IGNORED

Dartz tracks

Lucas

Hi,

I started a new series of tracks several months ago, coming back to Renoise (and Reaper) after taking a break from software. Very good to switch setups as it helps you to focus on different kind of things at a time and eventually brings up some fresh ideas. So here is the recent state of affairs for me :

- Just finished the following track in that Renoise/Reaper setup. Those "Dartz" tracks are pretty break intensive, which makes them representing a kind of return to what I made musically in the first place but it really does feel smoother and more mastered now (at least for me when I make them). I'm pretty happy with this fourth one and I'd be glad to hear what you guys think about it! The beginning is kind of wacky and I would elaborate it a bit if I had the chance to publish the track in due form.

[sc5]219614055[/sc5]

the other Dartz tracks : Dartz 1 / Dartz 3

- I'm preparing a full-hardware live set which will start ambient and then go more acid / breaky, generally a bit more dancefloor oriented than the stuff I usually do (or say, show). I'm pretty excited about it and can't wait to find a first gig!

- You might have noticed that I changed my alias on Soundcloud. Antape always sounded a bit awkward to me but it's hard to let it go because I became used to it. Dartzfurlbakz is a more personal made up word I started to use a long time a go. I feel it's the right time to use it for my music, before I start playing in front of people.

okey, I'll post the next software tracks here and keep the hardware thread for the hardware tracks

hope you enjoy!

Dartz4 is a great track. acid syncopated bassline with dynamically shifting breaks on point. I have a weakness for sleigh bells as well and they are here in fine form!

Melody evolves nicely with slightly detuned drones bubbling up. This is solid, continue ploughing this compositional furrow and see where it takes you.

To an English speaker 'Dartzfurlbakz' seems a much more awkward name than Antape, but it may well have a personal depth.

Hey, thank you for your feedback. Glad you like Dartz4. I also love the sound of sleigh bells but every time I use it I'm concerned it sounds too afx (I love how he uses this sound).

Also nice to read your opinion concerning the aliases. Dartzfurlbakz is definitely an awkward word (no matter the language I guess) but that was the point. Antape sounds more english (isn't it composed of two english words?) and I was actually concerned about that, about the fact it came up in a too arbitrary way, and also that English speakers could think it's referring to cassette tape. With dartz I feel more home and maybe people could associate it to my music eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

i listened to 4 and 1, and while it's obvious your mastery, i feel something weird with your beats, sounds like to me, although they're pretty dense in rhythm composition, it sounds like a really fat loop screwed over with dsp... what i mean is, i can't really tell the snares and claps and kicks apart from each other, well i can but, seems like there's probably some heavy compression smashing all together i dunno, maybe you didn't even use compression... it's too stressed, the beat, and i don't mean composition wise, i mean sonically if that makes any sense... overall seems like every beat sample doesn't have space for itself but hey, maybe that's the sound you're after :)

really liked the melodic vibes on 1 :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Actually hadn't see this thread, dayum I really like Dartz4. I don't think the beginning is wacky at all. Something that's funny is that those new tracks sound more hardware than your actual hardware stuff. Shows analogue doesn't mean shit really ha.

i listened to 4 and 1, and while it's obvious your mastery, i feel something weird with your beats, sounds like to me, although they're pretty dense in rhythm composition, it sounds like a really fat loop screwed over with dsp... what i mean is, i can't really tell the snares and claps and kicks apart from each other, well i can but, seems like there's probably some heavy compression smashing all together i dunno, maybe you didn't even use compression... it's too stressed, the beat, and i don't mean composition wise, i mean sonically if that makes any sense... overall seems like every beat sample doesn't have space for itself but hey, maybe that's the sound you're after :)

really liked the melodic vibes on 1 :thumbsup:

thanks for your honest feedback, I've never been told that. I'm not sure what you mean 100% but if I get it well you feel the different rhythmic elements have too similar dynamics, which kind of make them sound the same. I might understand what you mean if we're talking about Dartz1 because its beat is based mainly on one break which I quite heavily processed (the one starting the song). The beat has a bunch of other elements but I might have been too severe on the drum buss compression or something. Overall I'm not really satisfied with the mixing of Dartz1, if I remember well I did it quite quickly because I wanted to start working on something else.

Dartz4 is different, I think it has more beat sounds as Dartz1 but also involves less processing, I left the sounds as is more. I'll improve the mix at some point, I think the first thing I should do there is to polish the three different breaks, to make them sound clearer / snappier.

Anyway when I'm at this stage of making a track I generally don't want to care too much about polishing because I don't have the energy for it anymore, I'd better make a demo version for soundcloud and then wait for an opportunity to release it for working back on it and make everything sound better.

