Guest hahathhat

i have not used the presets at all actually

- where's the arp - the step sequencer is ok but cumbersome

- i can't find fx if any

- -, sc boxes? what the fuck is that??? this drag system needs better labeling

- the filters don't get me wet

- sounds very softsynth

RTFM.

i massive is too complicated a synthesiser for you to figure out, you might have better luck with something that has sample-playback ROMs. you can just find sounds that say "trumpet" or "bass", and they sound just like it! you don't even have to play around with knobs!

massive, while nothing particularly groundbreaking, IMO, does sound pretty good, and certainly does some things other synths can't.

but seriously, WTF? are you really that ADD that you can't spend the time to figure out a softsynth? massive has a unique method of programming and modulation, but it's not exactly rocket science. actually once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

there are plenty of effects, both insert and send. there is no traditional arpeggiator, no. the step-sequencer can function quite well as an arp, as can the more complex version (the name of which escapes me.) not to mention you can have independent sequencers etc. controlling multiple parameters of different oscillators to do things no arpeggiator can possibly do, ever.

NI is going down the tubes, i'll agree with that. i used to work for them, and used to love their stuff, but they've done nothing in the last couple of years that lives up to their early genius. GR3 was a disappointment, Kontakt 3 i'm still trying to make sense of, and Kore... well... has its place i guess.

but massive was actually cool. it was an attempt to do something a little different and it is different.

i suggest you take the time to learn it, and you'll realise you can do some pretty wild stuff with it you can't do with any other synth.

or you can smack your hands on the keyboard and say "this is stupid stupid stupid stupid!!!" and go back to playing with band-in-a-box.

c

i thought you were talking about ARP synths ;(

NI Massive is not my thing at all, both sound-wise and functionality-wise, but it is a very polished and slick piece of software. even though it is boring, and even though you could do a lot more with 'software' synthesis, it still is a well made program. i'd never use it, but i have massive (ehh) respect for the code-monkeys at NI.

RTFM.

i massive is too complicated a synthesiser for you to figure out, you might have better luck with something that has sample-playback ROMs. you can just find sounds that say "trumpet" or "bass", and they sound just like it! you don't even have to play around with knobs!

massive, while nothing particularly groundbreaking, IMO, does sound pretty good, and certainly does some things other synths can't.

but seriously, WTF? are you really that ADD that you can't spend the time to figure out a softsynth? massive has a unique method of programming and modulation, but it's not exactly rocket science. actually once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

there are plenty of effects, both insert and send. there is no traditional arpeggiator, no. the step-sequencer can function quite well as an arp, as can the more complex version (the name of which escapes me.) not to mention you can have independent sequencers etc. controlling multiple parameters of different oscillators to do things no arpeggiator can possibly do, ever.

NI is going down the tubes, i'll agree with that. i used to work for them, and used to love their stuff, but they've done nothing in the last couple of years that lives up to their early genius. GR3 was a disappointment, Kontakt 3 i'm still trying to make sense of, and Kore... well... has its place i guess.

but massive was actually cool. it was an attempt to do something a little different and it is different.

i suggest you take the time to learn it, and you'll realise you can do some pretty wild stuff with it you can't do with any other synth.

or you can smack your hands on the keyboard and say "this is stupid stupid stupid stupid!!!" and go back to playing with band-in-a-box.

c

lol, i think you're being a bit harsh...

i also think massive is rubbish.

Guest hahathhat

wow people are getting a little too serious here

what i meant with the arp is, i read the taglines for massive, they were all WE PUT EVERY FORM OF SYNTHESIS IN THATS WHY ITS CALLED MASSIVE and i figured they'd at least have a simple arp, since it's a classic synth widget. i know some people probably hate them but i like them, so ok?

i did have some fun with the step sequencer the other day. i pasted 200 bars or so of a loop, hit record automation, and started messing with the sequencer live, later the other controls... only to discover that it was not recording my automation changes on the step sequencer. jam lost, should have done audio instead but it's all computer anyways so i went for the path of least noise. maybe i also should have tested envelope automation first.

i have used it in a few of my songs - no, no presets, all patches i made from init. i get some nice pads out of it, but otherwise i find it somewhat dull in terms of results.

what i saw when i looked at it was oscillators with a lot of waveforms, a good wad of filter types, good routing options, envelopes, lfos, etc. it isn't BAD, i suppose, i just was sorely disappointed. as maus said, NI is a shadow of their former glory. yeah i got some pads i used out of it, but i have a dozen other plugins that could have done that just as well. i learn/try stuff by playing with it, and in doing so i failed to get that much exciting out of it. maybe this topic should have been called "NI Massive's Marketing is Full of Crap"

edit: and yes to the lad above it uses more cpu than it deserves

Have you considered the possibility that NI might be a "shadow of their former glory" because nitwits like you and me download their shit for free, fuck around with it a couple of hours, and decide that it's crap because there is absolutely no incentive to make the most out of the software?

Maybe if you made more of an investment in Massive than jerking off nine times while waiting for the download to finish you'd be more inclined to make the most of what it *is*, rather than bitching about some minute feature it lacks. I've listened to your tracks, and you're hardly pushing the boundaries of synthesis. Like they say, it's the poor musician that blames the instrument.

Maybe if you made more of an investment in Massive than jerking off nine times while waiting for the download to finish you'd be more inclined to make the most of what it *is*, rather than bitching about some minute feature it lacks.

Man, Massive is only 51mb.

No way could you fit 9 wanks into that download time!

Guest hahathhat
Have you considered the possibility that NI might be a "shadow of their former glory" because nitwits like you and me download their shit for free, fuck around with it a couple of hours, and decide that it's crap because there is absolutely no incentive to make the most out of the software?

Maybe if you made more of an investment in Massive than jerking off nine times while waiting for the download to finish you'd be more inclined to make the most of what it *is*, rather than bitching about some minute feature it lacks. I've listened to your tracks, and you're hardly pushing the boundaries of synthesis. Like they say, it's the poor musician that blames the instrument.

you're not fooling me into using that VST any longer sir give it up. yes, why fuck around with other VSTs that i know and love, when i could waste time learning something that does what my other plugins do

i am indeed a poor musician. too poor to afford much of anything

i bet you hate luke vibert - he isn't pushing the boundaries of synthesis so he sucks amirite

and frankly, someone tell me what i am missing, rather than telling me i am an idiot. nothing makes your case like ad hominems, hmmm?

Actually, I'm a big fan of Luke Vibert (not necessarily his latest, most prolific phase, though..). You're essentially making my point for me by bringing up an artist that makes the most out of a piece of software that has more annoying limitations than I personally care to deal with (i.e. Reason).

And before you get all butt-hurt about these terrible 'ad hominem' attacks, consider your topic's title and your first post. Let me close by saying (based on the flabbiness of your forearms evident in your whack-ass videos) maybe if you spent a little less money on hot pockets and toaster strudel you might be able to afford better plugins. Or, heaven forfend, a decent hardware synth (MS2000? tsk tsk).

Guest Endoplasmic Reticulum
And before you get all butt-hurt about these terrible 'ad hominem' attacks, consider your topic's title and your first post. Let me close by saying (based on the flabbiness of your forearms evident in your whack-ass videos) maybe if you spent a little less money on hot pockets and toaster strudel you might be able to afford better plugins. Or, heaven forfend, a decent hardware synth (MS2000? tsk tsk).

You're really quite the prick, aren't you?

Guest hahathhat

ok - i wasn't feeling this plugin and i made a topic about it. it wasn't diplomatically phrased. calling anything 'crap' is not a good way to start a dialogue, and i apologize. most of the people who posted in this thread, however, are being irascible little shitheads. massive is just a thing, and i called it no good. calling me no good does not prove your point that massive is good.

The problem is hat, that you're an insufferable shithead who nobody in the world likes, so nobody gives a fuck what you have to say nor cares about any of your opinions, so it's not surprising when your stupid little observations are met with some smart ass comments.

ok - i wasn't feeling this plugin and i made a topic about it. it wasn't diplomatically phrased. calling anything 'crap' is not a good way to start a dialogue, and i apologize. most of the people who posted in this thread, however, are being irascible little shitheads. massive is just a thing, and i called it no good. calling me no good does not prove your point that massive is good.

Fair enough, although I'm certainly not interested in convincing you or anyone else that Massive is good, because I have no opinion on it one way or the other. In any case, what's the point of singling out any particular plug-in as being "crap"? Like 99 out of 100 plugins aren't also crap? Let us know when you find something that's useful and sounds good. That might actually be noteworthy.

first off, apologies for indeed being a bit harsh in my initial reaction. stupid internets.

massive ain't the holy grail of synths by any standard, but it's not really 'crap' either.

i'd suggest playing around with the performer modules - they're pretty flexible and do a lot more than the average arpeggiator can.

i've put together some pretty wild sounds with massive. i'll try to remember to upload one tonight - basically i was able to make an entire track with modulations of one massive sound. there's a lot of control flexibility and the performer / step sequencer can create one-key symphonies in no time.

if all else fails, play around with the randomiser... you can generatively create new wierd sounds.

and for the record, NI isn't going down the tubes due to piracy. they're going down the tubes due to a lack of vision, mismanagement, and poor product releases. it's really a shame, because there is (was) so much potential. i kinda look to ohmforce these days for the level of ingenuity and creativity i used to look to NI for.

love to all,

c

Archived