IGNORED

WATMM Monthly Remix Competition -> Revived

zazen

From November 2007 to February 2008, a WATMM Monthly Remix Competition was looking like it was on the cards. After much anticipation, the site failed to materialise and it spluttered to a halt (see this thread for the details).

However, the first remix subject was chosen - 'Walking on the Moon' by The Police - so some people got on with it.

I'm going to try and get this project going again.

We can (and did) endlessly discuss the rules and how this could work. But for now I think we should start small, and keep it simple.

Simple Rules:

- its a remix competition

- we're taking remix in the very broadest sense of the word

- voting will be anonymous

- we can do it with threads and polls and PMs, for now. If it gets big, we'll build a site later

- winner of each round gets to choose the source track for the next round

- rounds will take 4 weeks for submitting, then 1 or 2 weeks for voting

Here's whats I hope is going to happen for the next two weeks:

- the first round has already been done, so I'm going to gather the 'Walking on the moon' remixes, anonymise them, and post them here.

- in one weeks time - when everyone's had a chance to see this thread, find their remix from December and PM it to me - I will post a Poll, and that will run for a week.

- after a week of polling, a winner will be announced, and they choose the next track and then we get going with round two

I hope we can make this work, people were very excited about this, and quite a few people were busily remixing back in December.

Why am I doing this? I have some spare time, I'd like to see more projects coming out of EKT, I didn't enter a remix so I'm impartial, and I just read all 14 mind numbing pages of the original thread. Twice.

I already have four entries from various people, please PM a link or attachment to me if you did a 'Walking on the Moon' remix earlier this year. Alternatively you can email them to mail@koanotic.org if you like.

Deadline for re-submissions: 23:00 GMT Thursday 7th August (about 1 week from now)

how did you remix it without the separate tracks?

some people happily remix in that way.

making a cover is an option otherwise.

indeed, getting a sample pack for a remix is for fucking apes

indeed, getting a sample pack for a remix is for fucking apes

:rolleyes:

I really hope we can avoid getting into this debate again (see pinned thread for the last time)

I think its fair to say that remixing from sample packs/separate tracks has its merits, but so does remixing from a mastered song - particularly because for any arbitrarily chosen song, a sample pack/separate tracks will be hard to obtain.

the winner of round one gets to choose the source song for round two, so it will be up to them whether they choose a song that is readily available as a sample pack/separate tracks or not.

Guest awkward

boring

i guess its a challenge but it needs a different name. remixing from the original file is not how remixing works.

i guess its a challenge but it needs a different name. remixing from the original file is not how remixing works.

oh christ please dont start this. just because you cant isolate sounds in a song doesnt mean more talented people cant, go remix radiohead or something

Guest analogue wings
boring

anal

Here's a question for everybody:

When I put the poll up on Thursday for everyone to vote, should it be:

- one choice only (i.e. vote for your favorite track)

- multiple choice (i.e. vote for one or more of your favorite tracks)

I'm wondering if the multiple choice poll might lead to more interesting results.

Guest blicero
Here's a question for everybody:

When I put the poll up on Thursday for everyone to vote, should it be:

- one choice only (i.e. vote for your favorite track)

- multiple choice (i.e. vote for one or more of your favorite tracks)

I'm wondering if the multiple choice poll might lead to more interesting results.

one choice. that way you really have to pick your favorite, not just vote for all your friends.

also, i must say that i really don't think that a thread with a poll is gonna work so well.

definetely one choice, and it will work well enough for now i would have a thought. nobody is gonna sign up hundreds of dupes to ensure they win a watmm remix competition, and if they do, then who really loses anyway.

Guest David R James
one choice, yes.

Sorry but can we still enter this by thursday? I wasnt part of the first crew

I've still got time to, but i'm not sure there's a point me submitting because my remix isn't all that and i don't think i want to pick the next track anyway.

the tracks and poll should be up within an hour of now

the poll will run for 1 week, until about this time on Thursday 14th

then the winner is announced and has a bit of time to think about the next track

then round 2 will start on Friday 15th probably

Archived