IGNORED

Catchy melodic Drill 'n' Bass track with SPIEKS.

Zephyr_Nova

Titled 23:23, except file names apparently don't like colons. Anyone know why? Semicolons are just fine. Why is the world stupid?

This one may be included on the bonus disc. One of my catchier drill 'n' bass efforts.

I don't know if it's a catchy melody but it is with no doubt a great tune! Extremely well programmed glitchy/drill'n'bass beats. Seriously, this is a hell of a lot better than what I usually hear snippits of on Boomkat.com. I can sit for hours going through music and it's not very often anything catches my attention, but if I were to find this on Boomkat.com I'd definitely consider buying...and now that I think of it, the other track you've uploaded at the EKT would definitely make me buy it.

Do you know if it'll be available on Boomkat.com?

EDIT: Oh, and one thing...

I kinda felt that the track needed a really really deep dark bassline (almost dub-like) since the drums are very highpitched - just a thought.

My resources are a bit limitted at the moment as i'm visitting Ireland, so i've been making all the melodies and bass sounds out of one shots I have on hand. if I were at home there's a good chance I would have added a fat sub bass or something along those lines, but I thought the boomy kick filled in that frequency range well enough. I may end up adding extras when I get home.

I think we'll be able to get it sold at Boomkat. I'll pass the suggestion along to Metric Records. if you have any other suggestions on good places to sell the stuff, let me know. The more outlets carrying the better!

Cheers. :beer:

extremely nice, indeed. this is among the best stuff ive heard on the net yet. where can i find more of your music? and how do you program your beats?

One beat at a time, one beat at a time...

I just use Acid for my sequencing and use the grid to the best of my capabilities. Then there's little tricks, like adding lots of effects to a section, making a wav of that, chopping that up. Chopped up reverb-heavy sounds always sound sweet.

I've got tons of stuff posted at www.acidplanet.com/zephyr_nova and my myspace is www.myspace.com/zephyrnova

Thanks a lot!

yeah thats exactly how i work except that i use cubase instead of acid and that i'm not as good at it :)

i'll check out your tunes as soon as i'm back home. seriously, that's the first time i hear somethin on the internet that i really need to put on my mp3 player :D

just listened quietly (3:26am)

absolutely excellent

downloading

this is some of the best drill i've heard this millenium

the last minute or so made me grin continuously

thankyou for sharing

pressing play again

this is some of the best drill i've heard this millenium

the last minute or so made me grin continuously

thankyou for sharing

pressing play again

Nice! That's exactly what I'm shooting for. :smiling:

And you're very welcome.

Guest oxiactionmax

this is so fucking cool, such clever little chords, slightly reminiscent of the i heart huckabees soundtrack, but with amazing beat programming.

Hehe, I never thought I'd ever get an I heart huckabees comparison. I watched that movie once some time ago, don't really remember anything about it other than that I found it kind of cheesy and was hoping for more after reading the reviews. It sounded like the sort of movie that I'd really enjoy.

Thanks for the feedback!

nice one, though those cheesy melodies made me cringe sometimes;)

production is pretty good but kinda muddy/unclear in the lower end, the low stuff could be a bit more prominent & clear..

but yeah i enjoyed it alot as usual..

Guest SamWhite!
My resources are a bit limitted at the moment as i'm visitting Ireland, so i've been making all the melodies and bass sounds out of one shots I have on hand. if I were at home there's a good chance I would have added a fat sub bass or something along those lines, but I thought the boomy kick filled in that frequency range well enough. I may end up adding extras when I get home.

I think we'll be able to get it sold at Boomkat. I'll pass the suggestion along to Metric Records. if you have any other suggestions on good places to sell the stuff, let me know. The more outlets carrying the better!

Cheers. :beer:

You can make dubs with anything. (just about) Just find a filter VST, set it to low pass, and amplify the fuck outta that.

oh yeh, this track as a nice funk. I enjoy it, some what. It needs differen't phases though. It's just non-stop the same thing pretty much.

I also only have my headphones to mix with over here, so I'm not getting a good overall picture of how the bass comes across. I like how it sounds just fine through the headphones though. It's not meant to be a bassy heavy track. The other two tracks I've got finished are both quite bass heavy (not posted). And yeah, I do that filter thing quite a bit, works like a charm.

