IGNORED

Prince of Denmark kick

zoix

Hey guys, need your expertise on something. How do you get a kick like the one in the track below? I'm thinking it's a sub kick layered with a pitched down club kick without any sub. But I'm struggling to get a similar sound. Tips?

Well how do you want to 'get' the kick exactly? Obviously you could just sample it and that'd be the easiest way. If you're talking about recreating it and making a similar kick, what methods are you interested in? Building it from scratch in software? Using a hardware sampler to layer multiple sources and remake it in your own way? The options are literally infinite. It's possible it's from a specific piece of hardware that I don't recognize, but otherwise you could simply filter down any of dozens of kick drums and get that similar bap it has. Slight attack, short decay, chop the low and high (100hz-400hz maybe would be a good starting place).

Well how do you want to 'get' the kick exactly? Obviously you could just sample it and that'd be the easiest way. If you're talking about recreating it and making a similar kick, what methods are you interested in? Building it from scratch in software? Using a hardware sampler to layer multiple sources and remake it in your own way? The options are literally infinite. It's possible it's from a specific piece of hardware that I don't recognize, but otherwise you could simply filter down any of dozens of kick drums and get that similar bap it has. Slight attack, short decay, chop the low and high (100hz-400hz maybe would be a good starting place).

Yeah using a kick sample and then filter it would get one part of the sound. I guess I need to expand my question. I was wondering how you get that low end groove this track has. It seems there is just a kick but is there like a sub sine wave or something as well?

I mean if you cut the low end of the kick something else has to provide sub frequencies.

Layer a kick with a deep 808 sub bass hit, eq it (maybe remove everything around 200-400hz), and compress. You should ask Messiaen here on the forum. He's super into this Berghain kinda techno and produces some awesome stuff.

See, this is the kind of situation where I would love to be able to tag someone to catch their attention.

i usually just layer two or three kick drum samples, apply a small, early reverb with its brightness setting turned down to under 40hz cutoff, then cut everything under 20hz, everything over, i dunno, 1khz? you would just have to listen. and then compress with a 1176 or fabfilter pro-c. i also use devastor, with the wet signal on about 10 percent so the distortion is barely perceptible. i just scroll through the presets till something fits.  

i basically just piss about until i get something sounding nice. this is a great kick though. traumprinz is a boss. 

waves do a really nice bassdrum enhancer called the maserati B-72. its designed for bass guitars but sounds incredible on electronic kicks. think by its self its only 30 dollars or something.

parallel compression on a return track works wonders aswell. 

Thanks guys! Great advice here. Need to get back home tomorrow and try it all out.

Reverb on low end? Isn't that hard to control? Or am i misunderstanding?

Thanks guys! Great advice here. Need to get back home tomorrow and try it all out.

Reverb on low end? Isn't that hard to control?

yeah, it takes subtlety. i use d16 toraverb in the box, or my eventide space. 

What kind of monitoring do you have? I use a pair of Yamaha HS70s. No sub.

genelec m040s

Looks like they have similar freq response as the hs70s, so i might be okay.

Alright time to make techno. You got a soundcloud i can check out?

genelec m040s

Been thinking about buying those for quite a while... but they're way too expensive.

absolutely gorgeous though.

www.soundcloud.com/scarboglasgow

genelec m040s

Been thinking about buying those for quite a while... but they're way too expensive.

absolutely gorgeous though.

www.soundcloud.com/scarboglasgow

I was actually just listening to your stuff earlier today ;)

ive got a new one il upload, quite chuffed with it. i still never forget how weird it was to realise that maskine tune i had been playing out was made by you.

https://soundcloud.com/scarboglasgow/three-mood-phases

Really cool. Well balanced elements. That clap is mixed perfectly; quite low but still audible. Love the chain (?) and splash samples.

Have you released anything on a label?

nah not yet. im probably gonna start sending some demos out soon

What are you aiming for? Ive got some stuff i was thinking of sending to planet mu, hyperdub and ninja tune. A veeeery long shot of course but frankly i dont know many labels. How do you go about finding labels which are accepting demos?

you're asking the wrong man, ive never sent a demo to anyone. i would just email any labels i like personally with a well written and personalised spiel. im still not sure im making anything new enough to merit release. my production talents are getting honed, but i really want to make something as personal and unique as possible. 

you're asking the wrong man, ive never sent a demo to anyone. i would just email any labels i like personally with a well written and personalised spiel. im still not sure im making anything new enough to merit release. my production talents are getting honed, but i really want to make something as personal and unique as possible.

Yeah i get it. At the same time one needs practice and getting a few tunes out there which might not be mind blowing can still be a good learning experience i guess.

Would you look for a "we are accepting demos" on the labels site or mail them anyway?

nah i would just email them anyway. its not like it going to cause any bother, you just probably wont get an email back.

Ok. You always get a second opinion from someone of your tracks before deciding it is done?

Im making a habit of posting them on watmm before i am completely finished with them.

Yeah messian's description at first should be a great starting place. There's definitely a touch of reverb on the kick in the PoD track. The sub underneath the kick should be the easiest part, honestly, but it all depends on your equipment and such zoix.

The kick's fundamental frequency is around 63 Hz; there's also an extra partial around 180Hz, probably boosted by EQ, which gives the BD a slight 'wooden' quality if that makes sense; and there's definitely a quick ramp

The sub-bass is located around 40Hz, which explains the 'beating' (the low rumbling) happening between itself and the bass drum

Archived