IGNORED

innovative creative ideas

YEK

i'm first.. i'll say a song that is only whistling samples

also, something i've never done cause i dont write drill nor really know how to, a drill track that uses bird samples, like a new digeridoo track

people post there half stoned ideas in this thread and if you're lucky an ekt'r might try them out

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Glass Plate

Music with Birds was done in like 1930's (this date is very wrong, but the point is it was done ages ago) already. There are huge conventions for people who are professional whistlers so it's a very common form of instrumentation thus not creative or innovative what so ever. Sorry, fail.

Guest JohnTqs
Music with Birds was done in like 1930's (this date is very wrong, but the point is it was done ages ago) already. There are huge conventions for people who are professional whistlers so it's a very common form of instrumentation thus not creative or innovative what so ever. Sorry, fail.

don't you fucking hate that? i have so many ideas that have already been thought, it's very annoying.

I've been stealing midi versions of classical music and ripping out portions of instrument tracks and sending the midi to synths.

also.

I've had an idea to build a ep from 4 sets of 4 interchangable tracks. Bass, drums, lead, atmos. ect.

so you get something like this

AAAA

BBBB

CCCC

DDDD

ABAA

BCBB

CDCC

DADD

on and on. There are a lot of variations.

got the idea from this african religion called Yoruba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_religion

basically they believe that the soul is composed of various layers that stem from your ancestors and interact to form your personality.

Guest greenbank

i can't remember the last time i heard a fully novel idea in music but innovation comes from little steps of difference and making music that falls between other music, applying ideas from different genres to the ones you work in.

and on the subject of birdsong in tunes - i've not done a 'drill' track but i do occasionally resume the long-running work on a suite of tracks with the main objective of having 4 different ways of using birdsong:

1. the melodies of the song follow the birdsongs tune (almost complete, unhappy with the production, the tune works fine. it's skylark and 303 mostly)

2. cut up birdsong and create a new tune (done)

3. use no birdsong samples but use the melody from them, edited as appropriate (some basic parts completed)

4. fully synthesised birdsong (large part done but complete re-write and use of multiple other synthesisers pending)

5. all of the above! (sort of done, it got good enough that i was happy with it and is on my myspace as 'warbler' but doesn't actually have any bird samples in it yet).

it doesn't sound how you might expect of course as there are a zillion ways to do those things. the tracks unfortunately will also all sound very different in style when i'm done as the trio of pretty-much-finished ones are totally different already.

uhh, sorry for going on at length, boring really! also rubbish for me not having listenable samples of more - i did have the track for no. 1 'the walk home' on my myspace but took it off to fit other stuff in.

birdsong is an underused resource really, i recommend having a listen to some really melodic ones slowed down, there are loads of ace tiny little melodies in there. and skylarks have an ace rezzy warble that totally sounds like a 303 styled monosynth!

Guest hahathhat
i can't remember the last time i heard a fully novel idea in music but innovation comes from little steps of difference and making music that falls between other music, applying ideas from different genres to the ones you work in.

and on the subject of birdsong in tunes - i've not done a 'drill' track but i do occasionally resume the long-running work on a suite of tracks with the main objective of having 4 different ways of using birdsong:

1. the melodies of the song follow the birdsongs tune (almost complete, unhappy with the production, the tune works fine. it's skylark and 303 mostly)

2. cut up birdsong and create a new tune (done)

3. use no birdsong samples but use the melody from them, edited as appropriate (some basic parts completed)

4. fully synthesised birdsong (large part done but complete re-write and use of multiple other synthesisers pending)

5. all of the above! (sort of done, it got good enough that i was happy with it and is on my myspace as 'warbler' but doesn't actually have any bird samples in it yet).

it doesn't sound how you might expect of course as there are a zillion ways to do those things. the tracks unfortunately will also all sound very different in style when i'm done as the trio of pretty-much-finished ones are totally different already.

uhh, sorry for going on at length, boring really! also rubbish for me not having listenable samples of more - i did have the track for no. 1 'the walk home' on my myspace but took it off to fit other stuff in.

birdsong is an underused resource really, i recommend having a listen to some really melodic ones slowed down, there are loads of ace tiny little melodies in there. and skylarks have an ace rezzy warble that totally sounds like a 303 styled monosynth!

i can't tell if you're serious or not, but i got a laugh if you weren't and i'm delighted if you are.

