IGNORED

Exoskeleton

Guest jaylab

Guest jaylab

Greetings watmmers,

I'm looking for feedback on some stuff I made for a recent 5-track ep (available here). I'm a bit of a newbie to the forums here so I hope I'm not stepping out of line... I think I am finally approaching a respectable music standard after 10 years of trying. The track below (Exoskeleton) is inspired by cap.iv by autechre, and was created on an antique version of Renoise using only found sound.

http://freedomirc.net/~stefan/jay/negative...Exoskeleton.mp3

10.1Mb, 7:24 in length.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

Not bad, the general execution and sound is pretty good here but I think you made a mistake mentioning "cap.iv" which immediately raised the bar of expectation for me, being such an excellent Ae track. My overriding feeling about "Exoskeleton" on first listen is that it's a bit too long and would be more effective with a little pruning and tightening up but that's IMO. Once the kicks and metallic clangs come in around half way, it improves a lot simply because it's doing something different. If you listen to the sheer variety of sounds and change ups in Cap.iv, then you can hear that "exoskeleton" stays quite samey throughout, I think mainly because your track doesn't deal in melody much either, being more concerned with the overall ambience behind the beats and glitching, it leaves you less to latch on to for its duration. It's quite like a framework actually so it's really well named! I'm being a tad unfair and I realise you said "inspired" only but its difficult when anyone mentions any track in relation to their own. Because it is better on a repeat listen admittedly, I got much more into it and some folk will really go for it I reckon, It's just taste at the end of the day. So maybe a bit shorter and maybe introduce the change up a bit quicker and I think you'd have something very good. On the other hand maybe I'm just adjusting to it, these are my initial impressions. : ) Decent sound no matter what.

Guest jaylab

Thanks a lot this is very helpful. You are probably correct about referring to cap.iv. I mentioned it purely for the sake of transparency and giving due credit, but yeah, exo was never going to be as good as that :(

The length was something I toyed with. There is a shorter version but it sounded a little hurried. Wanted to give everything proper space to develop. Perhaps I went a little overboard.

ta!

Some great percussion on here, i want more melodies though, that string-thing and all the stabs you have running in the background are great atmosphere, just needs some more melody to guide it along and keep it fresh

Guest tht! tne

i agree with Twentyfourange

also it's hard to top autechre

not implying anything just if you work in their style you gotta bring your a-game

Archived