, but i thought it was morally wrong even though i didn't know the people, so i didn't continue doing it.

heh i've felt the same way... i remember that i've only listened to those that i couldn't fully understand what they're talking about; kind of a compromise.  :cisfor:

I might be totally wrong here and imagining things but the other day I was sure I was picking up signals emitted from the station. By moving my mic by tiny amounts in different directions relative to the antenna I was sure I was picking up audio signals including voices and what sounded like tv/radio. Is this possible? It was very strange but also exciting.

You might message Deion Sanders, he does field recordings a lot and perhaps could fill you in on if that's possible. I remember recently had a scanner / ham radio (I don't know much about these things) and mentioned he heard muffled voices on some frequencies. He's up in the Seattle area and there's a lot of Naval and other military bases in the area so it could of been from those.

What's a ghost box???!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

It's a radio receiver with an AM/FM band sweep function to try to "contact the dead" ooooooh spoooky.  so yeah, I answered my own question.

So it's a paranormal oriented shortwave radio?

This shit looks like a lot of fun. I can see why old retirees still mess with ham radios, can easily see myself spending my spare time in the future messing around with this stuff.

Archived