IGNORED

movies. good ones. seriously.

kokoon

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WhoNeedsElectricity

I tend to sort movies into two categories: good fun and thought provoking. Three off the top of my head I can think of are "Survive Style 5+" and "Sukiyaki Western Django" for fun, and "The Battle of Algiers" if you're looking for some beautiful cinematography and serious viewing. And then there are those that toe the line, like "The Road Warrior" and "Riki-Oh".

Guest WhoNeedsElectricity
"Sukiyaki Western Django"

is this the miike one with quentin tarantino? i heard it kind of sucked...

Definitely not a fantastically deep movie, but great visuals, and oddball humor. The reason I've heard that most people don;t like it is that all the non-native English speaking Japanese have all English lines. It sounds pretty garbled, but it's definitely a creative, if poorly executed idea.

It sounds pretty garbled, but it's definitely a creative, if poorly executed idea.

youve just described about 90% of miikes oeuvre.

ill probably end up checking it out tho. at the very least itll be entertaining

thanks to soothsayer:

saw tati's "mon oncle" last night, really liked it! fantastic contemporary film (comedy!) from 1958!!! i'll definitely check out more works of Jacques Tati.

and i've just finished malick's "days of heaven". after watching badlands (also thin red line), i knew this guy was teh awesome. days of heaven is beautiful. recommended!!!

oh, and i've also seen herzog's "enigma of caspar hauser". top quality film, what else should i see from this guy?

Guest Soothsayer

Tati films are always 100% assured win in any date situation. I feel stupid for not automatically figuring that out before seeing it in practice, but there ya go. Check out Play Time next, great for all the same reasons Mon Oncle's great.

For more Herzog stuff, check the following...

For his fictional films: Woyzeck, Aguirre: The Wrath of God(if ya haven't already), Heart of Glass(this one seems a bit more polarizing, one of my favorites), Fitzcarraldo, Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht, and Stroszeck

Documentaries: The Land of Silence and Darkness(after Kaspar Hauser, this is my favorite Herzog film), The Great Ecstasy of the Sculptor Steiner, Fata Morgana, La Soufriere, and Lessons in Darkness.

There are a ton of Herzog fans up here that probably have their own opinions on the matter :)

tati... i'm not exactly sure about it being 100% win in any date situation... :) my girlfriend fell asleep halfway through. truth be told, mon oncle's ~20 lines of text in 2 hours make it feel longer than it is, so i'd say it might not be everybody's cup. i loved it though, play time is next, i already have it!

herzog - thanks for those!

Guest Soothsayer

I could easily fall asleep to a Tati film if I was tired. His are most certainly visual feasts. There are probably sight gags in Play Time which *still* haven't been found by anyone. One of the coolest films ever to see on a huge screen(or huge tv).

yeah, i can only speak for mon oncle so far, but i can definitely see i'll be returning to it for more. such attention to detail, such cleverness... and simply fantastic design of everything visual. i don't know who's responsible for design of things in mon oncle - like the garden, the furniture, the house, the streets... but it's genius! i've only seen one film from each, but i found greenaway's ZOO visually pleasing for similar reasons.

der todesking

this is the ending, but it gives absolutely nothing away. an unexpectedly haunting film. (especially considering this is the guy that made the nekromantik movies)

really great soundtrack too, i just downloaded it.

Guest analogue wings
"Sukiyaki Western Django"

is this the miike one with quentin tarantino? i heard it kind of sucked...

Definitely not a fantastically deep movie, but great visuals, and oddball humor. The reason I've heard that most people don;t like it is that all the non-native English speaking Japanese have all English lines. It sounds pretty garbled, but it's definitely a creative, if poorly executed idea.

Probably the worst Miike of the 6 or so I have seen. BUT a bad Miike is still more interesting than 90% of other "arty" filmmakers. Plus it's the only one I have experienced in a cinema so far.

Guest analogue wings
BUT a bad Miike is still more interesting than 90% of other "arty" filmmakers.

oh i beg to differ

I decline your request to differ

i like miike, but i figure hes only done about three solid films

visitor q

ichi the killer

gozu

id say thats all you really need from him

yeah so i just watched sunshine

pretty good

some of the scientific inaccuracies annoyed me, but that's par for the course rly

did the semi-switch to horror/murder mystery sorta thing remind anyone else of shallow grave? i can see why people find it annoying.

there were many avenues left unexplored in that movie. still, kickass CGI sun! not a bad flick at all

Archived