IGNORED

how does sawII work?

Guest DrHat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD
Syn in the strict medical terminology has to be projected. So a guy who has letters/number=>colors syn really see coloured graphemes on the paper. It's very uncommon, i read somewhere it concerns arround 1 among 1000. And besides there is "popular" syneasthesia (arround 1/24) : perceptions arnt projected, but associated. I personally have those pop syns :

Graphemes=>color

Sound=>texture, color

I also have basic hallucinocis : i've always a visual noise (like in webcams, or other numeric visual devices) covering my vision. It's not so borring as it enables me to project music. Music shakes my "field of points" and it's pretty cool though I mostly see rythm( DOUBLE DRUKQS RULES). I think also there is a link between syn and hypnogogia (state of mind before sleeping). Who doesn't hear imaginary music, or see things just before falling asleep ?

=>I also experiment lucid dreaming (don't be jealous, I don't have so many lucid dreams). When I awake, I've a lot of hallucinations. In fact that's a totally projected sound=>color/texture/shape synaesthesia. It lasts arround 2 hours, then I come back slowly to my normal state.

Another day, i was in math, after two hours of sport : making sport makes the brain deliver endorphin, opiate related substance, well known for inducing hypnogogia. I was very tired, and i started to think to my girlfriend. And fuck ! i saw her(inner vision) like a plasma ball with supples appendages, just like a lava lamp in fact. The ball was coloured with a Red-Yellow-Orange-Pink-Golden dawn color. Then I thought to other girls i want to fuck with : each was in a particular substance, and colour. I call it Object little-a=>couloured substance syn as i get an erection just by picturing it.

So in my view, syn can be learned, as it's just a question of synapse links, and even controlled. I was nearly sleepin (that the key ! if you want to be a syn, then go to bed !), and i though to a triangle. I saw it in an inner space. Then I sloowly "awake", and my visual noise came to agglomerate around the shape, and i just projected it ! It also worked for square, pentagon, hexagon etc... and even for the sierpinsky triangle

That was off topic, let's go back to the subect.

That story of time representation about SAWII reminds me there is a very common synaesthesia about time. You can see coloured monthes (i do), or set days of the week on a line(i did when child), or monthes of the year on a circle (I do) etc...

I've found that SAW2 evokes the most of my somewhat limited synaesthesia which apparently aphex also has, though he probably "suffers" from it more intensively. I get it from alot of music but aphex and particularly the saw2 album is like a 10 times more higher dose of it.

I presume it's due to the slowness, and repetitive characteristics of the album. Definitely, the secret is hypnogogia. you should try plastikman's sheet or Gescom's Minidisc

Don't feel that SAWII is the most accomplished work of RDJ. I prefer from afar Analords, they do really sound like painting to me, mostly oil but also watercolor (dry pastel for analord 158b). The texture is fabulous, and ryhtms sections are so like a nice travelling shot. But I've discovered last Luke's releases those last days, and by the almighty gods ! it's simply incredible. I've always prefered vibert's sound texture, though it was less refined thant rdj's phrasing. Benefist is so good, so thick and greasy and at the same time so aqueous and plasmatic. Generous as a 5kg golden pot of Nutella. Whereas it was done with analogic equipment, it sounds very different from analords. Those ones are hmm.. classics; painting, cinema. With Benefist ones you have the impression to be surrounded by coloured viscid balls bloping averywhere.

the visual noise thing seems spot-on. meditation is said to be putting the body to sleep while leaving the mind awake and alert. i should probably work more on remembering dreams and such; i know they're there, but i usually forget them.

after some random googlewalk, i found that "soto zen" participants often experience synaesthesia, but consider it a distraction! essentially, they sit there and stare at the wall... and stare... and stare. so, yeah, when you talk about it happening via visual noise, on the edge of being asleep, bored in math class after giving your body a workout... i thought of that soto zen thing. amusingly, the first thing i did for meditation was focus on those visual blips... i should get into that again.

on the scientific side, i agree with the sense that, if your aural and visual neurons start talking, you're going to see some sound.

