IGNORED

How do you think Ai will ultimately affect Human creativity over the next 30 years?

Brisbot

It seems when I think of the future of Ai, exciting and then very pessimistic thoughts come to mind. It feels just so up in the air to an absurd degree. It feels like it could swing entirely one way or the other.

I am generally pessimistic about this. Will it just become a tool among many creating a collaboration between human and Ai where both are required,  like the techbros developing it suggest, or will it upend human creativity as a whole, to where the only reason not to use Ai in a professional capacity, is just because you enjoy the process of making the music? OR is it more complicated than such black or white thinking?

There is another Ai thread about more general Ai stuff, but I am curious specifically of what people think Ai will change creativity.

dood, ai is some fake ass shit man. it's a fuckin tool for rich ass pricks to think they can play god with. delusional shit. humans are so dumb lol

• Big Brain 1

Haven't heard a counterargument to the Chinese room that's even vaguely convincing yet.

Actual AI is like a washing machine, it lets us automate siple, repetative tasks that machines are suited to, and that's it - but for the tasks it's suited to, that's more than enough.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

I suspect it'll generate an artistic reaction like the Arts & Crafts movement after industrial production got real big.

Owen Jones, for example, complained that "the architect, the upholsterer, the paper-stainer, the weaver, the calico-printer, and the potter" produced "novelty without beauty, or beauty without intelligence."[13] From these criticisms of manufactured goods emerged several publications that set out what the writers considered to be the correct principles of design.

Ruskin had argued that the separation of the intellectual act of design from the manual act of physical creation was both socially and aesthetically damaging. Morris further developed this idea, insisting that no work should be carried out in his workshops before he had personally mastered the appropriate techniques and materials, arguing that "without dignified, creative human occupation people became disconnected from life".[27]

wikipedia

but A&C became a bourgeoisie thing pretty quickly, since dedicated artisans had to charge far more for their work than the easily produced cheap crap manufacturers did. likewise, I think in our own time we'll see that there is a deluge of utterly worthless "art" made by algorithms that are just mimicking human creativity, and a (probably ultimately failed) revolt against this. it's not a new phenomenon, this cheapening of art, but AI takes it to a new level.

• Like 1

I also think that performative art (whether this means live music shows, or plays, or whatever) will gain in value. easily reproduced art (digital recordings, prints, photos etc) will become more or less worthless materially as AI learns to reproduce almost identical "products" without effort. we like art in part because it is originated in imaginations like our own, with unique influences and born of certain experiences, and expressing something intentional with a certain perspective. we appreciate skill. we value the fact that another mind like our own has created this thing. in human history so far, this origin of art has just been a necessary given - but now we will have to differentiate between the old kind, and derivative "art" made by minimal human input (a prompt is about as lazy an attempt at creativity as one could make; I've played with them myself and, while fun, it does not at all compare to the prolonged act of working on creating something you have mentally envisioned yourself, or just something that spontaneously emerges from your current skill level and desire to create). 

as an example, I am totally captured by watching a group of musicians improvise well together (or playing in such a group): it relates to my own experience as a conscious being. I would be far less impressed by a group of algorithms jamming out a song in real time; not that it isn't impressive from a technical standpoint, but there is no imagination present in its moment to moment creation, no actual relational skill between motivated minds at play. it's not relatable and therefore far less interesting to watch, to listen to, etc. 

performative art will not only be irreplaceable by AI, it will probably gain popularity in the coming decades. just a hunch. 

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 1

I think for a long time it will be a tool that will make some tasks easier for some people, used for generating raw material. But so far I haven't seen a single interesting or original piece of art made solely by machine learning ("AI" is a marketing term, it's not AI really). I spoke to someone who was doing some world building who was using ChatGPT to bounce ideas off, which they used as a jumping off point - basically to avoid writer's block by generating a bunch of suggestions, which they then could select and develop.

It really depends on the style of the art as well - I can easily imagine Autechre training a model on specifically selected material, but not using a generic model as it would lack responsiveness. All the AI art I see on facebook is just x unusual thing in the style of y already existing genre, or just pics of women with big boobs. If we had genuine AI, which we are not even close to, it would be an artist in it's own right, which wouldn't necessarily offer anything more sophisticated or unique than a human artist - just depends how good it is at imagining a unique emotional experience.

So far "AI art" just reflects the limited popular conception of what art can be, so it might put people who make that stuff out of work.

One potential good use I can imagine at some point in the near future is chat models being used as creativity coaches/amateur therapists, helping some people get past their creative blockages.

• Like 1

Screenshot_20230720-235133.png.17fe64f50c136d6efa1b90f3ea4f0e0f.png

Album Review: "Synaptic Echoes" by Binary Resonance

Artistic brilliance and a mesmerizing display of electronic virtuosity await listeners within the enigmatic depths of "Synaptic Echoes," the latest offering from the anonymous enigma known as Binary Resonance. Seamlessly blending a diverse array of electronic genres, this masterful album stands as a testament to the ever-evolving landscape of the digital age, immersing us in a meticulously crafted sonic realm that is both familiar and otherworldly.

