IGNORED

Mike P's favourite albums

Chris Toffer

http://thequietus.com/articles/15098-mike-paradinas-u-ziq-heterotic-favourite-albums

Pretty funny.

A certain Richard D. James was at the same uni but on a different campus, and when a mutual friend passed on a tape of Paradinas's first solo compositions, RDJ was quick to sign him to his Rephlex label. For a self-confessed Aphex obsessive, Paradinas was understandably delighted. "I had a little wank," he chuckles.

that's funny....I think it's better now. People not hanging out with each other because their musical choices don't mesh exactly. There's overlap with my friends but I find my musical preference really doesn't necessarily work out with who I get along with...
Whenever I hear older people talk about how music "used to be" it sounds very cliquey and juvenile hahah

"For a self-confessed Aphex obsessive, Paradinas was understandably delighted. "I had a little wank," he chuckles."

:mu-ziq:

and again...

"Richard rang up like a day later saying, "Oh do you want to put out an album?" So I was like, "Oh yeah, sure." Yeah, well because I was obsessed with him, it was pretty amazing. I had a little wank."

Remind me never to shake hands with this man.

:lol:

Guest Black Calx

Meeting Tom and Mark was amazing. They played me all the unreleased Aphex stuff that would have become Surfing On Sine Waves and Select Ambient Works 85-92 and loads of other stuff that never got released. There's fucking loads of it. I mean, Aphex was quite a big thing quite quickly once 'Analogue Bubblebath' came out – in our uni anyway.

;D

that's funny....I think it's better now. People not hanging out with each other because their musical choices don't mesh exactly. There's overlap with my friends but I find my musical preference really doesn't necessarily work out with who I get along with...

Whenever I hear older people talk about how music "used to be" it sounds very cliquey and juvenile hahah

Yeah it's funny how he thinks that kids these days aren't as into music. I thought only old and clueless people thought that. I mean the people that were his current age back when he was in his 'heyday' were probably saying the same thing, "Oh it's not like the sixties, those were the days, people really cared about music." When all that was happening was that these older people weren't in the groups that were going to the parties and knew the scene/s, scenes that whilst probably well populated and diverse, were then and still now, represent a small chunk of the overall population, even amongst the kids. Maybe he's right though, who knows maybe the world is currently populated with zombies and all those genes that spawned a natural curiosity for music have been switched off due to too much fructose intake and over exposure to mobile phone microwave transmitters. Perhaps also it's just that the grand structures of music have finally been built, i mean even drum and bass intros has been extended out into a genre now, we're just riding on the fumes of artifice. Whatever is going on or not, I'm just not in a position to assess what's really happening given that all i do is just sit at home and type things onto the tv from my couch as a form of actually doing stuff avoidance therapy.

Great read! Thanks, Mike.

I was obsessed with those Beatles compilations too. My parents had them and I think I kept looking at the before/after picture more than listen to them.

• 4 weeks later...

From page 4 of the article Mike P states:

I wanted to be Adam Ant and dress up like him and I would... I couldn't dress up like him but I would draw his jacket on paper and put the paper on myself.

This one's for you Mike P-- keep living the dream:

watmm_mike-ant.jpg

• 2 months later...

My respect for Mike P has skyrocketed after reading that. Nice to know that he grew up listening up to normal music with a few guilty pleasures thrown in, he could have easily bullshitted and retconned his choices to include, I dunno, Can, Kraftwerk, Stockhausen or whatever.

Archived