IGNORED

Machinedrum User Appreciation

acidphakist

there is a large part of me that wants to sell my virus TI for one of these... I just don't know.

That would free up my nords for synth sounds.... but I still would want a bread and butter synth.

I've just had a fair share of bugs with the TI, which makes me frustrated enough to consider it... even though it does sound stupidly awesome.

i would trade a Virus TI for an MD in a heartbeat, but definitely play with one first to see if you really want to make the switch. I think you could get a decent bread and butter synth for a lot cheaper than a Virus TI if you still felt like you needed one in the studio

Absolutely brilliant machine. After a year of having it I bought the Monomachine. It's the best pairing in terms of gear I think I've ever come across. Can't wait for whatever Elektron have up their sleeve next.

everybody check out a few Futureimage albums at juno.com, some of the finest music i have ever heard using monomachines and machinedrums

Awwwww cheers man! :happy: Everyone should also check out Fluorescent Grey's Improvised Electronic Music series - pure brainfuckery at its best.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

so i've had some cash in the bank and couldn't stop myself from getting a UW+.

best impulse buy ever. appreciation. currently building an interface for controlling the transport & lamp of 8/16mm film projectors with it, having a blast.

also, need more cash because, want monomachine too.

yea been re-watching that pix video on youtube for years, :biggrin:

it's incredible how deeply bendable the sound of this thing is, and how much fun it is tweaking these knobs on the fly.

one thing which i haven't figured out yet control-wise and which throws me off..

you build some patterns with kits, tweak different patterns with different kits, switch off, then the next day, it sometimes seems to have altered your kits/patterns completely, to a pretty much unrecognizable state... probably i sometimes forget to save the kit in the end or something?

i've lost some potentially interesting material because of this already...

gotta go to the local music shoppe now and look at the mono machine for a bit :lol:

yea been re-watching that pix video on youtube for years, :biggrin:

it's incredible how deeply bendable the sound of this thing is, and how much fun it is tweaking these knobs on the fly.

one thing which i haven't figured out yet control-wise and which throws me off..

you build some patterns with kits, tweak different patterns with different kits, switch off, then the next day, it sometimes seems to have altered your kits/patterns completely, to a pretty much unrecognizable state... probably i sometimes forget to save the kit in the end or something?

i've lost some potentially interesting material because of this already...

gotta go to the local music shoppe now and look at the mono machine for a bit :lol:

this threw me too at first but from a performace poin of view its logical to keep the kit altered as such when changing to other patterns with the same kit, you just have to get into the habit of saving kits if you like what you've altered

monomachine is awsome, the UI isnt as immediate but it a little deeper sound wise than the MD

Guest kokeboka

Actress uses one of these. Does anyone know of a vst that does more or less what this does? I've been a bit disappointed with Battery, and I can't really afford to pull the trigger on a MD right now.

I picked up a cheap original sps-1 about 6 months ago... fucking love this thing. someday I'll upgrade to a uw mkii +drive, but the difference from what I paid for mine is about $1100 so I can't really justify that much money any time soon.

sounds so good though... so good!

I didnt get my head around my first machinedrum, I found it was too 'minimal techno' and much preferred the more immediate IDMz of the monomachine however these guys made me think other wise and getting deeper into the machine

made me realize its a keeper

http://www.percussio...s/ebertbrothers

I thought the UW add on wasn't that well implemented tho.

Edited by soundwave

very nice stuff, havent heard of those guys before

this is the band that inspired me to get a machinedrum - http://upsidedownumbrella.info/

it still has beats and some IDM vibes in it but it's one of the more abstract things i've heard besides recent AE utilizing a machinedrum for the percussion

the MD will sync as well as any other decent MIDI hardware (although the tempo delay can be glitchy using an external clock the same goes for the Mono) the big problem in this area is more the computer side of things i.e. if your running windows forget it but I have read on the Elektron forums that some dude got very solid results on Mac with a MOTU lite interface running logic. I don't know about Ableton other than the earlier versions were shit with external midi.

Edited by soundwave

Does it play well sequencing hardware over midi? I'm trying to figure out a route away from my laptop.

yeah its pretty rock solid however the Monomachine has the better featured external sequencer/arppegiator without sacrificing internal machines or parts

Absolutely brilliant machine. After a year of having it I bought the Monomachine. It's the best pairing in terms of gear I think I've ever come across. Can't wait for whatever Elektron have up their sleeve next.

everybody check out a few Futureimage albums at juno.com, some of the finest music i have ever heard using monomachines and machinedrums

Damn. No joke. You've got some sick stuff, futureimage.

This thread makes me wish I had money. :unsure: