IGNORED

how does sawII work?

Guest DrHat

yeah saw2 is almost as analogue synth based as it gets, not just the actual sound of the synths but also the way they are used & tweaked is just very old- and analogue-skool. and whats this about computers being crap at reverbs? almost every reverb unit uses computers; all the lexicons, tc and kurzweil verbs all use dedicated dsp's, nothing analogue about it - all computers. if you're talking about vst's and stuff, well, they all use the same algorhytms that the dsp's in the hardware units use. ofcourse there are true analogue verbs & spring verbs (and what about real room verbs:)), but there isn't much of that on saw2.

its still a nice album, sure, but its not that great. some bits are really haunting, and some are plain beautiful & it's 'dated' sound makes me feel nostalgic but there have been so much other, similarily styled, but better albums released since saw2 came out, that i rarely play it these days..

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe you could be missing out on good, surprising new things if you're still (within the 'genre') exclusively listening to an album from 1994? i know, saw2 is a good album, but there was so much else released in those 12 years..!

it's only because i was never into that kind of music much. i just liked aphex's stuff, and listened to sawII eventually...

maybe you could be missing out on good, surprising new things if you're still (within the 'genre') exclusively listening to an album from 1994? i know, saw2 is a good album, but there was so much else released in those 12 years..!

like what for example? can you suggest sth in that genre?

Guest Maytag

To me, Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 is the probably the closest thing to natural magic caught on a recording device. It is a successful attempt at commincating with what are traditionally thought as "non-living" objects through an altered state of consciousness. In essence, it as if a mind meld was accomplished with EVERY named substance on the albums, and that communication is the recording. This is just my opinion but I believe it to be a valid one. It is a combination synesthesia and lucid dreaming. A thought experiment which escapes and surpasses ALL logical and terrestrial explanations really.

Guest AlexPallas

i highly recommend time machines by coil to anyone who likes this album best. ambient 1 by brian eno is really good too, but it doesn't have that 'magic' maytag explains saw2 has.

Why do people have to turn everything into science explanation? Do you have to get the high paying jobs in everything? Including writing music and painting? Can't us creative people have a little magic territory?

Wow, I think this thread convinced me to buy this album. It was either this or bytes by black dog productions ( I'll probably buy it too at a later time).

Anyway, this is a little off-topic, but has anyone seen that documentary on the man who peform incredible mathematic calculations in his head using synesthesia? He says that numbers have distinct feelings and "personalities". He also used synesthesia to tell if numbers were prime or not, remembering very long numbers, and probably some other stuff I can't remember. I saw it on the discovery channel, and I believ it was called "brainman". Probably one of the most fascinating shows I've ever seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Tammet

interesting thread, btw.

I don't know if I have synesthesia or not. You'd think you'd know if you did or didnt... its just that from what I've read, what I have doesn't match up. From my understanding, people with synesthesia LITERALLY see the color. For me, its like imagining the color. Like, imagine the color green. Its an abstract thought process, but you see it in your minds eye. Thats how music is with me, I see all sorts of colors and shapes when I hear it, but only in the minds eye, not literally in my vision, which I think synesthesia really is.

also, the colors and images I see are extremely abstract, to the point that I cant even begin to put what I see into words. When I mention colors, its such a small thing of what I experience... to say a track has a certain color to it, doesnt do it justice... its all the nuances in the track that make the colors stand out... its not an overall hue or something.

timbre and melody mate

and the fackin aliens he captured

I swear listening to SAWII was one of the most incredible journeys ever. I still rate it as Aphex's crowning work. Listening to it from start to finish is just so much like a journey. Its like packing up all of your stuff and saying 'guys I'm going on a trip ... I'll be back in a 3 hours'. Listening to SAWII to me is literally total escapism. I can't think of anything more escapist for the mind that SAWII. Aphex should definitely do SAWIII its yearning to be done.

100% spot on

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD
Why do people have to turn everything into science explanation? Do you have to get the high paying jobs in everything? Including writing music and painting? Can't us creative people have a little magic territory?

Why do artists have to turn everything into mystic explanation? Do you have to get the high mental vibrations to do anything? Including and physics and global thermonuclear war? Can't us scientific types have a little rationality?

• 1 month later...

more seriously, i understand that some things are somewhat outside language, humanity in general, you have to experience it to get it, etc.

i'm just trying to figure out the etc.

Saw2 was done with a certain analog sampler from the 80's and probably a standard reverb box like a quadraverb.(You can see him using a quadraverb at a live show he did in 92) I think the reverb sounds a bit grainy in parts. Maybe its analog like a plate. Who knows. Maybe he used an analogue delay. Who knows, but I would bet its all sampler with analogue components --> quadraverb. Maybe compression, Maybe he miced an amp, Maybe he sent the sampler through a synths filter input, but there are stock sounds on a specific sampler from the past that are in key tracks in Saw2. There you go.

okay, i think i need to calm down and ask more precise questions. this will be long and actually proof-read.

you can get the same sounds out of divers pieces of kit. consequently, i am not terribly concerned with the RECORDING of SAW II, like what samplers (hi casio FZ1) he made it with and recorded it on. that doesn't tell me what makes it what it is. i suppose, out of anything, the stuff about trying to recreate sounds he heard in dreams seemed the most on the mark. that it invoked strong synaesthesia also seemed like something of note.

