IGNORED

Wolf Hall, Thomas Cromwell, Henry VIII

zazen

News just broke that Hilary Mantel (author of Wolf Hall) has died at age 70.

So lets talk about the Wolf Hall trilogy.

In 2009 when Wolf Hall came out I was living in London and I remember everyone was reading it on the tube but it took me a while to get round to it.

If you havent read it: Its about Thomas Cromwell who was a blacksmiths son who ended up being the right hand man to Henry VIII about 500 years ago. I found it a really interesting read as a Brit because loads of changes happened back then that basically shape the way our country is today, and the way Mantel writes it, Thomas Cromwell was behind a lot of them. And hes an interesting character because hes basically just a smart guy who knows a bit of law and a bit of accounting and speaks a few languages. In modern times those skills are valuable but unremarkable, but 500 years ago he ran rings round everybody. There's a lot more to the book than that, it really takes you back to that time and you really understand what power was like then and what it meant to be in the kings inner circle (spoilers: lots of backstabbing). And why Henry ended up getting through so many wives.

Anyway great series of books, the first 2 are great and the 3rd is pretty good but long.

I would really recommend it, it seems like 'ah its history its going to be dull' but its actually amazingly gripping.

One thing about the style its written that takes a little getting used to is that its written in third person present tense, so Mantel often uses 'he' to refer to Cromwell, and sometimes that can be confusing when there's other characters around. So genrally he = cromwell, and if you remember that you'll get through it. Its a common complaint about the book but its worth persevering.

The TV series with Mark Rylance and Damien Lewis really good too.

Edited by zazen
  • Like 3

It's an amazing book. Mantel's prose is absolutely beautiful and her ability to peer deep into the hearts and minds of those long dead with razor sharp acuity is just stunning. A true loss to literature.

That said, the third book is way too long and was a big disappointment after the other two.

• Like 1