Guest greenbank
i can't tell if you're serious or not, but i got a laugh if you weren't and i'm delighted if you are.

well, put your party hat on and be delighted. i'm pleased to provide delightment/amusement with my can't-sleep-4am ramblings.

[edit] and what squee said. apart from the first one - i don't delete because there's always something there that's worth having for another tune be it samples, patterns or patches.

nice, that's cool that you are doing that

along with that whistling thing i remember someone on this forum posted their myspace and the songs were completely constructed with only using their voice.

Guest greenbank
I made a sweet-ass bird patch for the SH101:

LFORATE:5.5/LFOWAVE:RANDOM/MOD:0/RANGE:16'/ALL OSCS: 0/FREQ:6/RES:9/ENV:5/MOD:5/KEYB:5/ENV/A:0/D:5/S:0/R:5

route through reverb

that's pretty good, good effort for random lfo - i prefer sample and hold if available. you can hand program notes with slides/glide which can work ok too for some synths.

also if anyone here hasn't heard the fantastic 'birdwatch' album by vulva that has loads of warbly bird sounding patches on. as well as lots of fanny jokes. sadly my turntable is borked so can't listen to any except the one on the rephlex compilation.

A while ago I wanted to remake Mozart's Requiem with only whistling... This idea is years old, and will probably never come to fruition...

All other innovative ideas, like someone mentioned here, I wouldn't talk about until it's done. And either way every album I work on has some sort of idea, but I never like talking about them in a literal sense, I'd much rather the people listening to it come to their own sort of realization about it.

One idea I want to try is to make electronic music where you try to do as much of the sound design and manipulation manually or acoustically as is possible. For example you could start with sine, square, saw wave and white noise samples as your only source sounds and you have to manipulate those waves with a pencil tool if you want to create a different sound. If you want reverb, then you need to play the part through speakers into a large space and record it with microphones. If you want a click track, then you have to make it by banging two sticks together (it will then have human swing and subtle acceleration/deceleration and you won't be able to rely on a grid). Delays are created by having duplicate tracks spaced by short intervals. Compression can be created by varying the volumes of stacked hits in order to even out the total volume. Flanger and phaser effects can be created by moving the stereo tracks slightly around in relation to one another. Timestreatching can be created by slicing a sound up into miliseconds and copying a second version of each chunk to follow the first one. Etc, etc...

- Delete tracks you're stuck with

never! i've written a lot of dead end tracks - actually about 80% of my work remains unfinished. if i get stuck on a track, i leave it for a few weeks/months/years until i'm writing something similar that i can merge with it to make a better song. some of my songs have parts that are six years old.

i had an idea that i posted in the aphex twin subforum and since i'm not really making music anymore i'll share

i was listening to some of his tracks and they always have this feeling like they grip you and i thought he could possibly be doing that by twiddling with the eqs in real time. nothing drastic like but just subtlety like richie hawtin will do with a dj mix. if done a little bit you wouldn't know why the mix sounds so good but it would make it better i think

am i crazy? i dunno

so go try it and report back

I was just experimenting with that yesterday, subtly flaring the high range on certain notes where I wanted to emphasize their texture or sometimes to mimic the pitch. I think if you do it a lot it does enhance the organic feel of a track by adding an imperceptible variety to the timbre and the resultant music doesn't get as boring quite so quickly. Aphex may do it, he probably would have at some point but I don't think his genius can be narrowed down to one trick.

Why you no make music no more?

Archived