point one: i'm not looking for a step by step formula to recreate SAW II, or a precise scientific analysis, or response curves of the pineal gland to a 7.83 Hz tone, or whatever. i own a copy i can listen to any time i want.

say i hear pipes making lovely resonant kinda noises in the bathroom. first, i'll record them. then, after i've done that to my satisfaction, i'll spend a good long time mulling over WHY they make the noises they do. i might figure it out, i might not. there's no direct incentive to figuring it out once i've got it recorded. i just feel driven to understand these things. it might help me out with patch programming strategies, or if i wanted to do a song about pipes, but in general i spend a lot of time trying to understand things for no particular reason other than curiosity. it's rarely practical, always interesting and engaging. it's the same reason i was so interested in synaesthesia earlier in the thread. it seems cool, and i want to understand it. so i ask, and present my best theories, then follow up.

point two: there are things i know that i'd have trouble putting into words, that's the way it goes. music can often do a little better than words. however, sometimes i can verbally phrase things in such a way that someone with common experience will know what i mean. you have to experience it to "get" it, but once you have, you can reference it by words. to use a programming term, it's like creating a pointer that references infinity. these are called koans, when done in a certain format, and this strikes me as a topic that requires something koan-ish.

a more precise question: there are probably other albums that used a sampler, a quadraverb, and compression. what makes saw II something more than those albums? if i must understand certain things before i understand saw II, just tell me where to start.

Well, this sampler(not the FZ!) has a really nice sound and the samples are very nice. Having good sounding gear helps alot. So many people always say. "I don't care about the gear, Its not the gear" While a little true as it doesn't write it for you, not the entire story. If you read anything that Aphex has ahad to say when he isn't taking the piss lately, he is VERY finnicky about his gear and whether it cuts the mustard. 4k reverbs aren't good enough. So, I think there is something to that stickler attitude about getting a great sound. Regardless, you are not Richard. Saw 2 is Richard playing around on his gear until something sounds nice. What if I do this, what if I do that. Fuck that dream scape crap. Bunch of shit he made up, I am sure.

• 11 months later...
Guest organizedconfusedproject

Syn in the strict medical terminology has to be projected. So a guy who has letters/number=>colors syn really see coloured graphemes on the paper. It's very uncommon, i read somewhere it concerns arround 1 among 1000. And besides there is "popular" syneasthesia (arround 1/24) : perceptions arnt projected, but associated. I personally have those pop syns :

Graphemes=>color

Sound=>texture, color

I also have basic hallucinocis : i've always a visual noise (like in webcams, or other numeric visual devices) covering my vision. It's not so borring as it enables me to project music. Music shakes my "field of points" and it's pretty cool though I mostly see rythm( DOUBLE DRUKQS RULES). I think also there is a link between syn and hypnogogia (state of mind before sleeping). Who doesn't hear imaginary music, or see things just before falling asleep ?

=>I also experiment lucid dreaming (don't be jealous, I don't have so many lucid dreams). When I awake, I've a lot of hallucinations. In fact that's a totally projected sound=>color/texture/shape synaesthesia. It lasts arround 2 hours, then I come back slowly to my normal state.

Another day, i was in math, after two hours of sport : making sport makes the brain deliver endorphin, opiate related substance, well known for inducing hypnogogia. I was very tired, and i started to think to my girlfriend. And fuck ! i saw her(inner vision) like a plasma ball with supples appendages, just like a lava lamp in fact. The ball was coloured with a Red-Yellow-Orange-Pink-Golden dawn color. Then I thought to other girls i want to fuck with : each was in a particular substance, and colour. I call it Object little-a=>couloured substance syn as i get an erection just by picturing it.

So in my view, syn can be learned, as it's just a question of synapse links, and even controlled. I was nearly sleepin (that the key ! if you want to be a syn, then go to bed !), and i though to a triangle. I saw it in an inner space. Then I sloowly "awake", and my visual noise came to agglomerate around the shape, and i just projected it ! It also worked for square, pentagon, hexagon etc... and even for the sierpinsky triangle

That was off topic, let's go back to the subect.

That story of time representation about SAWII reminds me there is a very common synaesthesia about time. You can see coloured monthes (i do), or set days of the week on a line(i did when child), or monthes of the year on a circle (I do) etc...

I've found that SAW2 evokes the most of my somewhat limited synaesthesia which apparently aphex also has, though he probably "suffers" from it more intensively. I get it from alot of music but aphex and particularly the saw2 album is like a 10 times more higher dose of it.

I presume it's due to the slowness, and repetitive characteristics of the album. Definitely, the secret is hypnogogia. you should try plastikman's sheet or Gescom's Minidisc

Don't feel that SAWII is the most accomplished work of RDJ. I prefer from afar Analords, they do really sound like painting to me, mostly oil but also watercolor (dry pastel for analord 158b). The texture is fabulous, and ryhtms sections are so like a nice travelling shot. But I've discovered last Luke's releases those last days, and by the almighty gods ! it's simply incredible. I've always prefered vibert's sound texture, though it was less refined thant rdj's phrasing. Benefist is so good, so thick and greasy and at the same time so aqueous and plasmatic. Generous as a 5kg golden pot of Nutella. Whereas it was done with analogic equipment, it sounds very different from analords. Those ones are hmm.. classics; painting, cinema. With Benefist ones you have the impression to be surrounded by coloured viscid balls bloping averywhere.

Archived