Guest getting photons

It was great, and when you can mix it on a nice set of balanced monitors it will be better than great.

the drums are way too loud and in-your-face for my taste, just makes it too compressed and crunched. the melody is absolutely fantastic. if you'd adjust the drum levels more and ease up on the tin can compression, this track would be pretty damn amazing. right now the elements don't really fit together as optimally as they should, i think, so the dynamic is a bit lost on me. but fuck, that melody. cuntingly delicious.

oh, and yeah, a bit more change-ups would be in order, to keep the track a bit more spiced up, for that optimal effect when the dastardly melody reappears.

I have to say this didn't blow me away. Obviously there is some skill at hand here though. Yeah melody is quite nice and different but honestly this hasn't blown me away. Beats feel too clattery and mid rangey. Yeah lots of fast complex edits here but I don't know if its totally my bag or whether I'm totally feeling it. This track really needs some bass and bottomend. Okay the edits are overall impressive but that for me doesn't necessarily make a great track. I wouldn't rate this anyway near the hype I've been reading in this thread. Essentially music wise its the same loop played over and over again. Anyways hat off to your cut up skills Zephyr dude.

Guest oxiactionmax

I'd just like to disagree respectfully with promo here and say that there's lots of variation in the melodic material. The plaid-esque opening bit sustains everything nicely for well over a minute before theres a sign of the second theme (which i still maintain sounds a bit like huckabees), the two are mixed up very nicely too nothing ever repeating too many times without a quirky little tweak.

as for not enough bass, i dunno, i guess if you had a full album of tracks like this it would start to grate but for a one off it's a lovely juxtaposition of a simple, cheerful little melody with some nicely mashed beats. Been listening a couple of times since i first downloaded it and i'm still loving it.

Promo: sorry the track disagreed with you and didn't live up to the hype. You'd probably hate a lot of the music I think is great. I'm just happy there's any hype to begin with. It's not one of my favorite things I've done, and I'm not sure i would ever put it on an album. It sure was fun to make though, and that's mostly what it's about for me. If other people like it too, great.

I'm back from my trip now, so I can check out the track with decent monitors and see whether I agree with the not-enough-bass concensus. I do like a bass heavy mix personally, but I also like the less conventional mixes, and even am partial to the grating sounds, hence why the drums are that way. I like a lot of vsnares and Aphex mixes for the same reason. For instance on the Richard D James album I probably like the songs that have caused me the greatest hearing loss the most :)

Thanks for the kind words, oxyactionmax! Those are pretty much my sentiments exactly. I think we think on a similar wavelength when it comes to music. Really like what I've heard from you too, so the fact that you think highly of my stuff means a lot. You got a myspace?

It's interesting hearing the variety of opinions on a track like this, because I'll get a few people who love the melody, don't care much for the beats, and then I get people who love the beats, find the melody cheesy, and then occassionally I succeed in pleasing a listener on both points, or on neither. So while I guess it's not that helpful in giving me an idea of weather something should be done differently, it is helpful in that it encourages me to relisten with everything that's been said in mind (and then go with my instincts). Hehe, wouldn't it be bizzare if one day a song were recorded that was universally likeable... I can't think of any contendors off the top of my head... hey what about Strawberry Fields by the Beatles? I'm not sure I've ever met anyone that doesn't like that.

Ron: I think I'll post the album relelvent info here when I've got it. It'll definitely be mentioned on my myspace page if not here. Cheers!

Cheers, thanks for the mastering comment too. I'm listening to the new Beck right now and I'm finding the production inspiring. Going to check out my songs on actual monitors and tweak accordingly.

Thanks goffer. It always takes a fair amount of time doing all the cut-ups for a track like this.

But I spent almost as long revising it:

All the suggestions were helpful. I changed the track quite bit, reEQing everything, adding new parts, taking out other parts. It's a much more full sounding track now, and I think it has a lot more impact overall. When I listened to the original on regular speakers I was surprised at how weak the melodic bits sounded, and those of you who commented on it needing more bass were right. There are quite a few other goodies in there now as well.

PS: anyone know how to delete former mp3 attatchments? I no longer have room to post any new tracks, and I know how much everyone hates listening to acidplanet streams.

Archived