the closest to visual/sound synaesthesia i've gotten is when i was just staring at the ceiling, listening to music, and some odd things started to happen. in fact, during meditation, i regularly see some pretty strange shit, just not synaesthetic shit! :rolleyes:

i'm probably trying too hard. you can't pressure a mind into relaxing.

and finally... rick james was the original suparclamp

Guest mushroom

I think it's the fact that it's two and a half hours long, yet it sticks to one mood and a repetitive structure, but not in a way that can be interpreted as laziness. It makes it seem otherworldly.

are you on the vodka again, hat.

no, bored, stone-cold sober.

honestly, i want some weed soooo badly. connections keep flaking out. everyone visualize a nice wad of headies materializing in dr. hat's tupperware container of fun. it has a green lid.

I think it's the fact that it's two and a half hours long, yet it sticks to one mood and a repetitive structure, but not in a way that can be interpreted as laziness. It makes it seem otherworldly.

it never gets boring. it's kinda like going... aaa, bbb, aba, bba, aab.... all a's and b's, repeated in 3's... kind of walking through all the potential elaborations.

Guest mushroom

there's not a single unserious sound in any of it, either. it's like each track is absolutely committed to creating this alien atmosphere.

good lord, brian.

i had blur on when i started that video. i expected it to be interrupted by something... and was quite confused when blur started to double up and echo.

Guest organizedconfusedproject

Test your syn !

the closest to visual/sound synaesthesia i've gotten is when i was just staring at the ceiling, listening to music, and some odd things started to happen. in fact, during meditation, i regularly see some pretty strange shit, just not synaesthetic shit!

know what you mean. There is two kind of visions(ChaMaN!) : Something you can't not really see, when you're on a daydream, and in other hand something like hallucinations on drugs, covering up the sight. True synesthetes shall have the second type. I guess it's overcrazy.

• 5 months later...

saw2 was the first afx album that i really deeply enjoyed and felt a connection with. when i first started listening to it, i found it relaxing and somewhat soothing, but after listening to it while under the influence of psychedelic drugs, there are large portions of the album that i kind of fear and wont listen to, even sober. this album has such a strong emotional drive, i think, its the only album that evokes such strong emotion from my subconscious. i was just reading the AE thread about which songs disturb you, and immediately thought of saw2

Guest hahathhat

when i first heard sawII i was like, man this shit is repetitive, i'm putting BOC back on.

a couple pounds of weed and tabs of blotter later i came around

Guest Caustic

Purple

Grey

Orange

Grey

Olive

Orange

Purple

Blue

Black

Grey

White

Black

Blue

White

Grey

Grey

Orange

Orange

Orange

Orange

Grey

Black

White

Red

Guest Laughable Butane Bob

I know this sounds stupid, but if I listen to SAWII I have to turn the speakers away from me to really enjoy it. It is way too high impact otherwise.

Why do you need drugs just to give SAWII a listen? I guess it can enhance the listening experience, but isn't this album good enough even when you're sober and free from drugs..?

Guest hahathhat

of course it is, i was only half-serious.

the serious part was - when i was younger and impatient, i didn't like it. when i was older and a little more thoughtful, i saw what i'd missed the first time around.

Guest Laughable Butane Bob
of course it is, i was only half-serious.

the serious part was - when i was younger and impatient, i didn't like it. when i was older and a little more thoughtful, i saw what i'd missed the first time around.

i saw too

God, visual static is pretty annoying. Seeing kaleidoscopic patterns and little white dots everywhere is cool for awhile, but it really just gets distracting. I find also, everything is constantly shifting in terms of perspective. Like when I look at certain things outside, they seem to be moving in and out of themselves. Note, these things only happen in certain mindsets.

As for SAWII, I find if I ever need to relax, Blue Calx puts me in complete bliss. And then if I want to brood like a mad scientist, I put on Tree.

generally you put the media on, and the sound waves hit your ear drumz at certain frequenciez causing them to rezonate and produce sounds in a pleasing combination.

Congratulations on your fine purchasing decision.

Archived