IGNORED

WATMM Monthly Remix Competition

Joyrex

As suggested by DaveMike, the idea is to have a monthly remix competition, and the winner would get a prize (say some cash PayPaled to them, or a gift credit card, or something, I dunno) after everyone voted on the submissions. Or, perhaps make it like a pot, and everyone who enters puts in 2USD or something and depending on the number of entries, it could get interesting money-wise (and would certainly encourage others to enter for a chance at the pot).

Thing is, what should the subject of each monthly remix be? Should I just pick a song I like, or should we put it to a vote, or what?

Let's hear your suggestions/ideas/comments, and we'll go from there. Let's give it a week for ideas, and then go forward from whatever is agreed upon.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good! I think we should have a poll of tracks put forward by participants that the whole of WATMM can vote in - there'd be too much indecision and bickering if it was chosen just amoungst the remixers.

I also reckon it'de be pretty cool if we remixed electronic music CLASSIX and the like - some of the better/better known tracks from the big 5.

The only problem I see with that is getting good source material. It usually sucks to sample off of the track itself. I was hoping for more "sample pack" style matchups but oh well. Ive been writing more boring ambient that nobody listens to in EKT lately so I'm sure I could churn anything through Paulstretch and slap the Dotcom on top anyway. I'm game for whatever!

i think this is a groovy idea... especially since akanda.co.uk has seemingly been abandoned by its creators and left to rot.

soulseek used to have great monthly music making endeavours... not just remix compos, but things where people could only use the samples in a zip file and nothing else, or thematic stuff..

so i might be getting ahead of myself and everyone, but i like the idea.

i'd also like to suggest that we make entries ANONYMOUS. i've been in SO many forum-based compilations and competitions that end up being tilted in favour of the well-known forumites (and understandably so). i feel like anonymity kinda levels the playing field and lets things be judged on merit and not so much on popularity (in contrast to, say, the US government.) of course this is coming from me, who is virtually unknown. i who am virtually unknown? one of those.

just some thoughts. sounds cool.

c

i think this is a groovy idea... especially since akanda.co.uk has seemingly been abandoned by its creators and left to rot.

soulseek used to have great monthly music making endeavours... not just remix compos, but things where people could only use the samples in a zip file and nothing else, or thematic stuff..

so i might be getting ahead of myself and everyone, but i like the idea.

i'd also like to suggest that we make entries ANONYMOUS. i've been in SO many forum-based compilations and competitions that end up being tilted in favour of the well-known forumites (and understandably so). i feel like anonymity kinda levels the playing field and lets things be judged on merit and not so much on popularity (in contrast to, say, the US government.) of course this is coming from me, who is virtually unknown. i who am virtually unknown? one of those.

just some thoughts. sounds cool.

c

That's actually a good point - anyone else agree on the anonymity issue?

Guest Adjective

anonymity during voting is best.

credit for the winner though right?

i think you'd need to figure out how to automate a lot of it though, i imagine whoever gets in charge of this could be burned out after a few.

Guest blicero

was this inspired by another post, i wonder?...? ;)

i am for anonymity but against cash prize.

jr, if you want any help with this let me know, i'd be happy to code for the cause.

I'd prefer cash so I could pay the rent.

you're not going to make enough to pay the rent dude, besides this is for fun

perhaps we should all vote on all the aspects of the remix comp

i don't like remixing using the whole original track as the source. that's not really even remixing.

remixes are done using either mix tracks from a track and/or loops/sections and/or individual sounds.

which probably don't even exist for most electronic music classix, even if you could obtain them.

Maybe people could give up their own tracks for remixing. Like we just start with a volunteer and from then on the winner gives up a track to be remixed in the next competition. Or for that soulseek sampling series that maus mentioned, they had the same structure except with "sample packs" which may or may not have been derived from actual tracks. Part of the fun in that, for me anyways, was putting together a sample pack I thought would be hard to utilize and see how it all came together.

Cash doesn't really motivate me, a 1 dollar entry fee is way more demotivating than a 40 dollar prize.

Anonymity seems like the best way to go about so as to avoid lazy people just voting for saint aleczandah because everyone loves that guy.

But yeah I am very much down for this project.

Archived