IGNORED

movies. good ones. seriously.

kokoon

Guest The Worm
Wife has been out of town all week so I ran through this list and scooped up a few movies to watch.

Primer - Pretty fucking cool movie, little hard to follow at first but definitely a good flick. I like most of Th!nk films though.

Fear & Loathing in Las Vega Criterion - Finally got around to getting this. Seen the movie a million times but this was the first time I've seen the Omnibus BBC episode with Hunter and Ralph Steadman. I've been reading his books alot lately, most recently Kingdom of Fear and Hey Rube. God damn I miss the man, his writing is dare I say soothing.

The Libertine - Another Depp flick. Really liked this one as well, pure debauchery and the play with all the dildos is fucking hilarious.

Vertigo - This one has been on my list of movies to see for years but I always forget about it. Finally glad I got around to seeing it, probably the best Hitchcock movie I've seen.

Also, even though I already own it, I wanted to second the previous recommendation of Roman Polanski's The Tenant. Such a fucked up but intriguing movie. I'm sure this movie provided at least partial inspiration for Ed Hollywood, which I didn't much care for. I got this as a gift, probably because it was in one of those .99 cent dvd bins at a gas station.

Tried to find Holy Mountain but nobody around here sells or rents it! Guess I'll have to get this one off amazon.

I also still have darjeeling unlimited to watch...Anyone know if this is any good?

/Thread Necromancy

I just rented Holy Mountain and the first two movies in the Trois Colours trilogy at Hollywood fucking Video. What is the world coming to?

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ataraxy2

Didn't read the other posts but the first one. Here's some suggestions for ya.

Godfather (I hate it but it's apparently good, you could like it)

Die Hard (if you haven't)

El Laberinto del fauno (or Pan's Labyrinth)

Lost Highway

Mulholland Drive

Requiem For A Dream

Cellular

Zodiac

The Prestige

There's some.

Guest Adjective
p.s. i think i'm the only watmm'r that hated The Holy Mountain

does falling asleep count as hating?

the king of kong. adjective recommended this and i picked it up. electronic music movie.

i got real emotionally involved in king of king.

ah cool, glad you liked it, whenever i recommend it to someone i'm always wondering if everyone one is going to feel it, such an odd subject / group of people.

i got a little glassy eyed during it, i bet on the right day i would of sobbed, but i saw it with 5-6 other people so i was all manned out and flexing the whole time, thinking about trucks.

watched a few flicks:

- short cuts: nothing special really, maybe even a bit boring at moments.

- la promesse: an excellent movie in all aspects, although i wasn't exactly in the right mood. i still enjoyed it though.

- no country for old men: i think this is a very fine example of a contemporary movie done right, i recommend this to everyone! a great movie!

- le double vie de veronique: a very special movie, liked it a lot! quite subtle though, i guess you have to be in the right mood, i was :)

- rushmore (wes anderson) - my first exposure to anderson. i thought it was clever, kind of has a special charm. bill murray!

- the royal tenenbaums (wes anderson) - very similar concept, but expanded with more (obviously somewhat autobiographic) characters.

- the life aquatic (wes anderson) - this is my least favorite anderson movie so far, can't make up my mind whether an average or a poor movie.

- the darjeeling limited (wes anderson) - awesome! my favorite movie by him, i really really liked this one. recommended!

- la promesse: an excellent movie in all aspects, although i wasn't exactly in the right mood. i still enjoyed it though.

I second this.

Guest Soothsayer

La Promesse is fantastic, everything by the Dardanne Bros. is fantastic...I highly recommend trying to find The Son and Rosetta.

Esp. all you Passion of Joan of Arc fans, Rosetta will strike a similar chord.

Also, nice call w/Double Life of Veronique :)

edit: I adore the ending of La Promesse. *possible spoiler below*

The look between those two, and then the pan out into a blur to signify the unknown ahead of them both. Really powerful stuff.

I recently picked up the Agnes Varda boxset on Criterion, recommend this very highly. La Bonheur has had me thinking about it since I watched it about 2-3 weeks ago...

I watched [REC] the other day. It wasn't until the last 10 minutes that I was really freaked out, so you could say that the last 10 minutes actually saves the movie - but luckily it's only 1 hour and 15 minutes long.

