IGNORED

what label are you aiming to be on?

Fred McGriff

I think I might send one out to Benbecula. I've been slacking on sending out demos. I've been trying to get in contact with advertising people more often lately.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no interest in any record label. In the last 10 years, I have been offered deals by both Hypnotic and R&S Records and as soon as I read the contract, I knew there was no friggin' way in hell that I would sign up for this. Maybe if I was some jailbait pop-star that had a chance at selling a million records with the proper hype machine behind me, but faceless electronic music will never pull those kind of numbers. I am just happy to have my albums on iTunes. I may not sell much, but at least I keep what I make and do not have to sign my masters and life over to the devil to do so.

:shuriken:

I have no interest in any record label. In the last 10 years, I have been offered deals by both Hypnotic and R&S Records and as soon as I read the contract, I knew there was no friggin' way in hell that I would sign up for this. Maybe if I was some jailbait pop-star that had a chance at selling a million records with the proper hype machine behind me, but faceless electronic music will never pull those kind of numbers. I am just happy to have my albums on iTunes. I may not sell much, but at least I keep what I make and do not have to sign my masters and life over to the devil to do so.

Come on dude, your tracks are so awesome, you gotta release them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck labels, seriously. never happening unless i get a billion dollars. not worth it signing off my music for small pennies and one gig in some fucking noise festival in lithuania or whatever. well, spunktronics is the golden excempt, seeing as it's a no contract thing for fun, but other than that, as it stands today, bleh. i'd rather have all my stuff be my own. the audience is so small anyway, i'd rather just hand it out for free or maybe press it on vinyl myself with some kind of cost recovery plan. so, ok, not a complete "fuck labels", because my own is awesome even though it'll probably never release anything. probably.

Guest Arthur Jigzmo

how about all labels go straight to hell and burn there in lonely ditches carved out by the teeth of bahamut. also the ditches are filled with burning pus, snakes, and eels. Also giant entrail tubes hang from the red sky and dump gobs of trash feces used and infected syringes and scrapple.

ha ha just kiddin. i would like to produce the CD's myself and just somehow get it in stores that dont exist anymore where the CDs will go into the discount bin or possiblt the free bin or possibly the trash bin ha ha! yeah that is my dream and i will fuckin make this happen. if not perhaps southern lord recs what with the heavy music and such. as i am heavy with saturated undulations.

Guest Arthur Jigzmo
The Social Registry

Luke i swear to god if you submit our music to these asshole hipsters i will crush your tiny flaccid little soul into oblivion dust. they live in new york and are probably liberals who disagree with the death penalty.

Come on dude, your tracks are so awesome, you gotta release them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's very kind of you to say that.

You're all sweet. :shuriken: Heheheh

If you are interested in making a living off of your music but don't want to sign to a record label, you can find contractual work within the advertising world. Go to google and find out all the production design firms near you, then whipup some fancy resume and self package a demo cd. Send it to all of them, thats what I did. It too a few days and I called each of the firms after I sent my resume and demo to try and schedule an interview. Its really just getting your foot in the door, especially if you live in a large area. In the past year I worked on 12 projects and have music playing at the Museum or Science and History and at the Imax/Omni theater near where I live. Ive also sold music for commercials for restaurants and an optometrist. Most of the time you don't end up making anything you are terribly proud of, as you have to be able to produce whatever the client wants, but it beats a 9-5.

Guest ۞ Syntheme ۞
Mike P released some really bad music from someone because they sent him their demo cd in a box filled with birdseed.

I think you should wrap the jewel case like a Christmas gift, with penis-print wrapping paper.

Oh right which artist was that?

I'd love to be on planet mu, mewe/weme or rephlex!

Rephlex haven't been accepting demos or releasing music that way for probably 10 years so no offence but that's a fantasy.

i didn't send rephlex a demo

Guest skytree
Mike P released some really bad music from someone because they sent him their demo cd in a box filled with birdseed.

I think you should wrap the jewel case like a Christmas gift, with penis-print wrapping paper.

Oh right which artist was that?

I'd love to be on planet mu, mewe/weme or rephlex!

Rephlex haven't been accepting demos or releasing music that way for probably 10 years so no offence but that's a fantasy.

i didn't send rephlex a demo

not with THAT attitude, you didnt'!

Guest skytree
If you are interested in making a living off of your music but don't want to sign to a record label, you can find contractual work within the advertising world. Go to google and find out all the production design firms near you, then whipup some fancy resume and self package a demo cd. Send it to all of them, thats what I did. It too a few days and I called each of the firms after I sent my resume and demo to try and schedule an interview. Its really just getting your foot in the door, especially if you live in a large area. In the past year I worked on 12 projects and have music playing at the Museum or Science and History and at the Imax/Omni theater near where I live. Ive also sold music for commercials for restaurants and an optometrist. Most of the time you don't end up making anything you are terribly proud of, as you have to be able to produce whatever the client wants, but it beats a 9-5.
how long have you been doing this for, beneboi? i'm interested in attempting something similar.

fuck labels, seriously. never happening unless i get a billion dollars. not worth it signing off my music for small pennies and one gig in some fucking noise festival in lithuania or whatever. well, spunktronics is the golden excempt, seeing as it's a no contract thing for fun, but other than that, as it stands today, bleh. i'd rather have all my stuff be my own. the audience is so small anyway, i'd rather just hand it out for free or maybe press it on vinyl myself with some kind of cost recovery plan. so, ok, not a complete "fuck labels", because my own is awesome even though it'll probably never release anything. probably.

Yeah, your stuff is the kind of stuff people would want on vinyl so I'm sure you could make it all the costs back in sales.

I'm really not sure what label would be good for me.

I plan on releasing my first CD on my own label though. At this early in the game, I think it's kind of pointless to give up my ownership and only get a small percentage of the sales, if it's going to be a small label that doesn't really give me much exposure. The internet is so powerful, a grassroots type of marketing scheme could prove just as effective. And I'd remain control of all my music. If a big enough label came around and made it really worth my while, then sure, I'd love to get a larger audience, but when the audience is so small, I rather do it all myself. Also, if I do well on my own, it shows labels I have the drive, and I can prove how much I've sold, which is always good for them to see.

Guest mushroom

I took the album I'm working on as-is, burned it four times then sent the CDs to Planet Mu, Skam, Terminal Dusk and Type. I also am about to send some MP3s to En:Peg. I'll consider it a massive acheivement if I even get a response.

I'm really not sure what label would be good for me.

I plan on releasing my first CD on my own label though. At this early in the game, I think it's kind of pointless to give up my ownership and only get a small percentage of the sales, if it's going to be a small label that doesn't really give me much exposure. The internet is so powerful, a grassroots type of marketing scheme could prove just as effective. And I'd remain control of all my music. If a big enough label came around and made it really worth my while, then sure, I'd love to get a larger audience, but when the audience is so small, I rather do it all myself. Also, if I do well on my own, it shows labels I have the drive, and I can prove how much I've sold, which is always good for them to see.

That's pretty much what I'm doing with some friends of mine:

http://www.gnosisrecords.com

Archived