IGNORED

field recording

kaen

I had a period where I tried some stuff out, but it's difficult to get nice recordings.

What you need are binaural microphones. They're small earplugs, so not only is the stereo imaging great, but you're also not drawing any attention.

For recording device I'd recommend some sort of flash memory recording device. I wouldn't use minidisc, it's like mp3. You will lose a lot of fidelity which will be noticeable if you want to process the recordings later.

hmmm binaural mics would be cool but what about stuff at long distances?

I guess it really depends on what kind of stuff you want to sample

I just picked up mic for this purpose a week ago, actually. I went with a shotgun mic, it's got a long range and very directional, so you can hone in on a smaller area of space then you could otherwise. Also it's very sensitive. I imagined myself taking samples and stuff from a distance, so that's why I went with it.

This is what I got:

pro2.jpg

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/03285#

It records pretty clean, but I live next to a couple highways (actually like a mile away, but they're fuckin loud) so I haven't gotten to do much out side yet. Recorded some leaves rustling in the wind and whatnot, but the highway noise is just too loud. I'll have to go out to a beautiful place out in the country to get some good stuff...

Oh yeah.. I was just using my laptop and an external bus-powered card, I imagine someday I'd like something like this

diagonal.gif

cheers

Guest Analogue Wings
whats field recording, do you record silence, if so, i like it :grin:

it's when you leave your house, but still make records.

Well not really silence. Just like recording erm...stuff (the wind blowing the leaves, people playing in the park, the ambience in a shop/house/office. etc. etc.). Adds like 5,000,000% to the quality of most music.

Guest Analogue Wings
has anyone tried or heard about these? anygood?

MicroTrack-sm.jpg

m-audio microtrack 24/96

The Edirol isa similar price but has built-in mikes. The M-Audio comes with the same kind of mike but it doesnt seem to be built-in.

I like the idea of an all-in-one innocuous looking box that you just place on the ground somewhere. Esp if you're doing crowd noise and you dont just want 2 hours of "hey look at that twat pointing that microphone at us"

I've done tons of field recordings...almost every track I have done in the past year or so has some type of field recording in it....I just use the mic on my $50 mp3 player.....works great

i have a tiny,shit mp3 player that enables me to record sounds (for up to like 80mins or something) and the quality is amazing. very crisp,and allows me to get extremely detailed sound.

i dont know how,or why. i dont question the gods when i am blessed with such a tool.

edit*

that applies to both my mp3 recorder and my mahsiv cock.

i have a tiny,shit mp3 player that enables me to record sounds (for up to like 80mins or something) and the quality is amazing. very crisp,and allows me to get extremely detailed sound.

i dont know how,or why. i dont question the gods when i am blessed with such a tool.

edit*

that applies to both my mp3 recorder and my mahsiv cock.

make/model ?! of the mp3 player i mean :P

Guest androne
I've done tons of field recordings...almost every track I have done in the past year or so has some type of field recording in it....I just use the mic on my $50 mp3 player.....works great

brand/model #s?

Guest biggiesmartypants

do you think the thunder in aphex' on is done with binaural (and alot of other small samples), cause it sounds so real?

on another note ive just bought a digital dictation machine for something else but im going to see how well it picks up audio coz its one of the only ones i could find that has a really decent dynamic mic built in which is for recording lectures and also saves in wav so it might be better than ud expect, anyway its worth trying.

ill be buying something more pro later on in the year i guess.

brand/model #s?

MPIO FL100

Guest greenbank

i just made my own binaraural mic. it's very low quality but the spacing sounds ok so it's like a hissy version of real life. i used 2 tiny mics of the type that gets mounted straight onto a circuit board + placed them in some old in-ear headphones which i removed the speakers from + hollowed out to get enough room to fit the mics pointing out the way. i reused the original wires on the headphones so it looks not too shabby apart from the blutac holding the mics firmly in.

for some reason there is tons of mains hum and i'm recording on a minidisc running on batteries, all my inputs on the MD now do that, anyone have any idea why?

Archived