IGNORED

movies. good ones. seriously.

kokoon

sounds like my type of movie then. im fed up of films that are incredibly successful at changing my emotions for the worse, sometimes i just wanna sit off and watch a film you can just enjoy as a visual tale.

i know what you mean. like i'm watching Punch Drunk Love where every moment is hanging in the balance and i'm on the edgy of my seat completely stressed out about a love story. my job is stressful enough so i usually don't care to see these kinds of things.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest endangered betche

Some more good films that appear not to have been recently mentioned:

Gosford Park (directed by Altman; societal stratification in full effect)

Aguirre: The Wrath Of God (directed by Herzog; man's capacity for self-delusion)

The New World (directed by Malick; innocence of nature and great cinematography)

Amelie (directed by Jeunet; hyperrealistic good samaritan tale with career performance by Tautou)

Groundhog Day (directed by Ramis; Bill Murray at his most ridiculous and finest)

I'm a little scared to mention David Lynch, but Inland Empire was really very good: what's real and what's not taken to a new extreme. The more Lynch directs, the more pretentious he becomes, and his movies become more satisfying. I realize that makes no sense, but it's true. The Straight Story (curveball!) by Lynch is also good.

is holy mountian a film you can actually just sit down and enjoy though, or is it one of those gripping/distubring ones that keep soyu on the edge of your seat the whole way through. i genuinely have no idea what its about.

yeah, i mean there's one or two disturbing moments but over all the thing is just a sit back and chill type of movie. the tone isn't trying to disrupt the viewer or anything, if that's what you mean. its a comfortable movie to watch and i was happy about that. i love just watching the opening sequence over and over.

sounds like my type of movie then. im fed up of films that are incredibly successful at changing my emotions for the worse, sometimes i just wanna sit off and watch a film you can just enjoy as a visual tale.

okay yeah pcock then you totally need to see it. also since the imagery is so intense and rich i would highly recommend watching it on dvd and not torrenting it because this is the type of thing where you can really appreciate crystal clear details. i was lucky enough to see it in a theater last spring it played at the IFC in new york, fucking blew my mind to see it on the big screen. oh and one of the actresses who plays a prostitute in the film Ana de Sade is a total BABE.

el topo is another one by jodorowsky and excellent as well... this will sound faggy but his films gave me a new outlook on life, sort of like the first time you hear aphex or something :D

• 4 weeks later...

in the last few days i've seen:

Le Samurai - 'awesome' is just about the right word. recommend it to anyone.

Badlands - beautiful, after reading the synopsis i was afraid it will be too heavy, but no, it's BEAUTIFUL. everyone should see it.

The Prestige - quite poor actually. can't wrap my head around the fact that the makers thought angier's trick was clever...

so clever, they decided to 'reveal' it in the very last scene! come on, anyone who's read 10 sci-fi stories figured that out like half hour before.

i'm prolly gonna watch some woody allen now, the curse of the jade scorpion.

i wholeheartedly recommend "4 luni, 3 saptamani si 2 zile" (4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032846

..if you're into kind of movies like Piano Teacher and Three Colors: Blue.

sad that it didn't get an oscar nomination..the 3 "foreign" movies i've seen are much weaker in comparison

The Prestige - quite poor actually. can't wrap my head around the fact that the makers thought angier's trick was clever...
so clever, they decided to 'reveal' it in the very last scene! come on, anyone who's read 10 sci-fi stories figured that out like half hour before.

This was my basic feeling as well. I didn't think it was bad. They just needed a bit more of an interesting ending that would have lived up to the more interesting beginning I think. And yea, I had it figured out as soon as Scarlet Johannson was like "he has make up and fake beards all over the place" or whatever.

Watch some Kurosawa. I just watched Seven Samurai last night.

Guest Audiorama

Les amants réguliers

Clean

Cha no aji (The taste of tea)

Reprise

Das experiment

A clockwork orange (+ more Stanley Kubrick movies)

I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread already or not, but the Criterion of the Passion of Joan of Arc affected me more emotionally than any other movie I have ever seen. (probably my second favorite after Vertigo)

If you only see one silent movie ever, see The Passion of Joan of Arc.

Donnie Darko

Closer

wow no thank you

yea Nosferatu was good, but (in no way diminishing it, actually just watched it a few nights ago) it is no where near to the quality of The Passion of Joan of Arc.

here's a list of ones i have on my computer that i like

2001 a space odyssey

akira

amelie

bladerunner

dark days (documentary, haven't seen it yet)

fight club

memento

pi

RAVENOUS

the dark crystal

trainspotting

12 monkeys (haven't seen it yet :/

the wall (pink floyd)

Guest Brachiosaur

If you haven't seen Ofelas (Pathfinder) that one's a must if you can find it

oops but not "Pathfinder: The Legend of the Ghost Warrior", that has nothing to do with the original

Roman Polanski's The Tenant will probably blow your mind
Was just wondering which P. to watch with a friend. Much obliged for the recommendation.

Guest Adjective
Groundhog Day (directed by Ramis; Bill Murray at his most ridiculous and finest)

The Straight Story (curveball!) by Lynch is also good.

groundhog day, i was just about to say how cozy that comedy is to watch. like a nice feeling... the way a child rewatches something because they get comfort through repetition, it's that kind of feeling for me when i watch it. i don't think it's a "great" movie, but if i saw it in the $5 bin i'd definitely buy it. but mostly what i want to say about it is WTF:

IMDB

User Rating: 8.1/10 (84,920 votes)

Top 250: #184

wow... lol, i like it, but jeez

and Straight Story is great

i think it's the only lynch film that is acccesable for everyone and at the same time still definitely Lynch

12 Monkeys

i found a hi-def .mkv of this recently and rewatched, hadn't seen since my teens

i really love that movie. i kind of wish another director would've done it, gilliam seems to always draw out cartoonish performances from his actors, but i guess it helps you care a lot more about stowe and willis's char

Guest Brachiosaur

I was browsing imdb.com and they've got these plot keywords for every film. Some of the keywords are just retarded. Who thinks to himself "tonight I wanna see a film that's about being stabbed in the arm". Ah yes, stabbed in the arm: LOTR Return of the King

Archived