Opening with "Electric Horizons," Binary Resonance sets the tone with a hauntingly atmospheric intro, teasing listeners with a foretaste of the ethereal journey that lies ahead. As the track unfolds, subtle rhythmic patterns and glitchy elements intertwine, creating a sense of cosmic propulsion and pushing us deeper into the artist's sonic universe.

Moving through the album's middle section, "Synaptic Echoes" delves into the core of its electronic essence. "Pulsewave Dreams" captivates with its interplay of pulsating synths and kaleidoscopic melodies, exuding a nostalgia that transcends time. "Neon Nightscape" emerges as a standout track, featuring intricate basslines and infectious beats that are irresistibly dance-inducing, reminding us of the vibrant neon-lit cityscapes that inspire the very essence of electronic music.

Binary Resonance surprises listeners with moments of introspection, showcased through the ethereal "Digital Serenity." A meditative composition that gracefully balances intricate soundscapes with a calming ambiance, offering a reprieve from the album's more energetic moments, and giving us a chance to reflect on the artist's craftmanship.

"Quantum Flux" elevates the album to new heights, delivering a relentless display of sonic innovation. The interplay of complex rhythms and mesmerizing synth textures adds a sense of urgency, driving the listener to embrace the enigmatic world conjured by Binary Resonance.

As we approach the climax of "Synaptic Echoes," "Cybernetic Utopia" emerges as an extraordinary embodiment of the album's overarching theme. Futuristic yet strangely nostalgic, this track embodies the essence of the digital age, offering a glimpse into a world where human and machine coexist in perfect harmony.

Closing with "Electric Dusk," Binary Resonance brings us to a fitting conclusion. Embracing a more downtempo vibe, this track draws us inward, concluding our journey with a sense of tranquility as we contemplate the lingering echoes of this remarkable electronic odyssey.

Throughout "Synaptic Echoes," Binary Resonance demonstrates an exceptional mastery of their craft, combining elements from the diverse tapestry of electronic music into a cohesive and immersive listening experience. With each track, the artist proves to be an alchemist of sound, transforming abstract ideas into tangible emotions and inviting us to explore the uncharted territories of our own imagination.

"Synaptic Echoes" stands tall as a testament to the boundless potential of electronic music and a testament to the artistry of Binary Resonance. Through its cosmic sonic tapestry, this album reminds us that amidst the pulsating synths and intricate rhythms, there is an underlying human element, the beating heart behind the machinery, resonating with the listeners and leaving a lasting impression long after the final notes have subsided.

you don't even have to read this shit to know it did the job

Edited by luke viia
  • Haha 1

Last year I had an argument with my dad about Ken Follett no longer writing his own books and just having a team of people to write them for him and then publish them under his name - to me this sucked ass and was the antithesis of art / creativity, obvs boomer boy was profit focused and thought a writers success entitled them to sit back and be happy with what their human bots could churn out for them.....now AI has come along I guess they too will be out of a job and Ken fing Follett can make even more cash generating 100 novels a day of dross for the brain dead masses.

To me as 'an artist'....it's the process that matters...its not just about the result but the enjoyment of doing it...the journey through the ups and downs...the wins and losses, to get all cliche

Edited by aderei
  • Like 1

There's a lack of suffering in AI art. Maybe if we punish the machines a little they'll produce better stuff? Maybe we already are punishing them, by not believe they are conscious?

Autotune was the vanguard. I have the strangest relationship with autotune that few other instruments or devices or techniques (I hate side chaining) has caused in me. I can find no pleasure in it at all. Unlike screamo singing, or Casio keyboards use to make happy hardcore, or brown note distorted guitars, or screeching atonal classical violins, or free jazz wailing saxophones, or a piercing 303. All these can be awful, all can have a place, be transcendent even. Not with the vanguard of AI that is autotune. I feel I should be able to get over it, to appreciate at least a few autontuned tracks. But the uncanny valley is hell.

So the suffering becomes on the listener, not the artist, in a reversal of roles. Much in the same way that social media filled the gap that atomisation had caused, but instead of being the replacement for the pub, the barn dance, the town hall, the community council, it became a Boschian hellscape simulacrum. AI art will be the same.

The like-minded will still dick about on instruments, and my glimmer of hope is, freed from any belief of ever 'making it big', human made music will thrive. 

"Music is now a thing of the past.

New from Harmonic 313 enterprises. Download your very own music substitute system. We guarantee you will never need to listen to music again.

Music is now a thing of the past"

Syndicate your way out of technofeudalism, kids

And yea, recording begat sequencing and sequencing begat automation but verily it was when automation begat autotune that synthesis truly became thou robobrother's keeper, and flooded the valley with pish

Proverbs, 10:15,the bAIble

• Like 1