IGNORED

The Black Dog's CS X51

chassis

Guest Phasers

Looks good, a bit expensive though

I wish someone would make a midi device with enough space to put masking tape under the knobs so it's possible to make a clear note what each knob is assigned to.

• 10 months later...

Looks well overpriced ($464 USD) for what it offers.

Alternatively you could get the UC-33e for about $100 second hand and it has more faders.

UC33e-xlarge.jpg

Or you could get the APC40 for $200 new (if u wait for amazon sale) which has more faders and push buttons (but less knobs)

apc40_web_angle_large.png

Or u could get the bitstream 3x which afx used on his remote orchestra (endorsement™) which has more faders and is of similar build quality, plus has tons of other features (that u probably don't need) for $400 USD.

cmebitstream_03_l.jpg

Or u could wait for Livid Instruments' DS1 (releasing Sep 2014) which to me looks like a much better alternative for $479 USD (bout the same price as the CS-X51). This offers more sliders, knobs, and looks of high build quality. (Still overpriced I reckon tho)

DS1_top_wlense_web_resized__59188.140595

Personally I'd go with the UC-33e as it offers a decent amount of faders + knobs and is cheap as chups. If ur an ableton user and like launching clips in session mode then I'd go for the APC40. If i had more cash i'd get Livid's DS1. The CS-X51 would be at the bottom of my list.

Only six faders seems kind of... not that useful. Pads are kinda nice, but there are tons of other smaller things for that.

I think I'll stick to my UC-33e that I've been using for 10 years.

imagine a rotary knob that could snap to any number of steps with the power of electromagnets. does this exist?

Not sure if it exists but I think it could be done with a stepper motor.

Archived