IGNORED

Advice on selling a collection

J3FF3R00

Hey, y’all!

I’m curious about selling my LP collection and was hoping to get some advice on how not to get hosed/short-changed from anyone who has done that before.

I have everything cataloged on discogs and have a rough idea of what the individual items / whole collection are worth. Now, I’m wondering if it makes more sense to sell the whole thing outright to a store or collector OR if I should sell it all off, bit by bit, either through discogs or eBay.

I have around 900 records. Probably around 250 are old school jungle and the rest mostly range from classic rock to modern rock, but just about all of it is fairly collectible (ie: no dollar bin records).

Obviously, selling it off all at once is faster, but it might make more sense, as I don’t exactly see myself as opening an online shop. I’m not settled though.

Anyway, all thoughts / advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on how quickly you can sell some of them individually, if you have valuable records that will be snapped up immediately, then I'd start there, then offer some of the slower items as part of a collection at discount.

You would honestly be lucky to get someone to take the entire collection for even a quarter of its value, so I'd sell the most valuable individually, and then just sell the rest as a collection so the deficit isn't much.

Easier said than done with 900 records, though!

What NF said pretty much. Anyone looking to buy your whole collection is going to want a bulk discount. 

Sell the most valuable individually and then the rest as a collection. Individual items will get close to list price if they're desirable, more obscure items I'm not sure.

PS:

Any chance you'd PM me your discogs account so I can browse? Curious to see the scope of your collection.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived