IGNORED

NI Massive is Crap

Guest hahathhat

Massive is awesome. It's very cpu hungry, but just mix it down to audio and you're good. For those not very familiar with it make sure you have the "quality" set to high, I'm not sure if it is by default of not but there is a huge diff between the highest and lowest quality. Though the low quality mode can be used for good effect too.

I have much praise for massive, and love the way modulations are handled, granted i didn't at first, but after a week or two I was wishing every synth had this option.

i kinda look to ohmforce these days for the level of ingenuity and creativity i used to look to NI for.

I wouldn't say "I look to" ohmforce as opposed to any other company personally, but I do agree that ohmforce is awesome and very unique/progressive.

Plus NI made Kontakt, Spektral Delay, B4, Reaktor, Absynth (though I only used that a lot when it came out) and FM7/8 along with many other amazing things. Even if they put out crap for the rest of their business days, I will always have lots of love and respect for them. Especially for Kontakt, Spektral Delay and FM7/8.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW FX are right under the amp, bypass, and master volume. Where it says "FX1" or "FX2" click the button that says "none" right next to it and you will get a drop down menu of more than enough fx.

Guest hahathhat

i will play with massive some more.

i love ohmforce fx but they haven't come up with any memorable VSTi (synths) that i have tried. however, i don't use NI fx much; use guitar rig sometimes.

but for VSTi - battery2 is my staple for drum sampling. pro52, b4 - both great plugins i use here and there. also like fm7, and kontakt when battery can't take the heat.

most of my plugins are freeware, actually. i think part of it might not be that NI has gotten worse, but that freeware has gotten so much better. i forget who said this originally, but "the kiddies are catching up!!"

Guest pantsonmyhead
i have not used the presets at all actually

- where's the arp - the step sequencer is ok but cumbersome

- i can't find fx if any

- -, sc boxes? what the fuck is that??? this drag system needs better labeling

- the filters don't get me wet

- sounds very softsynth

fx> there are 2 insert effects and 2 master effects

sc= sidechain, for the use of having an exponential modulation sidechain (like an envelope controlling the amplitude of an lfo etc..)

i like massive

i don't think it's the "end all be all" synth but it is pretty capable

the feedback function is a nice addition and the semi modular routing is neat

the morphing lfo's are a nice addition too

the wavetables aren't the greates in solo but with the voices ramped up it can sound really phat (and drain your cpu like crazy)

• 2 weeks later...

What i noticed with massive was a bit of airy plastic sound , just like the cutof and the resonance dont meet each other right but im sure when you fidle around enough and ad some effects u can make some good sounds with it.It reminds me a bit of the novation V station.

• 1 month later...
Guest Twenty Knives

kontakt is a really nice sampler w/ really bullshit sound output. if you mix nice and low it will sound fine though.

Kontakt is my favorite sampler ever. You could just load a sample of a waveform and it would be just as good as a badass synth. There's enough fx and processing built into it to do your standard subtractive synthesis stuff.

With the compressor and processors in it i never have an issue with the outputs. If anything its so great b/c i can do all the mixing in there and not have to put any vst effects or even compressors on the channels i'm using kontakt on. Only with the exception of the occasional limiter but only if its a drum loop or something with heavy dynamics. Or occasionally a good reverb if it's not something that sounds right in the main mix without one.

Guest Twenty Knives

no ive got a nice soundcard/monitors. i just dont like the output, its a personal thing i suppose. i usually use renoise so i dont have too much reason to load kontakt but when i do i usually have to mix more quietly than usual to get it to sit nicely in a mix

I am at odds figuring out if the original poster's avatar is either a satellite image of a pink desert. or a recently unshaven nutsack.

Guest grinningcat

lol @ where's the arp... you making euro trance boy?!

massive is an awesome synth, even for beginners, like with most NI things its flexiable enough to use for loads of things like getting kick drum patterns out of it, lots of synth loops and whole basslines quite simple by routing a 'performer' thing into various different assignable bits such as filt cut off / osc pitch

only thing I havent really figureed out is how to control the 'performer' section better, as in each increment of the performer window it sometimes lets you draw in a perfect triangle, sometimes a slighty bent one and sometimes other curves, how can I select which shape I want... if anyone has any clue what im talking about. thanks

Guest grinningcat
Grinningcat: When in the performer window, to your left --> right underneath "1 Env " is a button that says "load curve". Click that. Should be all ya need.

thankyou sir!!!!

Massive seems plagued that it is filled with horrible presets, yet is completely awesome if you attempt to learn it from init patches.

yeah massive is excellent. The sound is a bit thin compared to some other soft synths, but the flexibility with the envelopes makes up for it. It taxes my cpu and ram quite bad tho so it's almost something I reserve for making weird poly rhythmic sequences instead of a lead or a bass, that way i get more bang for my buck with it i guess.

edit: yeah like the guy above me said...i wouldn't judge it by the presets AT ALL. Much better than the presets would lead you to believe.

Have you considered the possibility that NI might be a "shadow of their former glory" because nitwits like you and me download their shit for free, fuck around with it a couple of hours, and decide that it's crap because there is absolutely no incentive to make the most out of the software?

i bought Reaktor 4 as my first NI purchase back inthe day. What happened was they had some online registration thing you had to do to activate the program. Their web applet program that logged you in was broken for over a week after i purchased it. So you know what i did? I got on emule,downloaded a Reaktor 4 crack and merily used that INSTEAD of my commercial product. They ran identically when compared, and the cracked version was more convenient and faster to install. NI, by trying to make sure i bought your program you caused me to be so disillusioned by your service i ended up using a stolen version instead.

Archived