IGNORED

what label are you aiming to be on?

Fred McGriff

yeah most of the new ep is on my demo, and a couple of "classics" . . . all in all 7 tracks that total about 22 minutes. seems like an appropriate length for a demonstrational compact disc.

on the cd itself i have written "Beak," "Demo CD," my email address, my phone number, and the date.

i plan on enclosing a tracklisting with contact details and a brief thank you for listening. not sure whether or not to write anything else like "i'm a fan of your label's output" or anything like that. no frills, no package design. hopefully the music will speak for itself.

see what happens. . .

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not sure whether or not to write anything else like "i'm a fan of your label's output" or anything like that. no frills, no package design. hopefully the music will speak for itself.

see what happens. . .

i have very little experience sending out demos, i really only did it once on a massive scale and havent really done it since. although i probably should again... but i did watch Wai of isolate records open up and listen to demos once and it was interesting to observe what factors in the package influenced his opinion. Out of 10 or so demos i saw him check out, the one that stood out the most to him was the one with a personal hand written note talking about the label and why he sent out the demo to isolate. of course the music was to his liking, but i think it always helps to personalize it a little bit. If you are sending out to labels you truly admire i would add some personal info along with it. Alot of people tend to do the exact opposite and making their demo send out look really slick and professional with like a press kit. I honestly thinks this hurts more than helps get your demo noticed/taken seriously.

cool, good to read. i did handwritten notes last night, about 6 or 7 sentences, sort of explaining why I sent it to their label. just enough to show them i'm interested in them particularly, but not enough to waste their time.

Not really good enough to be on a label tbh, I don't have the time to work on stuff anymore either. But ideally if I got back into the tunage I'd like to be on Planet Mu or Rephlex, that would be awesome.

not sure whether or not to write anything else like "i'm a fan of your label's output" or anything like that. no frills, no package design. hopefully the music will speak for itself.

see what happens. . .

i have very little experience sending out demos, i really only did it once on a massive scale and havent really done it since. although i probably should again... but i did watch Wai of isolate records open up and listen to demos once and it was interesting to observe what factors in the package influenced his opinion. Out of 10 or so demos i saw him check out, the one that stood out the most to him was the one with a personal hand written note talking about the label and why he sent out the demo to isolate. of course the music was to his liking, but i think it always helps to personalize it a little bit. If you are sending out to labels you truly admire i would add some personal info along with it. Alot of people tend to do the exact opposite and making their demo send out look really slick and professional with like a press kit. I honestly thinks this hurts more than helps get your demo noticed/taken seriously.

great advice!

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

honestly if i ever get around to sending out demos, crayon is going to be involved. i decided that a good 1.5 years ago.

I sent a demo to SKAM a little over a week ago. On the insert I drew a picture of a hotdog half eaten and bleeding with X's for eyes. Hopefully something comes of it [probably not].

Guest skytree

benbecula's on the top of my list, though i've recently been signed to herb, which has a good bit of potential as a startup label. the guy who runs it seems really organized and savvy, and is very good to work with so far. i get hardcopy distribution, as well as online distribution through iTunes, beatport, Sony Connect, etc. online distribution is a massive outlet for inexpensive, effective exposure (i also get a 50% share of music sold online). i believe we'll be seeing a huge amount of development in that area in the future.

i've also been contracted to ambient/drone/meditation music for aveda salons, and just finished the project this morning. not really a 'signing' so to speak, but there's lots of cash to be had, and a huge amount of exposure.

still, benbecula remains my holy grail for the time being. its aesthetic is the perfect home for the type of tunes i predict myself making in a few years' time.

good luck with your beak material, fred. i've not heard a lot of your newer stuff, but really liked what i had in the past. i hope it finds a decent home.

Mike P released some really bad music from someone because they sent him their demo cd in a box filled with birdseed.

I think you should wrap the jewel case like a Christmas gift, with penis-print wrapping paper.

Oh right which artist was that?

I'd love to be on planet mu, mewe/weme or rephlex!

Rephlex haven't been accepting demos or releasing music that way for probably 10 years so no offence but that's a fantasy.

Mike P released some really bad music from someone because they sent him their demo cd in a box filled with birdseed.

I think you should wrap the jewel case like a Christmas gift, with penis-print wrapping paper.

Oh right which artist was that?

Nicole Elmer, it's in her bio page on planet-mu.com

I'd love to be on planet mu, mewe/weme or rephlex!
Rephlex haven't been accepting demos or releasing music that way for probably 10 years so no offence but that's a fantasy.
what about meeting the top man in a sushi restaurant and having a fight over the wasabi, and in the ambulance on the way to hospital get chattin and shit. plenny o'ways to end up releasing under someone (so to speak ooh err) without sending a demo for them to use as a coaster

okay so after doing some research and whatnot over labels that have artists that i like that have addresses on their webpages, tomorrow i'm sending out demos to:

planet-mu

skam

benbecula

sublight

type

any others i'm missing out? no? k great. nice knowing all of you.

Herb Recordings.

seriously!

things are coming together with physical releases and distribution partners being established at the moment... bedding in this year with some great CD album releases penned in....inc albums from polish 3-peice Zerova, Engine 7 and a little known talent who goes by the name of uhmm. what was it again? oh yeah - Skytree.....that was it... ;-)

not to mention the fabulous 'Carnivalesque' by some losers going by the name of Rubens.

i really like beak.

how a hot air balloon works is awesome.

actually, that reasonably recent one you did with the fucked up drum propgramming was tight as well.

good shit fred.

it won't be long. bear in mind labels get literally hundreds of demos a week, and to listen to all the drivel to find the gems is fucking soul destroying.

Archived