IGNORED

Deaf Center - Pale Ravine 2LP reissue + bonus tracks

purlieu

From the Deaf Center Facebook:

Just in from the pressing plant! Pale Ravine (2016 edition) coming very soon in a 2LP gatefold edition through Miasmah. We are excited to finally see PR on vinyl again, and hope you are too. It´s been about 11 years by now since it came out through Type Records. This version will also include a whole side of material from the same timeframe not properly released before. Also included is the 2 tracks that were originally cut from the first vinyl edition.

Bonus tracks:

D1 Social Lucy Waltz

D2 The Hall
D3 Forest
D4 Corridor
D5 End Station

ANOST have it shipping from the 21st, although no official date has been given from Miasmah (it's not even listed on the website yet). 

Slightly disappointed that there's no CD edition given that Miasmah was a CD-only label up until a couple of years ago (Erik's going with the 'no one buys CDs anymore' nonsense, sadly), as it really is a start-to-finish listen and I can't imagine three gaps doing the album any favours, but I'll still have to get this as the album's in my all-time top ten.

Slightly disappointed that there's no CD edition given that Miasmah was a CD-only label up until a couple of years ago (Erik's going with the 'no one buys CDs anymore' nonsense, sadly), as it really is a start-to-finish listen and I can't imagine three gaps doing the album any favours, but I'll still have to get this as the album's in my all-time top ten.

It's on Miasmah, though, so there should at least be a digital download included with the vinyl.

It's on Miasmah, though, so there should at least be a digital download included with the vinyl.

Yeah, there'll be digital vinyls and analogue vinyls. I'd just prefer CD in terms of space and price and ease of listening.

But fuck it, five new Pale Ravine-era tracks is still really fucking exciting.

Nice. I'd like that extra side of tracks but I have the original press so not gonna pay just for that. Really great LP, one of the finest records on type imo. I also think it's a fairly unique album even now. Lot of this neo-classical ambient out there is very samey in an easy-listening, soundtrack kind of way. Pale Ravine has a nice dark vibe, a bit of grit and strangeness that many such records lack. Owl Splinters is really good too. I'd say both records have a *moody* quality, a touch of angst that make them richer than other records in the genre. Great shit!

I also think it's a fairly unique album even now. Lot of this neo-classical ambient out there is very samey in an easy-listening, soundtrack kind of way. Pale Ravine has a nice dark vibe, a bit of grit and strangeness that many such records lack.

Totally, it's got a totally unique atmosphere to it. I think the combination of Otto and Erik works brilliantly - Otto's melodic, lighter piano stuff offsets the bleakness of Erik's solo stuff (particularly as Svarte Greiner), so it's got the best of both worlds - not too forgettable and soundtracky, or too heavy going and tuneless.

I'd recommend Retold by Nest, Otto's other project with Huw Roberts (who runs Serein) if anyone's not heard it and wants something similar to Pale Ravine. It's a touch lighter in tone but the only thing I've heard that comes close to DC. 

• 2 weeks later...

Came in the post this morning, just listening. Pristine sounding wax. Most of the bonus tracks were on the Secret Thirteen Mix they did a couple of years ago which is a tad disappointing, but not surprising. It's a beautiful thing either way.

Archived