IGNORED

Quick and dirty Bassline Synth advice (VIBERT style)

so im doing a jungle set tomorrow and I'm kind of disappointed by how i'm literally only doing 3 bass patches for my entire set, a typical straight sine sub bass tone, a slightly pitch envelope, short decay sine wave sub bass tone and a fairly standard detuned saw tooth wave with some noise thrown in. Mostly using Operator in Live to do this for convenience/low CPU usage.

so basically i need to vary up my options but i need to do it fast. I'm on a mac and have an audionews.ru account (fyi) . If there is a particularly suitable plugin or an easy way to do the following type of bass sounds on Operator let me know

both of these sound like either a sine with some kind of variable distortion or a sine that turns into a squarewave (?)

@1:29

he did this bass sound a lot on Plug and i still can't figure out what it is unless its just a sub bass with a different patch stacked on top, i guess a lot of this could just be 2 synths working together to give the illusion its the same sound. im just looking for really quick results because i have little time, sorry to be lazy

interesting sound, not so easy to reproduce as it first sounds. here are my two cents : after giving it a try I also think it's a sine wave running into some distortion. that's the closest I could get in Renoise, using the native distortion plug in "shape" mode. After rendering the waveform looks like a square wave with smooth round edges. I also found it sounds better if the disto drive follows the envelope.

I think you're on the right track with the FM and starting with a sub-bass type patch. I don't think it's a straight sine wave, though, there's other harmonics in there but they're pretty subtle. I'll bet with less distortion it would sound a lot like the sub bass in here:

Also that 3rd one sounds like the same or a similar patch but with an additional filter on it and maybe another post-filter distortion.

Low pass filter a square wave, add some distortion to get some harmonics, add a MaxxBass or what have you and fool around with the envelope. In the Play track the bass is definitely run through an LFO to Cutoff... could also be that the cutoff has handled manually...

Should be fairly easy to replicate on an MS20

The first two are a distorted 808 bass thrown into a sampler.

As for the third track, set up the distorted 808 on two channels. Filter out the top end on one channel, no other effects, then filter out the low end on the other channel, leaving the top. Add another filter (LP) to the second channel and and have an lfo slowly modulate cutoff. Turn the resonance up a bit, too. Now add a flanger type effect to the second channel and keep it at a low rate.

3rd track sounds like a sample of a distorted squarewave, with a lowpass filter on it being tweaked, doubled with a sine/sub bass. Probably all roland S760 here.

yes totally. I for some reason forgot that sampling 808 bass was a pretty key aspect to a lot of the good jungle basslines. After playing around with the technique i feel a lot more comfortable with my basslines.

thanks for all the help guys. , i didn't have time to try this stuff out before the gig but planning to put out at least an EP of jungle stuff an will give all this a try

Guest skibby

i'd say Squee is probably bang on with the LPF square. But I'd try a saw wave just to be hornery and annoy myself.

and use glide/porta/legato to get the 'bwoops' in play

great trax

yes totally. I for some reason forgot that sampling 808 bass was a pretty key aspect to a lot of the good jungle basslines. After playing around with the technique i feel a lot more comfortable with my basslines.

thanks for all the help guys. , i didn't have time to try this stuff out before the gig but planning to put out at least an EP of jungle stuff an will give all this a try

Let me know If you need any samples for jungle tunes as I've got a lot. Not like that Blu Mar Ten pack which just samples old jungle tunes, either.

yeah id like to see what you have, As far as breaks go i'm pretty covered, i have a decent classic break (uneffected/unmodified) pack thats been floating around the net for some time.

Archived