Guest acridavid

Pretty much everything of David Lynch and Tarkovsky. Bergman did some good movies too.

Here's a list :P Some easygoing stuff in there too:

American Beauty

Blue Velvet

Cloverfield

Fanny och Alexander

Fight Club

Kill Bill

Inland Empire

One Hour Photo

Persona

Reservoir Dogs

Sin Dity

Solaris

Stalker

Star Wars (obviously!)

The Godfather

The Mirror

The Shining

Trainspotting

good anime movies:

Animatrix

Grave of the Fireflies

Howl's Moving Castle

My Neighbor Totoro

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Guest cardan
...Tarkovsky...Bergman...

Fanny och Alexander

Persona

Solaris

Stalker

The Mirror

well said! most of the movies i own are from those two

Guest Soothsayer

Probably already mentioned this in this thread...but I'm tellin' ya folks, all you people who like colorful/psychedelic/mystical stuff, get the Sergei Paradjanov boxset that just came out on Kino. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors is a film you won't forget, I promise...

I figure if I name 20 films you'll never watch any of them, but if I name one you probably will. As the first person to reply said. VERTIGO. you must see that film. it is one of the best films ever made. Don't read any spoilers just watch the damn film and die happy.

p.s. North by northwest is also amazing. As if you're asking about the best films here and you havent even gotten your feet wet with hitchcock yet?!? wtf!

Guest The Vidiot

Just watched The Wicker Man for the first time. I guess it was pretty cool. It wasn't as intense of a existential horror as I would have liked, but whatevs.

Guest Peteisyourfriend
Apocalypse Now

looks good, keeps popping up in top10s, is this a good one to watch with my wife?

K, movies that are cool and you can watch with wifey

1. CQ - personal all time favorite. excellent plot, acting, and soundtrack. do you like hot blondes? what about sci fi 70's space suits? directed and written by roman coppola, francis ford coppola's son (the godfather, sophia coppola's brother (lost in translation).

2. Lost in translation - had to put this one up here for the simple reason of one line,

Premium Fantasy woman: Mr. Kazu sent me, premium fantasy. My stockings. Lip them.

Premium Fantasy woman: Lip my stockings. Yes, please, Lip them.

Bob: What?

Premium Fantasy woman: Lip them. HEY! Lip my stocking!

Bob: Hey? Lip them? Lip them? What?

3. Adaptation - the evolution scene alone is worth watching this. this is everything that movies should be, comedy, suspense, drama, ect ect.

4. American Movie - another one of my all time fav movies. a documentary that winds up turning into a real life comedy. no actors, just regular people living their lives out occasionally getting smashed while trying to make a b-grade horror flick with no budget. and no this isn't one of those fucked up wannabe documentaries sans gey witch project, or that other godzilla meteor movie where ze kids are at a party and then chaos ensues and they walk around town to investigate (sorry too lazy to google the title). fuck them.

5. Last but not least "THREE AMIGOS!". sorry had to throw that in there for good measure. this post was getting too fucking artsy even for my taste.

All That Jazz (!)

This is one of the greatest glitz & glam displays of showmanship i've ever barred witness to. if you're interested in theatre in anyway its imperative that you see this, and if you're not interested in it you still have to see this thing. The editor of this film gets up, puts on a glittered top hat and does a goddamn tap dance, cause its a rare occasion i ever see editing energize a movie like they've done here. can't say enough good things about it.

funny it kinda reminds me of Network in ways, one of them being that they were done around the same time. i'd gone on about this over at That Other Site™ too.

but the illusionist was worst

anybody who shittalks a movie with magic and nikola tesla is obviously into first wives club or some nonsense

just watched wristcutters, something my girlfriend got on netflix. looked like a boring quirky indie comedy like thumbsucker and rocket science and all that bullshit, but it was slightly better than my preconceptions were. plus tom waits was in it, try and argue that.

paranoid park wasn't that bad; underwhelming end, but follows in the tradition of elephant in that sense.

gonna watch la comunidad, if you haven't seen that yet check it out. landlord finds a lot of money in a dead man's apartment as she prepares to sell it to a new buyer, a fair amount of deception from what i can remember. we'll see though.

also, children of paradise, old epic french romantic drama set loosely within the time of the french resistance, gonna watch that soon.

Archived