• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest grinningcat

this is film over rated

-meandering

-I feel its trying to make some kind of point

-music only fits in sections

best scene is when the click clack soundtrack kicks is when the shit hits the fan (you know the bit i mean)

I think the best scenes are the atmospheric ones at the beginning. When the 'shit-hits-the-fan-bit' comes, things start to get a bit less interesting in my opinion.

It's a tad bit overrated, maybe - but it's definitely worth watching.

Guest Enter a new display name

I watched "There Will Be Blood" yesterday night. I really liked but it is somewhat overrated.

• 1 month later...
Guest Deep Fried Everything

just biked in to say that, despite daniel day-lewis' academy award-winning performance, this movie was not very good.

Especially the scoring, omnipresent in the worst way possible. Wayyyyyy too active and lively and (unnecessary??) in many many parts.

I'm about halfway through upton sinclair's "oil" which for the record is a pretty damn good read. So my question is how closely does the movie parallel the book, I think either way I will watch the movie

this week's episode of according to jim was titled "I drink your milkshake". And after the milkshake drinking contest, jim belushi yelled "I'm finished. I'm finnnnished" or however it was in the movie.

accordingtojim.JPG

Guest endangered betche
I'm about halfway through upton sinclair's "oil" which for the record is a pretty damn good read. So my question is how closely does the movie parallel the book, I think either way I will watch the movie

The movie is essentially drawn from the first 200 pages of the book. The book goes off on some very convoluted political tangents and has a rather tacked on ending, as if Sinclair didn't know how to finish it but knew it was getting too long.

Mediocre book, awesome movie; fuck the haters!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rook

Saw this last night. I was a little disappointed. I liked the first half much more than the second. The movie was interesting. But I don't think I would call it good, or bad. The score was interesting, but it didn't always work with the film. The director clearly had some skill, and daniel day lewis was phenomenal, but in general I thought the story was a little hokey. Big bad oil man. Faggot evangelical. Poor deaf boy.

The best part by far was the first fifteen minutes where there was no dialog. Very 2001.

The best part by far was the first fifteen minutes where there was no dialog. Very 2001.

yeah, thought the same thing.

well, you guys should definitely check out other films by PTA, if you haven't seen them yet. pretty good director

Guest DMWalles

How can you not love this movie, or at least D-Day's performance. Some of the lines are just so awesome.

"One of these days I'm going to find you where ever you're sleeping and I'm going to cut your throat."

"Hi, I'm Henry. I'm your brother from another mother."

"I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!"

"I'm going to bury you Ely. I'm going to put you underground."

The best film of the year. And 2007 had some great films: The Savages, Into the Wild, No Country for Old Men, The Assassination of Jesse James, 3:10 to Yuma, American Gangster, Kite Runner, Atonement, Michael Clayton, Away From Her, The Host, Sweeny Todd, Charlie Wilson's War, Valley of Elah, Juno, Superbad, Walk Hard..........best year of the decade easily for film.

How can you not love this movie, or at least D-Day's performance. Some of the lines are just so awesome.

great lines a great movie does not necessarily make, my friend.

also, some of the other movies you are lauding and giving cred to '07 as best year of the decade are Really not that great, IMHO (and some of them probably suck).

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

OK, so which filmmaker is more overrated: PTA or Aranofsky?

they are probably both overrated, i tend to like aranofsky's flicks better but i can see where people would criticize.

there were a lot of stylistic touches that pta added to "there will be..." which i thought the movie could have done without, but when i think of westerns, i think of absolute minimalism (in many different respects, score, dialogue, etc) as the ideal. and clearly, thats not the only way of making it, just what i prefer.

Terrible soundtrack. Sounded like it was done in a hurry by someone who did not know what he was doing (and it was). I'm all for originality but it just didn't fit. I think a subtle score would have been much more appropriate. Very enjoyable movie anyway though.

Screeds better than The Fountain, since the thread is on that tangent. Thats not even an opinion, it's an empirical fact. Aronofsky's off the rails and this pta guy is still doing ok by me. :ok:

the fountain took the struggle presented in the swayze movie "road house", where the enlightened buddhist battles against the evil conquistador (here portrayed as a capitalist), and made that struggle internalized in hugh jackman. that was the fountain. road house, made more pretentious.

I still really like there will be blood.

I'VE ABANDONED MY BOY LOL

indeed... i yell this at my son sometimes!

unlike most of you, i know nothing of the hype of this film. i don't watch much tv at all or any award shows. so i watched this flick without all that in mind... and i'm down with it!

Guest vodor

the only time i found the soundtrack to be bad was during the mud scene. the piano was waaaaaay out place.

Archived