@ Perezvon: glad you liked. well when I classified those tracks on soundcloud I meant to separate the tracks sequenced with Reaper/Renoise from those sequenced on the MPC500, where the computer is just there for recording. But those three Dartz tracks involve some hardware. For Dartz4 the FM bass is TX81Z, the lead melodies are Novation Bass Station 2 (which is more or less the only analogue synth I own) and some background pads and noises are the voice of my brother (which is also analogue!).

thanks for feedback guyzs

I guess this thread will sleep a bit because I'm working on a live set intensively at the moment and also on several other "hardware" tracks! :-)

some nice glitchyness in above track, I like that fat bassfart sound in the beginning, felt the main synth melody is a bit too loud compared to the breaks, would maybe be nice to change its timbre somewhat over time & track duration could be a minute shorter, but taste yadayada. Good stuff antape, I mean Dartz :)

some nice glitchyness in above track, I like that fat bassfart sound in the beginning, felt the main synth melody is a bit too loud compared to the breaks, would maybe be nice to change its timbre somewhat over time & track duration could be a minute shorter, but taste yadayada. Good stuff antape, I mean Dartz :)

I agree about that lead melody being a tad too prominent, I'll fix that in a future version. Having it evolving through time (I guess you mean cutoff manipulation or something) is something I decided not to do for this track because I kind of always do it with the substractive synths I use and this time I wanted to use movement on other parts. I might also do something to the end if I have more ideas, I like where it goes but I keep thinking it could be something more (maybe). In case that's what you meant with the 1min too long.. Apart from that I wouldn't take any minute in any other part of the song (actually I could develop the intro part a bit I think). thanks for your feedback!

Love the analog sound, great tone to the drums and the funky bassline melody is wonderful, such great glitchy rhythms, very Rephlex records, a bit Like-A-Tim-ish, maybe some Yee-King thrown in there, awesome melodies!

thanks! I didn't know Like-A-Tim and Yee-King so will check out!

enjoying these...got any renames files you wanna share?

not sure what you mean with "renames files"? Always glad to share music though so I'll do if you help me understand, pardon my ignorance!

Ur stuff is wicked, not sure if it's part of this series but Farfade is especially lush.

Farfade is 100% hardware so I posted it in this other thread. Glad you like it! To be honest I almost deleted it from soundcloud because I want to modify some stuff in it, notably this pitch bent acid line whose sound doesn't satisfy me completely. I thought it was too resonant, a bit annoying on the long run and I wanted to find a more decent and bassy tone for it (actually started founding something a couple of days ago). Also I might remove it from the second part of the track, which I imagine could benefit from breathing a bit more. let's see what I end up finding. I'll probably include the track in my live set when I'm really happy with it.

***You do not have permission to edit this topic***

Saumon track got some great rhythm going on with the synths.

Thanks. This track's beat consists mainly in 3 break loops and 2/3 rhythmic synth loop sampled from my BS2 ; I was pretty happy when I found out that changing the loop start of one those, making it start/end at another time of the bar, completely changed the feel of the whole rhythmic part. That's what happens at 2:25.

----

thanks guys for the feedback

okey it definitely makes more sense now!

here you go: Dartz Renames Files

I have to say though, those files alone are not extremely relevant because they're suppose to load through a Reaper session where most of the synths are programmed/recorded (and also where most of the mixing action happens but that's not a big deal). Which also means you have to reroute the output of every track to the Renoise master.

But if you just intend to take a look into the drum programming I guess it's ok. If you intend to do something else thanks to tell me about it (for example using some samples, unless they're obviously coming from the internet - like for breaks and single drum hits)

• 4 months later...

a new little track from me to you:

[sc5]246092144[/sc5]

pretty happy how the breaks turned out :-)

so far I'm thinking about it as the opener of a little EP with five of the Dartz tracks. have to finish stuff, polish and go hunt a label

yoyo, sup? neat beats man at 1:08 :thumbsup: those hi-hats dude, and those tambourines/shakers, those are triplets right? lol or simply swing? i love this rhythm, but i can't quite understand what's happening, sounds like not so fast triplets... i'm only asking for the hh ad tambourines but i know the entire rhythm will be set to it, or maybe not and that's what makes it so goddamn alive...

yoyo, sup? neat beats man at 1:08 :thumbsup: those hi-hats dude, and those tambourines/shakers, those are triplets right? lol or simply swing? i love this rhythm, but i can't quite understand what's happening, sounds like not so fast triplets... i'm only asking for the hh ad tambourines but i know the entire rhythm will be set to it, or maybe not and that's what makes it so goddamn alive...

hey yo I'm good thanks :) this shaker sound is simply swing (can't access the Renoise file now - although it's in the "Renames files" upload I posted above - but i guess I put different swing values on the odd times of the grid, or something). not sure which hhat you're talking about but I use two breaks so it could be one of those too (although the hhat sound of the breaks is not so present on the fast part). Glad you like anyway, keep in touch etc... (listened to some of your links yesterday and came accidentally across a great band named Ifang Bondi, sounded great!)

hey thanks for the renoise files, i'm not familiar with trackers but i was able to open them and play some of your beats, neat!

about the swing or triplets, i wasn't able to find it out... if you have time, check this i wrote, see if you can understand what confusion am i making ok? thanks in advance!

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/89869-track-i-made-using-no-midi-only-audio-samples-and-sequenced-in-audacity/?do=findComment&comment=2418443

thanks again man :thumbsup:

Archived