IGNORED

Elektron Analog Rytm vs DSI Tempest

Guest The Bro

Stay out of gear threads if you have no experience. You cannot do everything in ableton. Every piece of gear, software etc has it's own timbre, that's why there is so much about.

Ableton is no doubt amazing and extremely powerful but you do not fully understand that there is so much more out there to experience.

being all nice in chat while you in here throwin shade...smh

production wise i am happy with ableton.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this before I came into chat earlier.

I'm sure you are happy with producing in ableton, thousands are, it's a great DAW. But what irked me is that you revived an old thread just to say that two machines that you have no idea about are either pointless or equal to each other and less than a DAW.

Why? what goes through your head where you feel like you know more than these other people to say that they are wasting their time with gear and should do it your way because you know best. Your assumption on how all things made for music work is insanely naive and silly.

or just a bunch of cool people who know how to make music getting a lecture from someone who doesn't who made a thread on watmm bragging about their involvement/career in the hydraulic fracking industry (not joking)

Guest Chesney

Reading a manual does not mean you know alot about something.

For the record, I like your music Shea, I have been vocal about that in the past and I don't care how you made it either. If you recorded yourself taking a shit into the in built macbook mic and turned it into an ambient soundscape tune in ableton and it sounds good? That's all good, i'm stoked on that. It does not matter to me whether you use 1 thing or a million bits of rare gear. The result is the important thing.

Just quit your knowitall bullshit until you have experienced enough to have a valid opinion, that's my only problem. It's far too transparent that you do not know what you claim and makes you look a little silly.

No one needs to impress anyone else on here, they just need to be themselves.

lets not ruin a thread anyway.

The rytm and the tempest are amazing machines. I have tried the rytm and didn't like the navigation as opposed to the MD/A4 and I have not tried the tempest. I have tried many DSI pieces and ended up selling them due to their raw sound. they did not work for me.

*opinions etc*

you're the one who made this thread about me.

i think most people say the tempest "sounds weak" because they don't realize that you have to layer kicks. it's pretty funny that people think 1 kick drum is all you need.

Guest Chesney

Hmmm, why would you need to layer kicks? One usually does fine. Layering can cause phasing and cancellation if in the same space

Rytm wins over this tempest. This is from someone who has tried both for multiple hours. Just an opinion, of course.

The tempest is cool and maybe I needed to spend more time with it, but I found that the Rytm fit in with my idea of drum machine workflow much better... oh yeah, and being able to load samples in the Rytm and run them through its analog distortion and compressor.

you're the one who made this thread about me.

i think most people say the tempest "sounds weak" because they don't realize that you have to layer kicks. it's pretty funny that people think 1 kick drum is all you need.

I actually didn't even pay any attention to what you're saying about the Tempest, but speaking as someone who has now used both what you're saying is 100% absolute bullshit. The tempest has weak kick drums, simple as that. You should not have to layer kick drums to make it sound adequate, you don't have to do this with an A4, a RYTM, an Elektron Machine drum, or a Nord Drum or virtually any old analog drum machine in existence.

I owned a Tempest for a year and gave up on it due to the unreliable nature of firmware updates, poor Midi spec, and "flappy" sounding bass. I kind of missed it as its a really rich sounding polyphonic synth groovebox, but its not a very good sounding drum machine imo. Its live performance features are very nice.

Picked up an A4 and got hooked on the sound and sequencing. Sold the tempest and picked up a RYTM, its really no contest to me. You can get absolutely insane sounds out of the RYTM due to the plock system and the way it handles sample makes for some mental sounding material when you resample things into the computer and cut them up to be used in the box. I feel like this combo, especially with the CV out capability of the A4 allowing you to add in a little modular madness, is just unbeatable in hardware nowadays. Especially with Overbridge opening up multitracking and greatly simplifying sample management, sound creation, and kit creation.

i guess some people get hardware wanting it to already sound really good.

new goal: buy a tempest and achieve a level of mastery that no one here believes is possible. final step in the plan is get featured on RT.

saw this one recently, starts out real nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuGYJtJ5spM

this is one of the better vids, but i do hear a lot of tempest vids with drums that tend towards cheese. i wish i could try one out. it just seems to have a great lay out to me.

karenn on the tempest:

It's kind of the reason why we keep the Tempest as a base structure, because as a live drum machine it's amazing. I would suggest to anyone who's got the money to buy one—immediately go and buy one—because it'll change everything for your setup.

I do expect things that I spend 1500+ dollars on to sound good to me... especially when it comes to a something as bread-and-butter as a kick drum. I didn't mess around with the tempest for more than 12 hours in total, but it didn't scratch my itch the way the rytm does in this comparison. Not commenting on the kicks, but if the man said they were weak and many others have, I'm inclined to believe them a little. I love DSI gear and have owned 2 of their lovely poly's, but I feel like they missed the mark on the tempest with the midi implementation and format of their machine. Just IMO. Srsly.

what about the tempest's workflow did you not like? i've heard disparate things. some people say it's the best workflow ever.

I learned how to use step sequencers like Elektron's/electribe/Jx-3p/ format of the 16 step sequencer buttons being right there. It's not that I don't like the DSI tempest, but that I liked the Rytm more for how I make music and compose rhythms... some people think an MC-4 is a good way to sequence all your hardware, I'd go insane trying to work on it and get used to that workflow of typing in corresponding number values for what I want musically. Doesn't mean it's bad, but I'd probably prefer something else. Different strokes for different folks

Not much beats an Elektron sequencer.

Pretty much this.

Archived