IGNORED

feedback on new work

snack master

hello!

it's still raw, unfinished, and early in development, but i'm curious what you all think about this track.  i usually don't put much thought into "mastering" my work beyond just slapping a limiter on the master channel and being careful with mixing :cerious: so i'm open to critical feedback.

It's got potential. Beat is solid and sounds good on its own, but seems like a first draft and maybe needs some variation/etc. Bass is okay but a bit expected, could maybe use some tweaking. Melodies and synth sounds are pretty solid, and the really fill out the track nicely. All around seems like a good start for sure.

Mixing definitely needs to happen, but you're early in its stages so you know that. Definitely needs something to 'glue' the disparate components of the track together...this isn't a cut at your writing, but just the different tonal qualities and processing/effects makes it sound at a glance like you took a bunch of stock sample loops from different places and pressed play. I'm sure making the track feel more cohesive that will come with time. Bass/bass drum seem to bleed into each others' space at a few points and it sounded like it was maybe clipping or distorting.

Track itself sounds like it could really go somewhere interesting though.

It's got potential. Beat is solid and sounds good on its own, but seems like a first draft and maybe needs some variation/etc. Bass is okay but a bit expected, could maybe use some tweaking. Melodies and synth sounds are pretty solid, and the really fill out the track nicely. All around seems like a good start for sure.

Mixing definitely needs to happen, but you're early in its stages so you know that. Definitely needs something to 'glue' the disparate components of the track together...this isn't a cut at your writing, but just the different tonal qualities and processing/effects makes it sound at a glance like you took a bunch of stock sample loops from different places and pressed play. I'm sure making the track feel more cohesive that will come with time. Bass/bass drum seem to bleed into each others' space at a few points and it sounded like it was maybe clipping or distorting.

Track itself sounds like it could really go somewhere interesting though.

thanks for the feedback!  the comment about how my song elements make it sound like i took stock samples and simply pressed play is definitely food for thought.

i liked the track

mix the drums up a bit...some fills? nice beat though

ease off on the limiter to clear things up a tad

i always think tracks need a gasm moment where the listener can go ahhhh yea...make that bit!

just useless thoughts...

Yeah, so most of it has already been said. I think the track is like 80% there, but you need to start tweaking your parameters to give your tunes some variation. The same goes for the beat and bassline. It just kinda goes and never stops. I always use this as an example, but go listen to some Rhythm & Sound tunes. Nothing happens but for some reason you can listen to it for hours on end without growing tired of it. They were constantly fiddling around with the filters and creating the slightest variations here and there. You don't notice it, but it's the reason why 10 minutes of the same bassline and drums doesn't feel like 10 minutes.

When it comes to your track I would definitely fiddle around the filters, envelope and so on, and change up the drums, make more breaks, remove the drums, filter the drums, add delays to a snare hit here and there and so on. Anything goes really.

Like I said, the foundation is there but you just need to get the track beyond sounding like a loop :)

Oh, and it kinda sounds like something is clipping in a not so nice way.

Archived